Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
William Blazkowicz

What was your first M rated game?

excepting Doom and most games made 15+ years ago, I hate M-rated games for the fact that they say they claim to be for ages 17 and older, but are obviously marketed towards 10-year olds.

a few years ago I had contemplated changing my avatar to the ESRB mature rating logo with a red slash through it, but preferred keeping my original avatar instead of advertising my boycott.

M rated must mean something equivalent to our BBFC 18 certificate. Doom on the PSX had the 15 rating on so my first 18 rated game would be DN:TM on the PSX but god was it a chore to play. Film wise would be Trainspotting when I was 6.

Wait, Wolf3d was given an M rating? I don't even remember there being blood. I guess that would probably be my first M rated game then, still considering retroactive ratings.

Nomad said:

Wait, Wolf3d was given an M rating? I don't even remember there being blood. I guess that would probably be my first M rated game then, still considering retroactive ratings.

There wasn't TONS of blood, but there was still blood. The most blood shed was from the bosses. Also, just the Nazi Symbolism in it's own rights can make it M. The GBA version was rated M.

I haven't played Wolf3D as thoroughly and as recently as I'm sure a lot of you have. Forgive my poor memory.

William Blazkowicz said:

There wasn't TONS of blood, but there was still blood. The most blood shed was from the bosses. Also, just the Nazi Symbolism in it's own rights can make it M. The GBA version was rated M.

But the original game says MA-13 or something similar when you start it up. Why would a version that came out years later have a more severe rating?

GoatLord said:

But the original game says MA-13 or something similar when you start it up. Why would a version that came out years later have a more severe rating?

Because the ESRB didn't exist in 1992.

I think Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis was my first M rated game.

Mortal Kombat on the Mega Drive. A,B,A,C,A,B,B FTW!

Granted, that was a 15 in the UK, so I suppose my first ever 18-rated game was the original Grand Theft Auto on the PSX. I never finished it.

Don't forget the old RSAC rating thermometer system that was briefly used for PC games. Good ol' Heretic with its RSAC "4" for violence and blood was probably the first game I played with a rating attached to it.

Living in Australia, we have a different ratings system that has only recently changed. The equivalent rating here would be MA15+. I guess that the first game that I played with the rating was Quake III Arena.

Blood warrants an M rating? WTF is wrong with people? If you can't deal with blood by the time you're ten your parents have screwed up.

In that case: MK, Wolf3D, DooM, DN3D...

Mortal Kombat only makes the list because sometimes when our parents wanted to have a night out they rented us a Sega Genesis to keep us occupied. They didn't actually let us have a console until they bought us a Virtual Boy. Turns out those don't work well for legally blind people. Dumbasses!

Aliotroph? said:

Blood warrants an M rating? WTF is wrong with people? If you can't deal with blood by the time you're ten your parents have screwed up.

Not entirely sure where the line's drawn. Ace Attorney has copious amounts of blood on crime scenes, evidence, etc, but gets rated T... then it does the same thing in a polygonal setting in Dual Destinies, and gets rated M. People kept saying "play the game, you'll understand why it's rated M". I played it, I still can't say as I do.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure why Halo was bumped from T to M, either. Guessing it has something to do with the Flood, since they're basically the only enemy that kinda-sorta gibs?

Doom or MKII. Tough to remember which one came first, really, but they both were there when I was 6 or 7. My parents never really concerned themselves much with ratings. I specifically recall watching Pulp Fiction the year it came out, so I was, at most, 8 years old.

DoomUK said:

Scarred for life?

Heh, I wasn't exactly old enough to understand some scenes of the film (until I learned about the birds and the bees obviously) I've seen it god knows how many times since and it's still one of my favourites along with This is England (I was a lot older when I watched that however).

Probably Doom, but I remember someone giving me a portable House of the Dead knock off once, it was called "Touch the Dead".

Probably Mortal Kombat for the SNES. I had to beg and plead with my mom, as did my brothers, for her to rent the game for us. She was convinced it would be bad for us :P

Quasar said:

Don't forget the old RSAC rating thermometer system that was briefly used for PC games. Good ol' Heretic with its RSAC "4" for violence and blood was probably the first game I played with a rating attached to it.

I got that slip in both Quake and Duke 3D.

Quasar said:

I've only ever seen Doom and maybe one other id game use that obscure system.

William Blazkowicz said:

Thats not necessarily true. Medal of honor European assault had several swastika flags but was given a T rating. If the GBA version had Hitler and his gory death scene then I could see why it was given an M rating, but a swastika in a game does not automatically give it an M rating. (unless its in Germany in which case the game would be banned :P)

*shrug*
I played violent games before there were ratings. I remember a particularly bloody arcade game called Chiller.

Probably PSX Doom or Resident Evil, can't remember which I played first. Actually, might've been one of the Mortal Kombats if they were rated at that point. Can't say I ever paid much attention to ratings, my parents certainly didn't care.

Always amused me that Doom was M rated for its gore, but GoldenEye was T. The latter had "realistic" enemy deaths. Those animations were easily more graphic than anything in Doom, which was a cartoon in comparison, but because the blood's real subtle it got a lower rating. Ratings are dumb.

Quasar said:

Mine would have been Rise of the Triad, in that case.