Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Your most frustrating moment?

Maes said:

Playing some random PWADs which had one-time doors and platforms which could not be lowered again, which however were necessary to cross for completing the level. If you didn't know that and somehow backtracked/fell off them, you got stuck in Limbo.

IDCLIP?

"Stuck" in The Pit, waiting imps and demons to start infighting, have little health, no armor, have no bullets, have 2 shells, forget I have berserk, forget I have BFG, totally forget if I had rockets... and the imps formed a line in front of the demons, so they don't infight... arggh!

The Citadel was pretty annoying having to find secrets to find the blue and yellow keys.

Most frustrating moments?
1- Pain elementals releasing lots of lost souls when surrounded by other monsters in a way I can't get the formers hit.
2- To find out that the layout of the map I'm playing has bilateral symmetry -_-.

Jimi said:

... and the imps formed a line in front of the demons, so they don't infight...

when I use demons along with other monsters in narrow spaces in my maps I choose to put them behing the other species just to prevent their premature death (teeth against missiles is not fair), but yeah, certainly annoying for the player.

Talking about frustrating maps, I can't avoid thinking in two of them: MAP30 from Eternal Doom (Excalibur) and MAP29 from Community Chest I (Citadel at the Edge of Eternity). It took me years to finish them.

Horizontal autoaim in general. Firing rockets or plasma down a narrow hallway should be a case of 'point-n-shoot' that isn't disrupted by some shitweasel zombie in a cage to the side. Or when firing at a moving target on higher ground, and shit-tastic autoaim decides to fire to the side and just cause shots to completely fucking miss the target.

Keyboard control or not, I've never fucking needed horizontal autoaim. It's shit. Complete and utter fucking shit.

Two major ones cropped up on me trying out the NOVA: The Birth beta:

1) When you're playing quick, small and sometimes challenging levels only to suddenly find yourself in a meat-grinding session (like MAP09: Suspend) or a much, much larger map

2) When the secret level turns out to be some incredibly abstract puzzling session or a straight-up slaughter map despite everything you've played up until then being fairly normal. Iron Exuviae was really not a map I wanted to play. Much less so when it's between me and a fun little concept map or continuing on through some enjoyable and short(ish, by this point) maps

This happens fairly often. I also find it frustrating when "the difficulty ramping up" just means "turns into slaughter maps". Which seems to be more the rule than the exception and is probably what has put me off the traditional 32-map megaWAD. They just get dull and grind-y for me. I'm happy playing something like that when I know it's what I've signed up for and I won't be playing it for hours. Worst part for me now is that I find myself getting tired of a consistent style too if it goes on fairly long. I got bored of Unholy Realms, which by all accounts is great, about half way through.

Bored of Doom itself, perhaps? I dunno. It has been 20 years, so I guess it stands to reason.

Phobus said:

I also find it frustrating when "the difficulty ramping up" just means "turns into slaughter maps". Which seems to be more the rule than the exception and is probably what has put me off the traditional 32-map megaWAD. They just get dull and grind-y for me.

This. And it's almost always in the same way. Wall of Revenants. Block of Hellknights. Wall of Revenants. Insta-raise of Demons. Wall of Revenants.

Repeat ad nauseam.

BaronOfStuff said:

Keyboard control or not, I've never fucking needed horizontal autoaim. It's shit. Complete and utter fucking shit.

You are fully entitled to think that, but you are wrong. Objectively. You have no fucking idea how frustrating it'd be to aim at vertically misplaced targets without it. I'm telling you now. So you can stop whining. Goddamn.

No specific wads come to mind, but contenders for most frustrating moment would be either:

1) Dying ON TOP OF HEALTH, be it a stimpack, medikit or soul/megasphere, etc. When the sprite is taking up the whole screen just staring back at you, man, that is annoying.

2) Doing really well and getting a bit overconfident; that is, choosing not to save because the map isn't particularly balls hard/long. The frustrating moment occurs when I die near the exit, or at least very far along the map, something that could have been prevented by a simple save.

I was playing one of the Community Chests a while back and the VERY FIRST MAP was an unholy evil. It was named 'Pistol Panic', and it was as bad as it sounds. Imagine my horror, fighting powerful monsters with nothing more than a pistol. I can still see myself face-to-face with an arachnotron in a small room, desperately ducking behind small pieces of cover, playing hit and run with the beast as I kill it one bullet at a time.

It was the most torturous map I have ever played; the kind of thing that Doomguy probably has Vietnam War-style flashbacks about.

dew said:

vertically misplaced targets

What does that mean? Like monsters walking on a ledge so high that they're off your screen?

By far the most frustrating moments come from playing a map that is claimed to work with a particular exe/complevel or port, but turns out not to due to inadequate testing.

Job said:

IDCLIP?

That's the mark of a quality map right there. Worse still are those maps that have inescapable but non-damaging pits, with the textfile asking you to consider yourself dead and restart....yeah, right. Even worse if there are escapable pits on the same map.

It's a bit unfitting, since it's more of a map-specific rant rather than something that pertains to gameplay in a general sense, but my internal scream synthesizers get cranked up to 11 when I run into a map whose layout centers around a square room with a door on each side. You know, the one where you have 4 doors, three locked with each key, and you have to go into each 'spoke', retrieve the key, and backtrack to the center just to do it all over again. Nuck that foise.

In specific, "Collider Complex" from Plut2 and "Cardinal Points" from HTChest are the two big offenders that stick out in my mind for whatever reason. Also, the former has no structures that actually look like a collider, so double-boo. :(

Rant complete.

XCOPY said:

You are playing 1x1 against someone, you shoot and all the pellets pass through your enemy like if he was a ghost, when you were supposed to get a kill.

Yea... I don't know if this is port specific bug (ZDaemon), but there is nothing more frustrating than that. It may seem a lie but once I did 3 point blank SSG shots (my enemy was standing still). Some spectators spying my view went full wtf.

That's actually a well-known flaw in Doom's hitscan algorithm (it happens in vanilla as well): put simply, if the centre of a Thing is close to the edge of a blockmap block, so that part of the Thing's bounding box overlaps into the next block, the overlapping part cannot be hit. Up to half of the Thing will be completely impervious to hitscan attacks (projectiles are not affected, as their collision detection does take into account Things overlapping blocks).

Shooting rockets down on some enemies, but then the rocket hits the floor next to me. Or similar situation with some sector fences that look like it would be possible to shoot a rocket to other side/little below player's floor level.. but then it hits the fence, and maybe I was standing right next to the fence too.

Standing still with the chainsaw and waiting for the demon to come close, but then somehow the demon gets into a distance where it can hit, but I can't.. and letting it bite a few times before realising to move forward.

We're talking about the original Doom, right? Because nearly all my frustrating moments with the franchise have occurred within Doom 3.