Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
suicidepandemic

SUBVERT - borderline slaughter wad

Evening Doomers

I am in the process of completing a 3 map conversion for Doom 2 entitled "Subvert". Maps 01 and 02 are done and I would very much appreciate having some fellow forum brothers test play these 2 maps.

Both maps have only been set for Ultra Violence so far, but you can play in easier skill levels IF you deem the maps too difficult.
Map 01 has 440 Monsters and Map 02 has nearly 900!
Music is new as well.
You can have JUMP and CROUCH enabled, it won't make a difference though it makes dodging projectiles easier.
Keep an eye out for secrets as they are VERY helpful.

And that's really all I have to say.
If you could record some demo videos I would LOVE that also. If not, all I need is your feedback!

Thank you to those who will take the time to die quite a few times!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/us0fqnmhbmp86mr/SP1.wad

Played it with PrBoom and got stuck at the start of map 1. You forgot to set a tag for the line that activates the lift in the first hallway , so its impossible to trigger it. Needed to noclip to went further.

Overall it looks nice. Map 2 was quite fun though i could'nt manage to beat it.

tourniquet said:

Played it with PrBoom and got stuck at the start of map 1. You forgot to set a tag for the line that activates the lift in the first hallway , so its impossible to trigger it. Needed to noclip to went further.

Overall it looks nice. Map 2 was quite fun though i could'nt manage to beat it.

Interesting that the lift didn't work as it has worked for other ports. I primarily test play all my maps through Zandronum and don't have any issues. I'll look into it immediately. And map 02 is indeed a challenge! Alot of split second reflex moments. After you get to a door on either side of the huge blood room with all the demons it is best to turn around and close the door the moment you get through it and not wait for it to close, otherwise you will receive revenant rocket rape hahahaha.

Thanks for the input tourniquet, I appreciate the help! I will look into my non - working lift.

yeah i know i've tried map1 with zdoom afterwards and the lift worked.
Zandronum and zdoom are way more forgiving then boom.

So I got around to it, played in prboom. The fixed fda may not work if you just change the tag on the line, so no promises there. I noticed a similar issue in map02 with the 2 lifts on the right hand route, which lower the MET2 or whatever pillars surrounding the switch that lowers half the teleporter.

I warn you this is a lot of negative critiques, but you've got a good start going.

The themes are cool, a little cliche but fine. Unfortunately I've had too much stock techbase to like it anymore, but that's taste. Music is a bit repetitive, but it's tough to find something with that feeling that isn't. The action is interesting in map1, a little slow at first with all the hitscanners, but I like to speed through maps after a few attempts. The yellow key could perhaps be a bit better defended, the trap isn't really too great unless you're slow and get stuck in it with a cyb rocket heading your way. The lifts could use block monster lines or just be shorter, it's reeeeeally annoying to have to wait for them, have a mob cross the line and lower it with you on it, then have to wait for it to go back up again. I like the part with the chainers and archvile steps, but it's a bit tough to see without mouselook, making it half height would fix it mostly. A lot of door fighting happens, look into that.

Map2 is a bit more of a stab at slaughter, but falls short on a couple fronts. There is a lot of tough mobs and no bfg, which pretty much any map with 800+ mobs is going to need (and a lot with fewer) to make the action more interesting than 'clean-up in aisle hell'. All the boss mobs would be a pain to deal with if I wasn't looking around in iddqd. The archvile ball on the platform on the right route is just painful to see without anything to stand behind but the switch and the platform lip.

Another issue is all the jagged edges you can get caught on like the fat blood pillars in the second room, the edges of the wall frame in the middle of the big square, and just random decorations like lights that are around. The right corridor with the crushers also sucks in boom. There is a platform you enter on, then stairs (and I think candelabras in the middle of the stairs) into a corridor that is wall to wall (oh yeah the walls are crusher platforms) filled with hks, revs, and other fun stuff. There is no way into that with infinitely tall actors because the revs bunch up and will not let you down from the platform. This type of thing happens a lot in the corridors of the map, and you're forced to just stand back and rocket everything.

The blue teleporters to the switches in the square room could use block monster lines or for the teleporter to be 64 units, barons get stuck in the exit. The switches on the right route in the flashing lights are a pain, and I couldn't even tell what was going on at the top of the stair-shrine-thing until I wandered around it three times. It's fun to do that with fights, but switches, unless secrets, should really not be hard to find unless you hate whoever you made the map for. Another thing is I'm pretty sure you can't get up to, and thus kill, the cyberdemons on the top of the pillars in the square room. Unless you feel like shooting them from the switch platforms.

I think that's all my impressions, you got a lot to work on but I think you're heading in the right direction.