Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

Unhelpful random facts

Maes said:

Did the temperature actually hit -50C as sensationalist news outlets claim, or is it just a perceived -50C? I read that the actual temperatures are closer to -20C, and it's just the winds that drive the "cold perception temperature" into Mars territory.

Wind chills (using the new formula, which exaggerates less at the low end of the scale) were at times in that range across a wide area, though -40 was more typical. If you have heard really crazy-sounding figures, then they might have been using the old formula (and/or getting F and C mixed up).

Actual air temperatures in the Twin Cities got a little below -30C, and were in the high -20Cs most of the time. Further north they were closer to -40C. Still some way off the MN all-time record, which is -64F (-53C) for Embarrass, MN (unofficial) and -60F (-51C) for Tower, MN (offical).

All-time record low the the Twin Cities is c. -40. But what made the last couple of days so dangerous was that there was also some wind; often on the coldest days (such as Embarrass's -64F) there is little wind.

(I don't give F or C for -40 because that's where the two scales are the same.)

Feth is not a sci-fi word for fuck.

Doomworld has a special moderator employed solely to change "Mancubi" into "Mancubuses" in the New stuff reviews. Just like Incubi and Succubi should be Incubuses and Succubuses?

EDIT: Just spotted this:

darknation said:

my cock still looks like a poisonous mushroom.

You win the thread. But your princess is in another castle.

yukib1t said:

The following is a grammatically correct sentence in English that even makes sense:
So is this, even though it's completely nonsensical.

Where was Was set, Set? Where was Set set Was. Set set Was where?
Where Set was setting Set set Set setting Was Setting where Set was where Set was setting Set Setting where Was was setting Set Setting was where Set set Was.

darknation said:

my cock still looks like a poisonous mushroom.

I find this fact quite helpful.
Banned for off-topic posting.

MajorRawne said:

The script for "Weird Science" was allegedly written in two days.

I am directly related to Australian outlaw/hero Ned Kelly. He's my cousin by blood and he looks exactly like my brother Gary.

1. No Holds Barred was written in 72 hours.
2. Eric Clapton's sister was really his mother.
3. While playing Achilles in the movie Achilles, Brad Pitt's injured his Achilles tendon.
4. In the movie Breakdown, Kurt Russel broke both of his legs. This is why people need stunt men.
5. Propane is odorless, but an odor is added in case of a gas leak.
6. I was an extra in beer commercials, the Breakup, Stranger than Fiction and a few others. All of which I was told I'd be paid for and was never paid.
7. Mila Kunis lied about her age to get on That 70s Show.
8. Cats cannot climb on 90 degree angles above them.
9. Bart Simpson would be 34 years old now.
10. GW Bush now paints pictures of dogs.
11. Saturn's moon Titan has more oil than Earth
12. Jupiter has a moon named Beetlejuice (Beetlegeuse).
13. Teddy Roxpin was responsible for getting Nintendo into stores.
14. Nelix always called Tuvok 'Mr. Vulcan,' because that is how he introduced himself.
15. Santa Catalina Island has ferule cats that attack people.
16. Hershey isn't the only product with a town named after it.
17. The Stanford Prison experiment put normal people as prisoners or guards to study the psychological effects on prisoners and guards.
18. Mouths of the deceased are wired shut so there couldn't be zombies. Not to mention rigor mortis would prevent muscle movement.
19. Fishing is the deadliest sport.
20. Studies have found that blondes make others around them dumber.
21. Four 3 year olds made it into MENSA in 2013.
22. Researchers found teens with high IQs drink twice as many beers than adults with low IQs.

1. My chinese made replica Mauser C96 airsoft gun has exactly eight visible screws on the right side that require a philips screwdriver to remove expertly
2. I still do not have a custom user title on Doomworld, despite having done or said anything deserving or undeserving of one
3. The Bounty Hunters Bossk and Dengar (Lizard and Wrapped Head Man) from the film The Empire Strikes Back both appear, fleetingly, in the films sequel, Return of the Jedi. Boba Fett also appears in both films, albeit much larger roles than the other two.
4. After the introduction of the Bounty Hunters in ESB, the droid IG-88 and the mask used for Zuckuss (The Bug) both appear later in the film during the droid teardown scene. IG-88 is near the furnace (Having been destroyed by Fett in the EU) and the mask used for Zuckuss is used as the head of another droid, albeit missing the goggles and breathing apparatus. THe droid bounty hunter 4-LOM (Who stood next to Zuckuss) only appears in the ESB Bounty Hunter scene, and appears no where else in the rest of the trilogy.
5. The Star Wars Holiday Special was garbage, but recycled several deleted scenes from the original Star Wars movie, including a scene on Tatooine and a (modified) conversation between Darth Vader and an Officer named Bast, who otherwise only appears in one scene during Star Wars' climax.
6. The song House of Wolves by My Chemical Romance was inspired a Looney Toones episode
7. A spin off Jurassic Park Cartoon series was planned for the late 90s subtitled "Chaos Effect". While a toy line was released for the show, the show itself never materialized, and several toys in the line were never released or received a very small release. Some of these are known to be on the market, and are some of the most sought out collectibles, fetching huge prices when they do tend to appear, though they don't reach sealed Star Wars heights
8. The original Carnotaurus toy with the Jurassic Park licensce is not exactly rare, but they fetch high prices ranging from 50 to 200 dollars in or out of packaging. However, one Carnotaurus,sealed in the package, went for a grand total of roughly 500 dollars USD on ebay
9. The original 80s My Little Pony movie billed Danny DeVito as the head star, despite not appearing until well after 2/3rds (or so) of the film had passed, and the character adds nothing to the plot whatsoever other than baggage and the possibility of being able to sell toys
10. Iguanodon was the first Dinosaur "officially" discovered, but it was the second DInosaur to recieve a name, the first being Megalosaurus

If this post gets Helled, I think we can declare Eris the winner. It took me hours to wiki/google all of that stuff, and I got pleasantly sidetracked many times. So thanks for that, Eris. Was a fun afternoon on the internet.

Also, I think Eris might have the best custom title/pic on this forum now. Are they listed anywhere?

Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.

Elephants can’t jump. Every other mammal can.

Earth is the only planet not named after a god.

A goal, assist and a fighting major (5 minutes) in a hockey game is often referred to as a Gordie Howe Hat-trick. In all actuality, Gordie ever only had two in his entire playing career.

Ha wrong thread <<< delete

Potassium cyanide induces death in 10 minutes instead of instant death under one minute. Spy movies trick you to believe it's instant death. Talented torturer can squeeze lots of information out of you in 10 minutes.

Finns and australians are most tattooed people in the world

Waffenak said:

Finns and australians are most tattooed people in the world

Metalheads and criminals. Colour me unsurprised.

Avoozl said:

Earth is the only planet not named after a god.

That's language-dependent. Earth and its cognates in other Germanic languages (Erde, Jorden, etc.) are indeed not named after any gods, but the terms Telluris, Terra, Gaia etc. are based on Greco-Roman deities.

schwerpunk said:

Also, I think Eris might have the best custom title/pic on this forum now. Are they listed anywhere?

You'll find them here and there

dew said:

Metalheads and professional athletes. Colour me unsurprised.

FTFY. Tune into any televised sublimated tribal warfare football game and you'll spot at least a few overpaid role models for the youth of Australia bearing shoulder to wrist tattoos.

The lyrics to a Mel C song about homeless people include the lines:

"I couldn't live without my phone
But you don't even have a home"

dew said:

Metalheads and criminals. Colour me unsurprised.

New Zealand should be even more extreme in that respect, if you factor in traditional Maori tattooing and "warrior spirit". The movies "Once Were Warriors" and "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" pretty much depict New Zealand as a setting out of a Mad Max movie, populated with stereotypical leathermen, gansters, bikers and tattooed wasteland warriors, often all at the same time, and ready to fight at the drop of a hat.

Eris Falling said:
Kangaroos have three vaginas.

So they could basically take three penises at the same time, right?

Avoozl said:

An Octopus has three hearts.

1. And blue blood!
2. A stegosaurus either had 2 brains or a deposit of glycogen.

MFG38 said:

So they could basically take three penises at the same time, right?

No, they only have one penis. The others were lost in fire or war. The last penis is guarded by kangaroobots in the museum. The three vaginas are also in the museum holding the three hearts of the octopussies safe from thieves.

schwerpunk said:

I have a custom title? :P

Also, while I'm here, the discovery of Eris in 2003 was ultimately the demise of Pluto.

20% of Japan's population is over 65 years old. This makes Japan have the largest proportion of elderly citizen in the world relative to their population. Italy is number two in the world in this regard.

Eris Falling said:
Argentina is the 8th largest country with the 8th largest Jewish population

It's really the 8th largest country with the 7th largest Jewish population!

human heart can weight from 300 to 500 grams if you are athletic or because of extreme illness. Cysticercosis is tissue infection where tapeworm larvae travels to brain and starts consuming tissue. You can acquire it by eating raw vegetables grown in contaminated soil.

Landkreuzer ratte p1000 was experimental ww2 german "paperpanzer". If the project had moved from drawing board to assembly line it would have included own motorpool for motorcycles and infirmary. Main armament were two 280mm naval guns, tank turrets and anti-aircraft batteries. Moving fortress I say.

Myk: heh, I guess some were bound to go outdated eventually. Strange that some have gone so soon though.

--

20 more from the book, randomly selected this time

1. All polar bears are Irish: they're descended from brown bears that lived in Ireland over 10000 years ago.
  2. Skoda is Czech for "shame," "damage" or "pity."
  3. The entire internet weighs the same as one large strawberry.
  4. The German for "contraceptive" is Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel. By the time you've finished saying it, it's too late.
  5. King George III's urine was blue.
  6. Almost any domestic cat can run faster than Usain Bolt
  7. [UK POLITICS] Reducing the voting age to 18, the introduction of 24-hour licensing and passports for pets were all policies initiated by the Official Monster Raving Loony Party.
  8. A single sperm contains 37.5MB of DNA information. One ejaculation represents a data transfer of 15,875GB, equivalent to the combined capacity of 62 MacBook Pro laptops.
  9. Between 1960 and 1977, the secret number authorising US presidents to launch nuclear missiles was 00000000.
  10. Aerosmith have made more money from Guitar Hero than from any of their albums.
  11. When Matt Smith became the 11th Doctor Who in 2010, UK bow-tie sales doubled in a month.
  12. 98% of the 7 octillion atoms in the human body are replaced every year.
  13. Michael J. Fox's middle name is Andrew.
  14. No scientific experiment has ever been done (or could be done) to prove that time exists.
  15. 1 in 50 words in the lyrics of the winning entries of the Eurovision Song Contest is "love."
  16. The highest scoring word in Scrabble is oxyphenbutazone, potentially earning 1,178 points. It's a drug used to treat arthritis.
  17. In 1999, a four-year-old girl turned yellow after drinking too much Sunny Delight.
  18. Hungarian has no words for "son" or "daughter", but nine specific words for different kinds of brother or sister.
  19. Every three seconds, the sun emits more neutrinos than the number of atoms in all the humans who have ever lived. (see #12 to just get an idea of how astronomically massive this number must be.)
  20. In the last 60 years, more than 23,000 N. Koreans have defected to S. Korea. Only 2 Koreans have gone in the opposite direction.