Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phobus

Have YOU tried to make a one-man 32-map megaWAD?

Years ago I made a megawad with Skulltag resources, maps were short and simple, but I lost that wad. Recently I had various ideas for megawads and stopped working on them at the next day.

Yes, I tried, in 1999.
After the mandatory "My apartment" map, I started what I wanted to be a 32 level megawad.
I quickly tried to find help after realizing it should take ages and be a complete failure, and finally we just did "episode 1", 11 maps, 7 by me and 4 by other maybe forgotten members of the community (Hyena, Mantra, Kronic, and Lu Wang).
It took around 6 or 7 months I think and we were all beginners except Lu Wang.
It was great, someone did a midi file of a song nowhere to be found in midi, someone did the titlepic, many community members beta tested.
Everything was very positive and I enjoyed it a lot, even if it wasn't "32 maps alone" but "11 maps together" and if the maps weren't top quality (except Lu-Wang's !).
It made me realize teamwork is better than thinking you can do everything alone.

1) Have you tried to make a one-man 32-map megaWAD?
I have.

2) Did you finish it?
Not really.

3) How far did you get?
23 maps or something like that.

4) Did you release what you finished?
Unfortunately.

5) Why did you stop?
The original plan was making a full 32 (35 actually)-map megawad but I ended up running out of ideas and wanted to advance further. I ended up starting Techwars 2 but gave up after finishing about 8 maps, which barely saw the light of day.

6) What did you learn from this?
I actually learned a lot of stuff since Techwars, but eventually I will run out of ideas on my own and the maps will keep looking and playing repetitive.

7) Would you recommend anything to others in their attempts, or just tell them to reign in the ambition?
That depends really. If you are that highly motivated I ain't gonna say no and I always love to see random megawads pop out of nowhere. If you already have about 16 maps done, why not go ahead and finish it? It DOES take a lot of patience and creativity, but with your mind set to the target you can whip out a good amount of maps.

Techwars 2 is long-gone by the way, so that makes two unfinished megawads. Yay me.

2) Did you finish it?
3) How far did you get?
5) Why did you stop?
7) Would you recommend anything to others in their attempts, or just tell them to reign in the ambition?

1) Yes.
2) No.
3) 7-8 maps.
4) Yes.
5) Lack of interest and time.
6) Don't pick a stupid limitation for yourself.
7) Quality > Quantity

I have made a 32 map set and finished it :)

3) What do you think is the reason that you managed to succeed where so many others didn't?
4) Was it worth it?
5) Would you try and do it again, do you think?
6) Did you struggle or stumble?
7) What would you recommend to others in their attempts?

3) I think it's because i didn't think about making 32 maps, i just thought about Making good levels, and if uou end up making 32 of them then there you go you have a megawad.

4) It certainly was!

5) Yes, no doubt

6) Yes, there were times when i was in a complete dryspell and couldn't come up with a single idea,It usually happens when i map too hard too fast and get burnt out, you can get frustrated when that happens.

7)the key is pacing, don't burn your self out, map slow and steady. Don't think about "I'm going to make 32 maps" think "I gonna make a series of good maps".

Yes. First had this compulsion in 1995 I guess.

2) Did you finish it?

Not yet.

4) Was it worth it?

Yes it is. Its nice to have something to occupy my mind, when I've otherwise drawn a blank. Damn sketchbooks are everywhere. Need to fill them with something.

3) How far did you get?

16 candidates so far, though if they would actually stack as a set, I'm not sure. If I ever reach 32+, I'll try to shuffle a deck.

Most maps have been released along the way, yes. It would be a largely second hand mega, if it ever gets made.

5) Why did you stop?

To work on other, less exciting, games.

Doom is special.

Its your time, your life. Spend your passions wisely. If you have a white picket fence, hold on to it.

Yes. My first project.

2) Did you finish it?
No...

3) How far did you get?
9 maps

Yes, as 2 mini episodes (4 or 5 maps) and one single map.

5) Why did you stop?
Those were my first maps ever, and I realized only 2 or 3 of them were good... and not much. Also, those were ZDoom maps, and I wanted to use 3d floors which weren't supported by Zdoom at that time, so I switched to GZDoom and started another project (not a megawad)
-
That 32 is too much for me. I map slowly and I don't even play many megawads past map 20 or so.

If you're the kind of mapper that can spawn a map in 3 or 4 days, why not? If your maps take more than a week, there's a chance you'll loose interest before your megawad sees the light of day.

That was the first thing I did after learning how to make maps... or maybe BEFORE learning how to make maps.

2) Did you finish it?
Well, it technically has 31 maps (and one dm-only map with two sectors), but I think it's close enough.

3) What do you think is the reason that you managed to succeed where so many others didn't?
Maybe I just didn't care that much? :P Yeah, I guess I could've polished some things in it... like, everything. But the megawad somehow felt complete even without it.

4) Was it worth it?
materialistically speaking, I got 8 replies in my megawad thread, not counting mine. I think I'm one of the few people who present their work AFTER they finish it. So I had less reasons to bump the thread. Heh. But the creative process itself was sure a good experience... and I had it letsplayed by Suitepee, too.

I'm not sure about that. Mapping itself is fun, and so on, but it just seems to me that the scale of the community response doesn't change regardless of how much I do. And it feels quite discouraging.

I mostly had technical problems, as I started mapping before learning what PWAD is, and some things that work in vanilla IWADs doesn't always work the same in PWADs! Other than that, it was more or less fluent.

Hmm, I have no idea. But many members seem way too perfectionist to me. Spending many days on one room? Scratching a bunch of work because you no longer feel the same love to it? Geez, no one is gonna care that one of the rooms is only 79% perfect. I doubt anyone would even notice. Lots of people love IWADs, even though they are, you know, the way they are. Imperfect. But fun. And I don't know if I can recommend it, but I would like to encourage people to be creative. Hell, Techbase, Hell, Techbase, Hellbase, Classic, Vanilla. Come on, there are so many possibilities! Do we really have to stick to all these rules? Some people will dislike if you don't mark your exit with exitdoor of change the flat without changing heights. Oh well. There are some people who would like to see something new, too.

Yes, I have tried to make a meagawad twice.
2) Did you finish it?
No, I lost interest in them probably beacause the maps got too big and took way to long to finish.

3) How far did you get?
First attempt I got as far as 11 maps. on the second attempt I had 3 maps done and was working on the fourth one.
Some were released, some were donated to community projects.
5) Why did you stop?
Probably because I can't keep things simple, maps tend to grow far too big.
Stick to stock textures and map for vanilla Doom 2. Focus on smaller maps, like the size of any original Doom map.
Just try and see how far you get with it.

I'm pretty sure at some point I tried my hand at this, yeah.

2) Did you finish it?
Yep, though I did get a couple of assists towards the end, there.

I honestly have no idea. There were moments where I pretty much considered the thing dead. I guess the community's pestering encouragement helped push the thing along. There were moments where I'd stopped working on it altogether only to have KMX E XII ask me the status. Also, I had the support and interest of my former roommates who are both important people to myself. They're both listed in the "personal thanks" portion of urinfo.

4) Was it worth it?
For a long time, I was convinced that I would have been much happier if I'd just dumped the project on to /idgames and moved on. I wished the damn thing never existed. Upon its release, though, there was a great sense of fulfillment. For me to follow through on a major project like that is pretty rare, and the reception really encouraged me to try my hand at more personal stuff like that. It may sound weird, but as its release neared, I decided to try my hand at homebrewing simply because I was instilled with a sense of confidence that I could achieve my goals. So yes, it was worth it.

Tough call, here. I think I'd much rather move on to contributing to community projects with the occasional single-to-episode release along the way. I'd only do it again if I felt I could make a truly new and unique experience. Otherwise, working with a small team would be cool.

Yeah, a lot. One of the toughest things was realizing I was still 10 maps shy of completion. During episode 2's creation, I got incredibly discouraged at the realization that I was locking myself into a certain style of mapping. Everything was a sandbox. You can tell which maps in E2 came first and which came last simply based on the way they unfold. Map14 was an early effort. Map17 was a later effort. It's pretty obvious. There are moments in E3 where you can see me intentionally avoiding that pitfall and experimenting. Whether it be the shaky-corpse wall in Map21 or Map22's somewhat unique style of progression, I definitely went back to trying to be creative instead of merely crapping out superhappyfuntime map#x. That's why I feel it's the best part of the megawad by a long shot.

I can say with absolute certainly that the 12-map demo release was a huge factor in my drive to complete the megawad. Up until that point, interest was limited a few enthusiastic individuals. Everyone ultimately maps for their own personal means, but recognition for your efforts is infinitely awarding. Releasing demos, showing your work, keeping the great members of the site intrigued - this is how I'd recommend keeping active.

Also, and I can't stress this enough - mix it up. I completed or helped complete maps in at least 3 different projects while working on UR. Each time, it was a breath of fresh air and helped re-spark my motivation. If you feel things becoming monotonous, experiment. Challenging yourself is always a good way to keep the flavor of the megawad tasting good.

Finally - seek help. Don't just let the thing rust on your hard drive. If you start to bottom-out, don't be afraid to ask a mapper whose work you enjoy to help out. The worst you're going to get is a no, and the best you'll get is an awesome map. Some of UR's best maps aren't my own. I'm not afraid to admit that and am glad that my project ultimately benefited from them. The gratitude I have for their help is immeasurable. Even if you don't want help on the mapping end, a musician, graphic artist, or something of that nature can always be a useful way to have progress be made even when you're stuck on trying to figure out what to do next. UR would not exist without the help of others.

So yes - I tried to make a one-man megawad and for the most part, feel I accomplished that goal. I can't say it's for everyone, but if you feel the drive, Go 4 It.

Phobus said:

Sure thing. I tried it 4 times!

2) Did you finish it?

3 times yes, 2 times no

If yes:

Mh... Because i've made short maps? Otherwise, is because i wanted to do that project with my heart (i'm talking of a 1998 megawad)... The important things in everything is passion and heart...

4) Was it worth it?

Yeah?

Ah ah ah, actually i had in mind to do a megawad after i take a look to the PAR thing i've seen in the wads & mods section!

Stumble! Also, i'm extremely slow on doing things...

See the end of point 2

If no:
3) How far did you get?

I've made a 17 levels mapset based of 1024 maps and a WIP mapset of 11 classic 90s styled maps

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/my1024.zip

5) Why did you stop?

Eh, i lost the inspiration

Don't do things bigger than you?

Sure, keep the way you choosed until you did it over, in a way or the other...

1: yes
2: not yet
3: MAP14 and going
4: I released the maps when they were in a playable (using the term playable as in they were in basic stages: items, weapons, monsters, spawns, objects and exits)
5: N/A, still going
6: I suck at detail, also gameplay.
7: I would recommend trying to get as much critique on "finished" maps as possible to make them some of the best damn maps they can create.

Yes, but that wasn't my original intention; I compiled a bunch of maps that I'd made into one WAD, then started adding a few more over some months. Eventually I figured "fuck it" when I got to around nine or ten maps, went back and tidied the earlier levels up, then decided to go for a full 32.

2) Did you finish it?
Sort of. I've gone past 32 maps now, but I keep adding to it because I always find some way of throwing in some more levels.

More than one reason. First of all, I had more free time than I could make use of. I was never making these maps for 'public consumption' either, so I could design them however I wanted without having to worry about speedrunning tricks, software renderer crybabies*, compatibility with other ports or any bullshit like that. I also had a small group that I could test maps with at pretty much any time of day, so I always had some motivation to add/fix maps. And then of course, because I was making ZDoom (well, Skulltag) maps, I wasn't limited to a bunch of hardcoded line functions; levels did what I wanted them to, how and when I wanted them to, without having to resort to hacky/crap methods that wouldn't necessarily work in co-op (Voodoo Dolls, 'bridges', etc.). I would also throw in some custom content every now and then to avoid making every surprise fight a case of HURRR REVENANTS AND CHAINGUNNERS. That always helps to keep inspiration up when you've got a new bunch of shit to fight.

4) Was it worth it?
I'd say so, recently hosted a private server for 10 hours straight which had an average of 6 players, so I must have been doing something right.

Nope, at least not on this scale. Maybe 32 small maps, but not any of this gargantuan stuff.

Yes, some of the later areas are relatively bare in places and there are a few short maps which scream 'filler', but these are all simple enough as to not get in the way too much.

Start slow and simple. Very slow at that. Make smaller maps first. Compile them and see how/if they flow into each other. Then do it again. And again. And again. Don't go straight in for a 32-map project without having first fucked around in the editor experimenting for a long time, working out how certain designs and functions can and will behave. You will also need a hell of a lot of time to get the overall balance and difficulty curve working unless you're already experienced. And for the love of all things in the universe, do NOT try to make every new map 'better' than the previous one, or aim for anything outside of what you know you can do. You'll just waste time and effort, and lose interest before you can say "fuck this".

*There was some big hoo-hah over at ST regarding OpenGL features such as 3D floors, with an unbelievably stubborn bunch of users who absolutely refused to use the hardware renderer for no reason other than "I don't like it" and expected everyone else's projects to cater to them.

I tried, I made episode 1 & 2 but only made it halfway through episode 3 before I ran out of steam. I still released it tho, it's called "Chris's best of best" on /idgames/ and the late Jive helped fix some errors on a revised upload of it.

Yes.
2) Did you finish it?
HELL NO! lol.
If no:
3) How far did you get?
2 crappy maps. I was trying to go for a script-happy experience, with a big story, many weapons, etc.
HELL NO! Was horrible. Still have it if someone has morbid curiosity.
5) Why did you stop?
I decided to go slower and try a small good thing rather than a big crappy thing.
Start small, and progress. If you aim high, you may need a team.
I would recommend to only try this if you believe you have the proper skill to do so. If you do, go slow, or it probably will suck.

From the above I can see an extension of my advice on making level maps should apply.

You do not start by making one map and then trying to add more maps.
All your good ideas will go into the first map, half of your somewhat good ideas will go into the second map, you will exhaust your acceptable ideas on the third map, and will be scrapping the barrel for any ideas by the fourth map.

You first plan what the first map will be, what the last map will be, and then fill in plans for other maps that get you from the start to the end.
Portion out your good ideas to the maps.
Then you start actually making maps.

I have not tried making a 32 map wad ... yet.
Step one would stop me until I have a start, a finish, and at least 15 map ideas.

Phobus said:

So, go on regulars, staples, legends, members and newbies:
2) Did you finish it?

If no:
3) How far did you get?
5) Why did you stop?

1) Sort of twice. Cult of Doom was a collection of my first made maps that were done with the intention of retrospectively remaking them as a TC (once I learned graphic editing). Hell Bent was an attempt at a ZDoom megawad with proper episodes, new monsters and possibly new weapons and powerups.
2) No. Didn't finish either.
3) 6 and a bit maps for Cult of Doom, 9 maps for Hell Bent.
4) I released part of the 7th Cult of Doom map as Helevator and the first 9 Hell Bent levels as Hell Bent EP1.
5) I stopped Cult of Doom because I realised that I could map better and there wasn't much worth salvaging from the levels I had made so far. I stopped Hell Bent as I went of the idea of a ZDoom megawad and was discouraged by the underwhelming reception the first episode received (deservedly for the most part).
6) Don't try to make anything big until you can consistently make levels of similar quality and you've developed a style you're comfortable with.
7) Try anyway if it's what you want to do. The chances are you'll either fail to finish or it won't be the magus opus but there's not much to lose.

Yeah, I've tried

Look at list

But in standart meaning of 32-level megawad - nope, I didn't tried, because it's waste of time and resources. For 8-10 levels - ok, possibly yes. For 32 - no, never. You getting tired on map#5, what about map#13 or map#26? ;)

If I make 32-level megawad - it MUST win cacoward, lol. But I know I am not professional mapper to do a cacoward WAD

Yeah, I've had a go at doing my own megawad and it is still an ongoing labour of love. I've got a few maps done one of which has seen the light of day. Perhaps when I've got the first six maps done I'll release them and add more maps along the way. I would imagine it'll be 2-4 years before I get to my 20 map goal though!!

Dave

Or those who make it a habit to post something once and disappear for another six years.

Yes, I remember my attempt. Upon getting my hands on Doom 2, I was ecstatic to try out all of those new STONE and BRICK textures that Ultimate Doom lacked. I was one among hundreds announcing I was going to make a wad with 32 maps. This was back in 2002 or so. Perhaps people still here who have been around back then remember a heap known as "Stone Stratagems" by Zeratul 982? It contained less-than-ideal...lightly put...1994-par quality maps with stolen ideas from other wads, including Doom 64. Only 21 of them, so...

2) Did you finish it?

...nope.

Yes. It may even still be in /idgames somewhere.

5) Why did you stop?

I'm lucky I got as far as 21 total. I started running out of ideas after 13. So what did I do? I started grabbing random single maps of mine, complete, incomplete, conceptual, etc., and threw them in. I even went as far as throwing in maps I made for Ultimate Doom (Yeah, never do that. Ever.)

I learned to never do it again.

...Ok, on a serious note, you better put in some serious planning, preparation, and dedication to the project beforehand. Most people never go through with the idea. Some may take them years of work. Some may never finish. Then some people are gods and prodigies and actually pull it off solo. Props to those.

Learn by doing. Or maybe that's just me.

I think I've made close to 32 map01s, if that counts. The most I've finished after the start map was perhaps 4-5 more full maps.

Fredrik said:

I think I've made close to 32 map01s, if that counts. The most I've finished after the start map was perhaps 4-5 more full maps.

Finish PAIN, you. :P

If no:
3) Nowhere, I did not start it, all my maps are standalone or submisions to community projects
4) All my finished maps are part of community projects so I can not release them.
5) I did not even started.
6) That I should practice single maps and speedup my process before I try megawad.
7) I have no experience with megawads, nothing to recommend.

Yea the questions are not the best ;p

In DeiMWolf I recreated 29 of the 30 levels in the original Wolfenstein trilogy. Does that count? (The 30th level does exist in the wad, but is unfinished.)

The levels are all rather slavish copies of the originals with exact square dimensions and even lighting throughout. Of course the project is far from finished, so this may change.

I started working on one in 2007. There are even a few screens of 3 of the maps on here someplace. I'm still working on it, except now it has been reduced from a 32 map project with all new textures to a 10 map project with a few new textures and an altered palette.
It will be released eventually.
6 of the maps are completely finished, scripting, balance and all.
It gets worked on mostly 1 day a week to make room for everything else I have in my life.

My advice is: don't bite off more than you can chew. Realize you are only 1 person and probably don't really want to lock yourself in your house, in front of your computer for the next couple of years.
Most people probably prefer to play smaller map packs anyway.
If your project doesn't have a very strong unifying theme then it doesn't even have to be a map pack. In that case, just release individual maps.

Phobus said:

2) Did you finish it?
3) How far did you get?
5) Why did you stop?

1) Not "32 maps", but looking back it was still a lot.

2) Nope.

3) Not even close. Didn't finish a single map. The progress that was done contained sub standard mapping I look back and cringe at. And people actually praised it at the time for some reason. I am referring to my first major project in roughly 06.

4) Wasn't worth it, mostly code. I don't code, someone else did while I mapped. Not making him release it.

5) It wasn't getting anywhere, and the project was losing its spark.

6) So much. I learned that I need to shut up and do instead of thinking of tons of cool shit in a finished project. I learned that ideas are worthless if you have nothing to show. I learned that everything comes down to the mapping and it should be the highest priority, as a mapper. If there is no significant mapping getting done, there is no project. I also learned how to map effectively by starting a layout, texturing it, then detailing. By using this process I have gotten so much work done recently and finished my biggest layout to date. The person I am working with keeps yelling at me to move on to the next map.

7) Back the fuck up and start small. Then stay small. Do what you can, don't add things you don't need to add. And make sure you are capable of what you want. If you want to add cutscenes, then map it before you write some amazing movie script or whatever. If you are thinking of a new system of gameplay then test it on a small scale before adding more and more. And if you are mapping then limit your texture use for fuck sake. It isn't even about skill, it's about having focus. You need to have extreme focus and get stuff done, even at times when nobody else is.

http://www.doomworld.com/19years/best3.php

Take a look at the right, then scroll down to the abandoned projects. TEM failed because I lacked focus, not because of skill. Having two fails so epic they got mentioned in the Cacowards is what slapped me with reality (thanks Xaser bby you whipped me into shape <3) Since then, I have been working hard on one of my failed projects and using everything I learned to move forward. I am limiting the maps to only a few, cutting out stuff that is not needed, and using a very small supply of textures. Because of this I've made more progress in this one thing than all my other failed attempts combined. Oh and DON'T LOOK FOR GLORY OR WHATEVER. Don't post new pics and make threads to get people to praise you. It's stupid and will provide you a false sense of confidence. That's mainly why I haven't remade the thread or posted screenshots. I don't want my momentum to suddenly drop. If you want satisfaction, then fucking finish it. But show it to a few people you know for critique.