Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agentbromsnor

Where's my dynamic lights? :V

So, I've recently tried getting back into Doom mapping, and my favorite sourceport of choice for this was always GZDoom. So I go to the page, download the latest version of GZDoom and run my map (in UDMF format) with it. I notice: no dynamic lights! I know for a fact that it had dynamic lights in the earlier versions, so why is it not in this version? I really don't know. And before you say it, yes I included the PK3 files that came with the zip.

Strangely enough, the dynamic lights from the floor lamps seem to work, but all the dynamic lights from the 'Light' entity don't seem to work.

Here's some screenshots demonstrating this case.

In GZDoom:

In GZDoom Builder:

Also: in 3D mode of GZDoom Builder the dynamic lights also work. What the hell happened?

You don't have to.
You could always define new actors in DECORATE that don't actually render anything and make them call a dynamic light in their NULL spawn state.
Basically it's like the floor lamps but only invisible.
Besides that, yes, you have to use ACS to activate all of the point light entities in your map.

jdagenet said:

You don't have to.
You could always define new actors in DECORATE that don't actually render anything and make them call a dynamic light in their NULL spawn state.
Basically it's like the floor lamps but only invisible.
Besides that, yes, you have to use ACS to activate all of the point light entities in your map.

Did you read my comment just now? I just activated them using ACS, and it doesn't work.

Agentbromsnor said:

Did you read my comment just now? I just activated them using ACS, and it doesn't work.

I didn't see your edit.

If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas.
That's always how I get my dynamic point lights to work in-game.

jdagenet said:

I didn't see your edit.

If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas.
That's always how I get my dynamic point lights to work in-game.

Then allow me to rephrase my question:

Why does GZDoom suck? I never had any of this bullshit with the older versions.

This is my code:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 (void)
{
Thing_Activate (1);
}

So unless this just happens to not be the right script, I'd like to get an earlier version of GZDoom that doesn't suck.

Agentbromsnor said:

Then allow me to rephrase my question:

Why does GZDoom suck? I never had any of this bullshit with the older versions.

I've never had this problem with any versions of GZDoom.
Just to be clear, you were able to compile the ACS code just fine weren't you?
I just want to make sure that this is a GZDoom problem rather than some faulty ACS scripting.

EDIT:
Your ACS code looks to be correct so you're fine there.
I honestly don't know what the problem is here.

If you're including the lights.pk3 as you say and activate the lights via ACS, I don't see why there would be a problem.

jdagenet said:

I've never had this problem with any versions of GZDoom.
Just to be clear, you were able to compile the ACS code just fine weren't you?
I just want to make sure that this is a GZDoom problem rather than some faulty ACS scripting.

Yep.

Edit: HEY I'M GRUMP! :V

Agentbromsnor said:

script 1 (void)

Are you activating them by a switch, or do you want them activated when the level starts? If the latter, this line should say script 1 OPEN.

Bloodshedder said:

Are you activating them by a switch, or do you want them activated when the level starts? If the latter, this line should say script 1 OPEN.

Thank you good sir, this solved the problem. Sorry for being grumpy. :)

If the dynamic lights worked before, they will also work in a new version of GZDoom.
There is absolutely no need for scripting to have them light up a scene.

The one thing that comes to mind, did you set the flags?

[edit]
NVM: I see you fixed your problem.

So just to be clear: From now on, dynamic lights have to be activated in ACS for them to appear in newer versions of GZDoom? I don't play map with them, myself, mostly because it's a pain to have to release a whole second version of a map without all the lights, or else ZDoom players will see <!>'s everywhere.

schwerpunk said:

So just to be clear: From now on, dynamic lights have to be activated in ACS for them to appear in newer versions of GZDoom?

No, definitely not. You can make mods where dynamic lights get activated/deactivated by ACS but placing a non-dormant light actor, or using another actor with a dynamic light attached works just like it always has; without the need for ACS.

Enjay said:

No, definitely not. You can make mods where dynamic lights get activated/deactivated by ACS but placing a non-dormant light actor, or using another actor with a dynamic light attached works just like it always has; without the need for ACS.

Well, this is certainly true. The dynamic light coming from the 'floor lamp' for example is always there without ACS activation. But having to activate all the regular 'light' entities is something new to me. I remember them working fine in the past, by just placing them without any ACS code what so ever.

I suppose, looking back at this issue, it DOES have its advantages in terms of having control over all your (light) entities like that. I just couldn't find this 'change' documented very well.