Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Rekoil publisher allegedly silencing negative criticism

Nomad said:

I'd be less surprised if ALL reviews were snuffed, since it's not uncommon these days for publishers to have gag orders out on the press until games actually release. Usually, though, that tends to mean the game sucks and the publisher wants to keep that fact quiet as long as possible.

It's open beta right now, they have no right to do this now. Closed beta, I can understand not revealing details to the public due to NDA but not open beta where the public can access it.

Ichor said:

I try to start in Madagascar so I have a better chance ot winning.

I hope more people got that joke, because I think it's really good :P

EDIT:

Regarding the CS hate. Whether you like it or not, the game is old-school. Yes, I hated it too, but over time I admitted to myself that it was because of those 3 poor reasons:

1) I was a Quake fanboy and CS "killed" Quake in terms of popularity.
2) My skills from Quake didn't transition into CS as it was too different of a game.
3) I sucked at it, plain and simple.

However, compared to some newer games, even of the same genre (multiplayer tactical shooter), it still plays different. It definitely qualifies as "old school" in my book.

I don't like Counter-strike, because it's just not my type of game. I don't like spending more time in the limbo than actually playing and unfortunately that's often the case. However, objectively speaking it is a very good game and I can understand its appeal. It also requires skill, but different than twitch shooters (Doom, Quake). Anyone who thinks otherwise is welcome to compete in a big CS tournament and defeat those "noobs".

I say the above as a Doom / Quake fanboy. Let's be objective guys.

I'm not saying this is an acceptable thing to do, but I suppose it's fortunate that I haven't paid attention to any sort of review since I don't know when and instead relied on word of mouth and my own instincts. It saves me from getting deceived by nefarious stratagems like this, in the event that I wasn't aware of any stratagem at all.

Btw, any game over 10 years old is "old school" in my book, and I've been playing games for the best part of three decades. Just because there's older titles than CS doesn't mean it's not an old ass game. Get over it.

DoomUK said:

Btw, any game over 10 years old is "old school" in my book, and I've been playing games for the best part of three decades. Just because there's older titles than CS doesn't mean it's not an old ass game. Get over it.

I agree, the "10 year period" is a good measurement to go by. Lots of things can happen in the gaming industry over 10 years.

Here's a solution, think of games which are 20 years old as "ancient" and games 10 years old as "old".

I always thought the term "oldschool" carried a different meaning when it came to games, or music. More in the sense of "classic" or "in the old style". Even a new game can be oldschool by using classic game mechanics or anachronistic graphics, just as a band can record an oldschool rock album, but it can't be old until the years stack up.

In that sense I don't consider CS very oldschool, because modern games don't stray far from its concept and style, not to mention Valve just cloning it with updated graphics over and over. On the other hand, I play Doom, so the mindset skew is pretty obvious, and choosing 1.6 over GO is probably pretty hardcore oldschool, heh.

No one talking about how the leader of the team wants to make money selling community maps?

I doubt the negative criticism they'll get for this game is anywhere near what they got on Ashes Cricket 2013. That was one hilarious game. Makes WOW.wad look good.

Oldschool should mean more than just old, otherwise what are we going to use the word "old" for?

Oldschool should refer to the old way of doing things, eg 2D platformers.

Cacatou said:

I doubt the negative criticism they'll get for this game is anywhere near what they got on Ashes Cricket 2013. That was one hilarious game. Makes WOW.wad look good.

Yea, they pulled it off Steam after only a few days and it getting grilled when it came to the reviews.

A game about Cricket? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashes_Cricket_2013

Seems like 505 Productions has a history of bad press.

Looks like Rekoil was pushed back? Steampowered says Jan 28th, but it also says February. http://store.steampowered.com/app/243320/

Reading some of the Rekoil review, its like CS or CS:GO. If Rekoil tries to be them, why buy Rekoil when you'd already have CS:GO already? Why not go ultra futuristic CS:GO? Tap into the sci-fi demographic. Anyway, I predict a grave for this game.

Well, this sucks. I was actually thinking about getting this game as I'd been looking for a modern shooter that plays more like Q3A/UT99 than CS (tried CS:GO and that wasn't my cup of tea) or CoD or Battlefield. Really crappy how they wanna sell community maps, too. :\

Glad I saved myself $11. :V

geo said:

Seems like 505 Productions has a history of bad press.

That definitely seems to be the case. They published Payday 2 and even though that game sold pretty well and it's received generally favorable reviews, it felt rushed when it first came out (compared to the first Payday game). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if 505 was the reason for that.

Nems said:

I was actually thinking about getting this game as I'd been looking for a modern shooter that plays more like Q3A/UT99 than CS

You could always try Nexuiz, it's a free game made in the spirit of Quake 3 Arena, it has bots and a solo mode: http://www.alientrap.org/games/nexuiz

Nems said:

Well, this sucks. I was actually thinking about getting this game as I'd been looking for a modern shooter that plays more like Q3A/UT99 than CS (tried CS:GO and that wasn't my cup of tea) or CoD or Battlefield. Really crappy how they wanna sell community maps, too. :\

Glad I saved myself $11. :V

That definitely seems to be the case. They published Payday 2 and even though that game sold pretty well and it's received generally favorable reviews, it felt rushed when it first came out (compared to the first Payday game). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if 505 was the reason for that.

Ah now I remember, that's where I knew them from. I only played the Beta of Payday 2 and it felt cramped. They supposedly made profit before the game was released, which is all that matters.

I'm not surprised the makers of a game about "freedom fighters" may be resorting to censorship.

DoomUK said:

Old school in terms of what? It's not about time, but about styles, design and technology. In terms of our "classic" part of the community, the threshold between old school and new school is more or less at (the first) Quake.

What Quasar's post was saying is that he's into (classic) DOOM tech and sets most other newer games apart, which he might not be interested in or might simply distinguish as rather unrelated. His words declare part of points of view that contribute to what makes this community identifiable and independent. The point of view that's implicit in the way he posted is the one that's tied to the way he codes Eternity or does other things in this community.

In your response, rather than clarifying facts you're also expressing a point of view, which lacks the distinctions and interests Quasar expressed and implies that certain characteristics and aspects of this community are relative or not too relevant.

CS is not old school here for many people and whoever is annoyed or surprised at that fact is confused or ignorant but might actually know better now that I posted this.

myk said:

CS is not old school here for many people and whoever is annoyed or surprised at that fact is confused or ignorant but might actually know better now that I posted this.

Just to clarify: the tone was surprising, not the thought.

I'm not judging though.

myk said:

Old school in terms of what? It's not about time, but about styles, design and technology.

In the arena of video games, styles, design and technology are fairly correlative to the time in which they're conceived. Even games which are marketed as being "old school" fail to avoid this in one way or another. You don't have to be savvy with game programming to recognise that ten years inculcates a lot of developments in games (whether or not some or all of these developments result in more enjoyable games for the player is a whole other topic for another time, not that I'm particularly eager to get bogged down with this).

Maybe my views are marred by not having fared well in Doomworld popularity contests, but CS is "old school" for me, at least in the way the term was used in the first place. Certainly not as old school as Doom or Quake, but that's beside the point. It looks and plays like a game from 2000, and bears only a passing resemblance to the more current epidemic of modern military shooters. Whoever is annoyed or surprised by this is confused or ignorant. ;)

DoomUK said:
but CS is "old school" for me, at least in the way the term was used in the first place.

That's true, from Big Jawn's point of view it makes sense. I probably shouldn't have backed Quasar's posting to such an extent since he himself didn't respect contexts that much. If anything, I'm saying people should be used to the fact people here may feel even CS is "new school" and that it's not so crazy... but then maybe others can get used to the fact others can't easily fathom it :)