Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2014 - final versions up

a friendly version of No BFG Allowed!, with a easier monster placement for the beginning, more ammo added at the later part (the one with the bfg), a better improved (i hope) difficulty skills implementation and fixed a little bug at the black wall stairs (a little mis-alignment at floor \ ceiling) and little more organization in the monster placement....

But don't worry, still remain a ignorant slaughtermap in "space".

This is a very cleaned up version of my first publicly released Doom map ever. It's been converted from ZDoom to Vanilla format, so I think I've weeded out all of the VPOs. It's been an uphill battle for this one.

The map's name is "pspmap08", since it was intended for a PlayStation Portable port of Doom that EarthQuake! was working on. The project quietly died, and all the maps were pretty much lost I guess. I still had my level lying around on an old computer, so here it. It's finally nice to put this level to rest; it's been a long ride, as the level was initially released in 2007.

I've intentionally kept the level as close as possible to its original form from seven years ago, largely for posterity's sake. Most of the changes I made were for vanilla compatibility, although I did touch up the lighting a lot.

Any FDA's would be really appreciated; I watch all of'em.

BlueFeena said:

Any FDA's would be really appreciated; I watch all of'em.

Here you go. I was successful on the 3rd attempt.

Punishment from high-tier monsters, while you don't have resources to kill them so you have to run, works well (and I liked it in your map), but can easily get tedious and uncomfortable for completionists (see the map later on). I haven't found my way to any more powerful weapons.

Visuals and structure are pretty good, though, definitely above average. Lots of "unnecessary" detail, but it never makes things look worse - I mean, in your case it doesn't. Also it's good how the map feels like a place (a base with a walkway around it, surrounded by nature) and is structured like that.

4 stars. :)

What the hey, I'll do a review today.

The map: Rock Bottom by Joe-Ilya.
Completed on UV 100%, 81% items, and 33% secrets.

Some of the notes I jotted down during play:
-cool windows
-blue spinning columns
-Mancubus cage room-cool

Overall I really enjoyed this level. My favorite part was seeing a Revenant gib a sergeant with enough force that the corpse flew up a set of steps and onto higher ground.

The exit is Plutonia style, which is neat.

I like the barred room with the Mancubi. One thing of note is that at the point I opened the wall up so they could see me, I was scrambling for rockets before fighting them. I'm sure I wasted rocket ammo beforehand, but it would still be nice to perhaps have an extra box of rockets (next to the one near that room), just in case.

Some things I would change:
-The one-time lift with the Revenant in it. I would redesign this so that the Revenant is not literally blocking the way out. I fell into the lift from the main building, only to be destroyed by the Revenant who I fell straight on top of.

-This isn't too much of a problem, but there is a barrel directly in front of the platform that you go down in order to lower the exit. Chances are, with all of the running and gunning going on, the barrel will have long been destroyed before the player gets to this point. In the off chance it isn't, though, the player will go down the platform with no way to get around the barrel except exploding it right in their face (or jumping, but due to the level's design, I assume the player isn't supposed to jump or crouch.)

-The switch used to open the yellow bars has no indication that a key is needed for it.

-Lastly, two of the traps could be toned up a bit. First: the barons around the yellow key. Because of their placement, they aren't much of a threat if the player simply runs for the key and heads back out. Perhaps if you put a sergeant or chaingunner in place of one of the barons, it would force the player to get rid of the hitscanner, leaving the baron on the other side more oppurtunity to inflict damage. The other trap is a wall that opens up with a Chaingunner and Demon behind it, I can't quite remember where. This could use a few more enemies, perhaps some imps or cacodemons.

Overall, "Rock Bottom" is good. I like the visuals (my favorites are the spinning blue key columns), and the sky is quite nice (I believe it is one from Plums recent sky pack, right?) But the level could still use a few tweaks here and there. I definitely had fun.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Sign me up, I'll have something done sooner or later.

Originally part of a 3-map WAD I was working on (might release it later on but putting the map here for now).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugxk2nehg2q9kxk/tmh-dwmp.wad?dl=0

Boom-compatible, MAP03 slot, uses a MIDI file by Jimmy ("Dimension of Dreams").

EDIT: Shoot, I need a name. Call it "Hellish Outpost".

Hey all,

Here's my map. It's vanilla compatible. Some of you will notice the gimmick almost instantly.
The zip has a lil' extra level for you ;)

No screenies for you. I don't want the pictures to give it away.

Special thanks to Bjorn Lynne for the music. The music doesn't play so well in PrBoom. Go with GZdoom for best results.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bxbjt2h4r41r7bx/heresy.zip

I'm new here, and as my first act of community outreach I'm submitting a level to this fine project you have going. It's a ZDoom compatible level called The Fantastic Love Adventure of Lt. Feel Good. (Disregard the title in the .txt file. This is fantastic, not amazing.)

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7qiau1a4pywikyp/absurdo2.zip

You'll also need to download my friend Obake's ewm.wad (for custom textures/monsters). Find it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/995j2qq662abi2h/ewm.zip

It's at about 99% completion. Just need additional play-testing to spot any overlooked bugs and iron out any gameplay or graphical issues you may come across. Since this is the very first map I've released, I'd really appreciate any feedback as well as FDA's. Here are a few screenshots to whet your appetite.

Spoiler

So sorry about this; had to make a couple of minor fixes.
4 sectors should not have been "secret" and some lines should have been teleport monsters only.

Download link is updated.

Rorix said:

Hey all,

Here's my map. It's vanilla compatible. Some of you will notice the gimmick almost instantly.
The zip has a lil' extra level for you ;)

Been playing the submitted maps and will be posting reviews daily. First up let's tackle Rorix's Heresy. Clever design intelligently utilizes height variation and many window openings to create a dangerous environment. You're forced to be hyper-aware of your surroundings. Stay put in any spot too long and you could be victim to a rocket delivered from the revenant atop the platform in the distance, but be careful of where you move or you'll get hit with a stray fireball or open yourself to chaingunner's fire.

This is what I like, a compact level filled with tense battles and fun traps. The whole spectrum of monsters is represented (sans Cybie and Mastermind) in an array of permutations. There are tons of secrets, big and small. Detailing is important for me and Heresy delivers. In particular I like this staggered light motif that appears throughout the level:

Spoiler

A couple of flaws I found. These two misaligned textures:
Spoiler

Good job, Rorix. This is my favorite of the one's I've played so far (not counting Obake's since our friendship makes me impartial). Next time I'll go over TheMightyHeracross's Hellish Outpost.

Thank you Walter :) Thank you Toxie :)

That starbr misalignment ... ack! Bloody auto-align :/
The compspan one I don't think I can fix. I can't uppeg the textures without the moving sector screwing with them.

Yes, the map turned out remarkably well. I might start a thread for a project with maps like these. I felt compelled to have really good gameplay and lots of detail because the layout was (almost) done for me.

TheMightyHeracross said:

D:>
Crap, now you've got me nervous (I'm a newbie mapper).
Still looking forward to it, though.

Well, the map did strike me as a newbie's map. It was short, linear and oddly-shaped. The battles are challenging in that there are loads of enemies with enough variety to allow for infighting. Ammo is plentiful and you get the strong weapons early. The texture choices gave the rooms variety while fitting within a hellish them. Brightness levels varied to good effect. I liked the room before the last where walking over the teleport moves up half the metal columns that are blocking entry to the last room. Speaking of which, it's a nice way to top off the map, though the big monsters (cybie + mastermind) plus monster spawners in giant fleshy room is cliche at this point.

Some technical problems. There's the visual problem seen in these two screens:

Spoiler

It appears to be caused by overlapping sectors as seen in the builder:
Spoiler

Then there's this from the first room:
Spoiler

I think it can be fixed by checking the 'clip midtexture' tag.

Overall, Hellish Outpost is okay. I like the odd architecture of the first room and it's fun to play, but it's also forgettable and a bit ugly. Next time I'll go over Joe Ilya's Rock Bottom.

Nah, almost too late but I'm here! Shinytown Estate (silly name, couldnt find better) - vanilla-compatible speedmap.

Map is on the MAP2 slot!! I was sick of MAP01 music, and didn't want to add custom one.

Crasger said:

"Cleaner Sewers"
It's in the MAP10 slot. ZDoom/Vanilla compatible.

ZDoom/Vanilla compatible, is that a joke?

The biggest problem of this map is that you did a sloppy job on monster placement. You've just thrown many random high-HP monsters to random places, which got boring fast in such an extensive and same-y map. In addition, there were no special gameplay scenarios, no purposeful use of height variation while fighting. I admit that I've used "mdk" cheat on most of the enemies in my way. I was also quite disappointed that behind the red door, I've only found another half of the exact same sloggish-ness.

Unified environment with simple (often IWAD-like) visuals, exploration factor and spacious areas comfortable to move around - all of these were nice here. But overally the map sucked, due to its gameplay and also due to flat, orthogonal and not-enough varied layout. Sorry, that's how I feel about it.

scifista42 said:

ZDoom/Vanilla compatible, is that a joke?

Not sure where to classify it really.
I made it using the vanilla Doom 2 game configuration and it was meant to be played without jumping, freelook or crouching; but it uses MAPINFO. ZDoom?

Thanks for the review anyway-- I appreciate the honesty. The map does feel a bit sloppy, but I couldn't get around to attempting to fix the lack of variation.

Still can't get the hang of adding variations to the level design. Any tips?

You can afford to ditch the mapinfo anyway, it doesn't seem to affect the map's functionality. If the map itself plays with vanilla engine / Chocolate Doom, then it's vanilla. If it breaks VISPLANES / DRAWSEGS / VISSPRITES / 64 scrolling actions / other limits and needs a limit removing port, then it's limit removing. If it uses Boom actions or relies on other Boom features, then it's Boom. If it uses other port-specific features (ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum), then it's port-specific to the respective port.

Tips? Add some areas with much higher ceiling heights or floor dropdowns, make there ledges, alcoves, windows and such things, place monsters above and below the player's level, let the player reach all the areas of various heights, preferably make the whole gameplay based on that (instead of plain 2D extensive exploring). When placing monsters, think about their abilities and endurance, use them to give challenge to the player efficiently, but at the same time, player should be able to kill them quickly enough before he gets bored by repeated shooting. When you think your map is too short and you want to prolong it, never do so by repeating the same rooms / designs / ideas again, either come up with something fresh or end the map for the good of it.

scifista42 said:

You can afford to ditch the mapinfo anyway, it doesn't seem to affect the map's functionality. If the map itself plays with vanilla engine / Chocolate Doom, then it's vanilla.

Vanilla it is, then.

scifista42 said:

Tips?

Ah. Thanks for the numerous tips.

I've dabbled in height and room variation, but not enough.
I'll just trash "Cleaner Sewers", then.

I've got something else in the works with the same theme. I'll try adding several variations to it.

I thik quality does ot matter that much for Doomworld Mega Project, since the aim here is to get a map from as much people as possible.

I'm posting this to ask if someone by chance downloaded and kept a version of my map? I can't find anything related to my map on my laptop. if so, please contact me ASAP.