Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Insomniak

Best Boss

Id Software's best boss was:  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Id Software's best boss was:

• The Icon of Sin
    • Other Doom boss (barons, cybie, spidermind)
    • Hans Grosse
    • Dr. Schabbs
    • Adolf Hitler
    • Other Wolfenstien boss (episodes 4,5,6 and SoD)
    • Mortimer McMire
    • Any Quake boss

MASTER GIYGAS

Oh best id boss. They all suck pretty bad but I liked fighting Hitler. Shub Niggurath was pretty gay, never fought the guy from Quake 2 though, never bothered to get far enough.

Liam the Bard said:

MASTER GIYGAS

That was one kick ass boss, also one of my favorite. Since it's not in the choice, I'd choose Hitler. It cracks me up to see a guy in a mech with 4 chainguns when it didn't even existed in that time plus after he's carrying 2 chaingun, which must be very very heavy to carry back in ww2. Also his death and the text after when it explain how is head is decapitated.
And who's Mortimer ?

Darkstalker said:

It cracks me up to see a guy in a mech with 4 chainguns when it didn't even existed in that time

Yeah, well, zombies with guns built into their chests didn't exist at that time either, hence the fact that Wolf3D was a fictional game.

the worst one was either in OF or Icon of Sin. As for the best one, the cyberdemon due partially to the settings he's placed in (I love those 4 textures in the tower of babel. They tell the story perfectly =]

The Cybie all the way.
The makron just looked ugly and clumpsy - not to mentioned that it sounded like he was made out of junk when he moved.
I liked his weapons though (BFG 10K - yay!).

Morcalavin.

Who the fuck is Morcalavin? If he/she's a boss from a non-id game then you're disqualified ;-]

Heh, I just thought of something: If the Spiderdemon Mastermind had had a PROPER autocannon, it would've been a far better boss - a typical autocannon shell is almost as powerful as a handgrenade!

both the cyber and the barons were really good as bosses at the time.

dsm said:

Who the fuck is Morcalavin? If he/she's a boss from a non-id game then you're disqualified ;-]

I'm pretty sure Morcalavin is from Heretic 2.

Hmm, I don't remember having seen Heretic 2 mentioned on id's homepage, so I would say that "The heresiarch fish" is disqualified :-P

icon of sin = shit
and I don't think a lot of people are happy with the RTCW boss.

What about Dopefish? Keen 4 didn't really have any boss, but the Dopefish is about as close as you could get...

Oh we're talking id games? Makron no doubt. Followed by Shub.

Contrary to many people, I enjoyed a boss that wasn't a big 10000 hp behemot that shoots teh Ray of Death (tm). I really freaked out in that level.

the_Danarchist said:

What about Dopefish? Keen 4 didn't really have any boss, but the Dopefish is about as close as you could get...

yeah, that is pretty close, since one of them guarded the last gnosticne

Darkstalker: Mortimer McMire was Billy Blaze (commander keen)'s arch enemy, and was the boss at the end of CK3.

Hitler had a cool DeathCam(tm) sequence...

WTF was up with those "ghost hitlers"?

Insomniac said:

WTF was up with those "ghost hitlers"?

Hehe, they were probably cloned Hitlers - have you ever read "The Boys from Brazil"?

And if you ask me, id actually did *one* good boss (apart from the Dopefish of course) - the Cybie. It may not be particularly hard now, but I remember that it took me several tries to beat it when I first encountered it (or maybe it was just due to the fact that I played with the smallest screensize so that I couldn't see when it launched rockets at me from the distance) and the deja-vu potential of the sound of its hooves moving closer and closer was awesome.
So back in the day, ol' cybie was a great boss - and that's from what I judge it.
In comparison, I defeated the Makron in one try (that was before I got used to the mouse) - not what I would call a hard boss and I loathe all "puzzle" based bosses, they just aren't fun to fight against.

orion said:

and I don't think a lot of people are happy with the RTCW boss.

Dude, Rob Zombie rules, shut your head.

Lüt said:

Dude, Rob Zombie rules, shut your head.

I think the boss shoulda have had some more long range attacks. Anyway, the boss of RtCW isn't the most dissapointing bit - the most dissapointing bit at the end is those lame so-called "powerful" dark knights >:-[

Wtf? They were always a major pain in the ass in the hardest difficulty setting. You either had to take a lot of beating or waste perfectly good ammo.

They aren't any harder than regular zombie knights, only slightly tougher - and they are so damn easy to avoid that you can waste Heinrich without having to kill any other zombie than that zomb bitch summoning skulls.
Taking into consideration that the nazis would waste three very damn powerful weapons (super soldiers) to create dark knights it sure as Hell is dissapointing that they just turn into slightly tougher Zombie Knights.

They should've made the Dark Knights more powerful (at least as dangerous as the super soldiers) and then made them a sort of pre-boss challenge before the player meets Heinrich - kinda like the "Minions of Destruction" before you meet Baal in the Diablo 2 Expansion pack. And Heinrich could easily have been made more difficult to beat.

But I gotta say that Heinrich is a cool looking boss, my only complaint about him himself is that he's only really dangerous up close - they shoulda given him some powerful long range attacks.

Zaldron: You could just use either the tesla or the flamethrower on the zombs if you really had to kill them - two minor squirts from the flamethrower and they go down in flames - no problem.

I kinda like "trick" bosses (bosses that can't be killed with standrad weapons by themselves), As long as there is some challange to preforimimg the trick. I gave me a warm fuzzy feeling when i managed to kill Shub Niggurath for the first time... heh. but I'd have to say that the cyberdemon is still my personal favorite.

*clump**clump**clump**clump**clump**clump*
*BLAM**BLAM*BLAM*

Ct_red_pants said:

*BLAM**BLAM*BLAM*

Correction: *clump**clump**clump**clump**clump**clump*
*FWOOSH**FWOOSH**FWOOSH*

He uses a Rocket launcher, not a shotgun ;-)

and those rockets that he launches excplode, going "BLAM" or something like that.

I beleive the worst boss in the history of id would be Shrub Fullagas...

<Quake Guy> Whoa, man!I'm gonna stink for years!

dsm said:

In comparison, I defeated the Makron in one try (that was before I got used to the mouse) - not what I would call a hard boss and I loathe all "puzzle" based bosses, they just aren't fun to fight against.

What about side-scroller games like Megaman?
I'm not reffering to Megaman, but there is another game like that where you are supposed to use strategy against some of the final bosses... It's old now and probably very hard to find today...
It was pretty fun for people that don't use codes cause' it didn't have any codes!

that bull in heretic was pretty cool too, just played with him for a few minutes. He's cute.

orion said:

and those rockets that he launches excplode, going "BLAM" or something like that.

Oh sorry, forgot about that.
Renewed correction:*clump**clump**clump**clump**clump**clump*
*FWOOSH**FWOOSH**FWOOSH*
*BLAMM**BLAMM**BLAMM*
There ;-)

*FWOOSH**FWOOSH**FWOOSH*
*BLAMM**BLAMM**BLAMM*
*AAAAAaaaaaagrh!!!!*