Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aliotroph?

A Satanic Baphomet Statue

Surprised this hasn't appeared on DW yet. The tl;dr version is after the ACLU sued Oklahoma for putting a Ten Commandments statue on the state capitol grounds some other religious groups asked if they could have their monuments too. The Satanic Temple is stealing the show by proposing a crazy statue that lets you sit in Baphomet's lap. This is otherwise a standard church/state separation cases.

I think this is brilliant. The statue is cool, and it shocks enough people to give the issue far more visibility than a bunch of plain old atheists could ever manage. The children really sell it for me. :D

Some links with pics and things:
An article with the drawing they released
A newer one with a render
Their fundraising page They passed their goal already. That page has a vid with lots of FOX talking heads getting upset.

<me waits for Avoozi to denounce the statue as derivitive and looking nothing like a true baphomet>

You'd probably get more outrage with a Buddha statue.

I mean Gautama not that fat oriental.

Oh wait, we're not talking about Afghanistan.

GreyGhost said:

<me waits for Avoozi to denounce the statue as derivitive and looking nothing like a true baphomet>

Just because I don't think the one in game looks exactly like one doesn't mean I doubt that one in the topic does, however I doubt it as being some Satanic because other religions tried to associate it as being of the devil which is wasn't, it was actually a deity worshiped by the Knights Templar.

ID never really said the IOS was a Baphomet, but the people who did Final Doom did.

Avoozl said:

Just because I don't think the one in game looks exactly like one doesn't mean I doubt that one does, however I doubt it as being some Satanic because other religions tried to associate it as being of the devil which is wasn't, it was actually a deity worshiped by the Knights Templar.

ID never really said the IOS was a Baphomet, but the people who did Final Doom did.

You know, you cant really say ID didnt say that then immediately say they did. Since you know, Team TNT and the Casali brothers each had a different story for their respective episode than what id wrote up for the manual :p

Ragnor said:

You know, you cant really say ID didnt say that then immediately say they did. Since you know, Team TNT and the Casali brothers each had a different story for their respective episode than what id wrote up for the manual :p

I just worded that poorly, I tired to fix what I meant just then whilst quoting the one who I am explaining to.

Avoozl said:

it was actually a deity worshiped by the Knights Templar.

A deity allegedly worshiped by the Knights Templar, at a time when European Christians believed Muslims were idolators who worshiped their prophet Muhammad as a god. If the scholars are correct about Baphomet being an Old French version of "Mahomet" (which is the Medieval Latin spelling of "Muhammad"), then the Templars were effectively accused of being practicing Muslims.

Elvis made money off anti Elvis merchandise. Wonder if God gets any of Satan's royalties.

How about a big statue of Kim Il-sung for the Juche religion? Might as well, it's Caligula marrying his horse time.

Still, kind of disappointed its not a face being installed in a wall that talks backwards to people passing by.

The children surrounding the statue are a nice touch.

Technician said:

No, erect a statue of Muhammad.

Baby steps, though. Baby steps.

Now that would make me stand and clap; but let's face it, the kind of people who think of themselves as provocateurs and edgy bashing a religion turning the other cheek are unlikely to pull the same stunts against a target with which there's a very real risk of being beheaded or blown up. ;)

I wouldn't be pleased with anything less than a Baron of Hell or Cyberdemon statue.

If they put this thing up, how long before some religious person defaces it? Maybe they should install a hidden cam... might catch some priest sitting in his lap. :p

Phml said:

Now that would make me stand and clap; but let's face it, the kind of people who think of themselves as provocateurs and edgy bashing a religion turning the other cheek are unlikely to pull the same stunts against a target with which there's a very real risk of being beheaded or blown up. ;)

Ironically, I find most edgy atheists and social progressive types licking Islam's proverbial ball sack.

Ed said:

The children surrounding the statue are a nice touch.

I agree. I've seen several Jesus and god statues with kids around it. Speaking of Jesus, my gf works for a private hospital that spent 10 million on a giant Jesus statue. Then told all of its employees, no raises this year, because of the statue.

MajorRawne said:

Regarding the thread title, is there any such thing as a non-Satanic lord of hell?

What about Doomguy, after he's kicked the Mother Demon's butt?

"Satan" is not a name, it's a title. It means "enemy". They could have chosen another name instead -- Lucifer ("lightbringer"), Azazel ("scapegoat"), etc. -- but Satanist decided to name their faith after antagonism.

Most of the pre-Christian lords of hell are "non-Satanic". They were gods of the underworld and afterlife, so they may have been cruel, but not necessarily evil. The goat imagery is fairly "recent" as well. Hades is a dude with a dog, Pluto is a cute cartoon dog, erm. Even Judaism describes the Devil as a snake, dragon or whathaveyou.

The bulls, the rams, the goats and other horned ones were usually gods of fertility. From what I gather, the horned devil comes from the Carthagian patron Baal, because the Romans did their best to shit on anything even remotely connected to Carthage after its destruction. Early Christians were not beneath massive borrowing of symbols, of course. The Satanists should've asked for a statue of Al Pacino in a tux.

Yeah but when (for example) Britain was Christianised, the Romans deliberately "borrowed" British Pagan iconography in order to smooth Britain's translation from Pagan to Christian. It wasn't like Christianity was out of ideas and decided to nick someone else's, they used it to avoid alienating people and avoid religious wars.

It was much easier to say "the Green Man represents the death and resurrection of Christ" than to say "stop drawing men's faces peering out of bushes, you perverts!".