Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalinus

Maps From Other Games

Ok something I have been wanting to do for a while is recreate levels from various games. I have a friend coming over I'm going to teach him mapping and maybe get him involved on this project. Anyway here is the list so far I will edit this as it grows.

The previews are for showing my progress. Only the basics of the maps will be done first then the details and textures.

Blood Gulch - Halo

Deck 16 - Unreal Tournament 99

Facility - Golden Eye

Tokay's Tower - Quake II

Parts of LA - Tony Hawks American Wasteland

Back Alleys - San Andreas

Starfish Island - Vice City

Liberty Island - Deus Ex

Zora's Domain - Zelda Ocarina of Time

Racoon City - Resident Evil

New Additions

Nali Castle - Unreal

Portland - Grand Theft Auto 3

Lost Woods - Zelda Ocarina of Time

Crossfire - Half Life

New York - Vampire The Masquerade Redemption

And maybe some time-splitters maps I loved those games

Deck 16 is the only one of those I know, and it's impossible to recreate in Doom, where you don't have room-over-room.

Cynical said:

Deck 16 is the only one of those I know, and it's impossible to recreate in Doom, where you don't have room-over-room.

Zdoom has true 3d floors now.

Liberty Island would be interesting, although perhaps very bare.

Also, why Zora's Domain? From what I remember, there's barely anything there. Perhaps one of the temples would be a better fit, or the gerudo prison?

And lastly, which back alleys from SA are we talking about? I think the areas best suited for Doom in that game would be deserts, those mountains have just the right shapes to be recreated with sectors. :D City areas would need way too many custom textures.

Also you can rig up fake 3D floors with instantly raising sectors, although it isn't very Multiplayer friendly.

On a side note, Requiem MAP31 is a remake of Door to Chthon from Quake. Thought you might be interested.

To answer two replies most maps will have 3d floors and custom textures.

Also the maps that seem bare will have extras like crates and what not for cover.

Also Zora's Domain is my favorite place from oot thats why its included. XD

And as for suggestions on other maps I like them keep them coming I want this to be a large pack and the first of many. ^_^

This OOT business got me thinking. Lost Woods could be a fun deathmatch map if it was possible to make it either a bit random or just jumbled enough, and you couldn't see one room from the other. Essentially just a bunch of square rooms with (maybe silent) teleporters on each side leading to other square rooms with slightly different filling, like a tree stump or a pickup. Although I never played Doom deathmatch so I can't really tell, but I remember making stupid deathmatch maps for SSAM and playing them with friends and gimmicky ones were always my favorite.

Ah, good old q2dm2 (Tokay's)... I was always more of a q2dm1 (Edge) kind-of guy; I guess that was my generation's de_dust. Later I got into q2dm8 (Warehouse), because of the absolutely awesome jump-y fights around the Rail Gun, not to mention dat power armour. :>

Anyway, I know q2dm2 was reproduced in Quake 3 Arena [imgur - 640x480]. I'd be very interested in seeing it reproduced in other games as well. Although frankly, I think it would probably translate better to Quake 1 than Doom II.

My first thought was a Liberty Island like the Twilight Massacre from Speed of DOOM - a completely open megaslaughter with tons of flying monsters teleporting all over the Statue. Map would lag like hell though.

Using GZDoom might be better; most of the Software based source ports (ZDoom or otherwise) slow down when the game gets a bit nuts.

I always thought that the layouts and feel in the maps of Dark Forces were great and very well designed, with some remembrance to Romero and Petersen's style regarding to the curved corridors, the shape of the rooms and the interconnectivity, even when I'm not a super fan of the Star Wars saga.
EDIT: Some Alien Trilogy (1996) maps were good too.

I made the docks starting area from Deus Ex, or something very close to it, but then I got bored and started to do something else...

I've only seen Zora's Domain, so that's the only on I can give an opinion on. It would look awesome in doom, but how would you place enemies? I'm not sure how doom monsters would fit in gameplay wise with the map.
Like other people said, the place is rather small. What if Farore's Cave was included with the map?

I attempted "Chinese Restaurant" from Timesplitters on my own once...

...I hope to god it never sees the light of day, it was horrible.

Tarnsman said:

Zdoom has true 3d floors now.

Deck16 has sloped bridges over bridges, over a support beam, over deep water (slime). Is that possible? lol I haven't mapped enough in GZDoom to even attempt to figure that out x_x

PRIMEVAL said:

Deck16 has sloped bridges over bridges, over a support beam, over deep water (slime). Is that possible? lol I haven't mapped enough in GZDoom to even attempt to figure that out x_x

If I'm not mistaken, it can be done with EDGE (or was it 3DGE?).

Also, good luck. I'm keeping an eye on this.

PRIMEVAL said:

Should be possible in GZDoom (not ZDoom, though) as long as none of these sloped 3D floors are translucent. :p

We're definitely talking a port that can do 3D floors for most of these - sloped for quite a few, so that seems to currently limit us to GZDoom and Legacy... or some real portal magic in Eternity, perhaps?

I quite like the idea of recreating TimeSplitters maps (particularly from 2) in GZDoom - the game play change would make it interesting and the map layouts would work pretty well for small, non-linear SP Doom 2 maps, IMO.

Hey thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate it. I figured most of these would make great maps. I mainly want to make these for multiplayer but I will probably add stuff for single player as well.

I really want these to work in zandronum since it supports floor over floor and I have done 3 layers of floor over floor so far the highest being swimable.

All of the mentioned maps are being contemplated and will probably be added ^_^

This has not been forgotten here is proof that I've overcome Deck 16's trickiness It runs in Zandronum and Gzdoom haven't tried Zdoom yet

mrthejoshmon said:

I attempted "Chinese Restaurant" from Timesplitters on my own once...

...I hope to god it never sees the light of day, it was horrible.

Wow, I would really love to see that. Timesplitters was one of my favorite FPSs on the PS2 (besides Timesplitters 2 ;]). My friends and I played countless Capture the Bag matches, Team Deathmatch, and Free for All. In Story mode it was a tough level also. I don't think I ever beat that level on hard mode. Too many guards with uzis and shotguns. :( Honestly that is one of the most sophisticated maps in the entire game. So much character.

The lead level designer of Bioshock recreated the garden/farmer's market deck for Doom 2.

kalinus said:

This has not been forgotten here is proof that I've overcome Deck 16's trickiness It runs in Zandronum and Gzdoom haven't tried Zdoom yet
[/img]

Looks like you've got sloped 3D floors, which won't render in ZDoom

Avoozl said:

Starfish Island from Vice City could be interesting.

Yup that really would be interesting, you gave me a good idea :D

I generally like taking rough layouts of maps and stuff from other games before going apeshit with Doom flavours (to the point that things are barely recognisable), but never really thought of fully recreating a map from another game, with only two exceptions:
1) The mansion from the original Resident Evil. I did this back in 2004 or so using Doom Legacy (building the map in DeepSea, holy shit), and it was just one big ugly bastard and incredibly awkward to play due to being so horrendously cramped. All the 3D floors were fine though. Certain doors were a bit of a cunt to relocate without breaking a room on 1F or 2F, however. Then my fucking PC exploded and I lost the result of my first foray into 3D floors forever.
2) (Somehow) recreating the ninja house from Stage 6 of Shinobi III, at some point in 2009. This was one headache that required a lot of artistic/creative interpretation, and one very tall room of moving 3D floors. It's probably not all that fun to anyone unfamiliar with that game though, because it's a teleport labyrinth full of instant death and platforming with no shortcuts.

TheCupboard said:

In Story mode {Chinese} was a tough level also. I don't think I ever beat that level on hard mode. Too many guards with uzis and shotguns.

Mansion on Hard would have made you cry endless tears.