Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 2 - Done!

Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions(or A.S.S for short)

Here's a link to the first thread.

Anyway, the next Abyssal Speedmapping Session is scheduled for Saturday the 18th of January, 2:00pm New Zealand time: it was going to be Sunday, but I'll probably be too busy banging my head to do anything else. :P If you want to participate, look for Obsidian on Skype: I'm the one with the little New Zealand flag and the modified PLUTSKULL avatar. Look forward to seeing you there!

-Obsidian

EDIT: TA DAA! Let me know if there are any glaring errors.

1. Why is it held around Abyssal primarily?
2. Why is the participation tied to a need of having Skype?

I mean, a normal speedmapping where a theme is posted and people just have limited time to submit maps, would be possibly comfortable with more people, including maybe me.

Hey, I'm interested in attending. :D A Saturday should be a good day for me.

Obsidian said:

(or A.S.S for short)

yees.

if around on sat I'm down. Aussie/NZ dates still confuse me, it's CST+17, sooo 2pm sat NZDT = 9pm fri CST? I think.

scifista42 said:

1. Why is it held around Abyssal primarily?
2. Why is the participation tied to a need of having Skype?

1. I originally planned to have it just with the guys on the Abyss, but then I saw GRB on here was keen for some speedmapping and I thought "Screw it, more is merrier!"

2. It's just more fun on Skype: you can chat with the other mappers and if you're feeling evil you can try and distract them. :P It's a heap of fun.

And yeah, I know the Abyss is down ATM: something about the domain shifting. It'll be back up before the session.

Alfonzo said:

I shouldn't be signing up for this, it never goes well.

Signing up for this.

Gulp.

*Looks shifty for some reason*

Just bumping this to remind everyone that the session starts in exactly 24 hours. If you can't find me on Skype, leave your details here and I'll find you. See y'all round!

Or hear, I guess.

Can you pls post the theme here as well when this starts? I really really don't feel like figuring out Skype. I don't even understand how to start looking for someone, don't see any search functions.

Memfis said:

Can you pls post the theme here as well when this starts? I really really don't feel like figuring out Skype. I don't even understand how to start looking for someone, don't see any search functions.

Yeah, I can do that. Shame you can't join us on Skype, but it'll be cool to see a Memfis map in the next set. :)

The timezone difference between NZ and UK means that it's pointless for me to do the Skype bit (my kiwi mate and I just snapchat in the overlap at either end of the day) but depending on the theme and restrictions, I'm up for a speed mapping challenge over the weekend!

I'm still up for this! :)

Getting some sleep now while I still can. *cannonballs onto his bed*

Well, it'll be held exactly in the middle of night in my timezone. Bye. I don't have Skype and can't speedmap anyway. :P
(Sorry.)

Heh, just seen the last session was only two hours long rather than the day I'd assumed it'd be. Yeah, that'll be 1-3 am tonight for me...

I'll give it a shot anyway, if I can stay awake long enough ;)

I'd like to do your ASS on Saturday. I normally take forever to finish, but I reckon I can blast out a wad for your ASS. It'll probably not be very good because I'm an ASS virgin but I'll try not to make a mess.

Annnnd we are MAPPING! For those of you who don't have Skype, just make a map for vanilla or Boom in 2 hours. Use textures either from the Wood, Hell or Outdoors category. You can use sky if you pick Outdoors. Can't talk, must map!

Ok, I made it! I took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to make and test the map and another 10 minutes to get music, write a small text file and upload it to my site. It's called Woodchip and it should pass the "Wood" category, I hope!

Download link

Phobus said:

Ok, I made it! I took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to make and test the map and another 10 minutes to get music, write a small text file and upload it to my site. It's called Woodchip and it should pass the "Wood" category, I hope!

Download link

I quite liked this! There were some weirdnesses, like getting chewed on right at the start by that imp on the ledge behind me. The Cyber fight gave me the most trouble for some reason, and then an arch-vile right after? Pure evil! Great showcase of the plasma rifle. I know it was done to constrain to the wood theme, but if you wanted to come back to this at some point, throwing in a few non-brown colors would really spice it up. In any case, I'm always impressed by speedmaps, and this one is no different. Fine work!

Thanks paymentplan! I'd agree that not being almost entirely brown would definitely have helped. I might do a "Bigger Woodchip" (to keep up the RCT naming theme) for the DW Mega Project to make better use of the ideas and concept of the map, actually :)

RocknRoll420 said:

i sent in one that i didn't play at the end
spend 10 minutes just then actually fixing the bugs here is the fixed but still bad version

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cp9h9b

Well, I've given it a go. There's a missing upper texture on the interior part of the entrance to the path to the rocket launcher and lots of misalignments, but you've done the theme better than I have, I think! It is possible to get stuck in the blood when you've not lowered that middle segment to access the final fight but otherwise the map all works.

Wasn't fond of those central AVs as the cover and armaments to take them on before you get the RL aren't sufficient and getting to the RL with them both angling for you is pretty tough. Otherwise you've made good use of height variation and the natural strengths of the enemies used to keep the player on his toes and struggling for the whole map. Not bad for two hours work with minimal/no testing :)

Wasn't really in the mood for mapping so didn't make anything and played Duke3D instead. But I just want to say that maybe the theme idea wasn't very good since it is tied to Doom Builder 2 and not everyone uses it.

Obsidian said:

For a NoPoet, you certainly have a way with words.

You really love that user name. Since you make good maps, you can call me NoPoet if you really need to ;)

I'm starting my speedmap now.