Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

What are your Doom Habits

Patrol1985 said:

After Doom I expect every FPS game to have an awesome and useful shotgun-type weapon.

It sucks that you just can't kill two or more enemies at once with a shotgun anymore in most modern fps games, hell you can barely even kill one enemy with a single shotgun blast anymore.

All multiplayer games ever that I play: Shotgun in my hands: Never kills anyone, even with a headshot. Everyone else using it on me: Oneshotted, no matter where it hits. *throws hands in air*

The only modern FPS shotgun ive ever really enjoyed was Halo's one, and only against the Flood. It actually felt useful then. I loved some of Mass Effect 3's shotguns, but yeah, not an FPS

I used the shotgun a ton in Resident Evil 4 but only because there was ammo for it everywhere. If I had machine gun ammo I definitely would have preferred that.

With modern ports, I never overwrite savegames because I never need to. I've still got old ZDoom directories from 2003 with savegames for the start of every map of every Doom IWAD, and looking back at them now... Jesus Christ I was shit at using ammo efficiently. I must have used the BFG9000 a lot too:

I budget all my shots.

After surveying the number of dropped weapons from former humans, sergeants and HWGs, I will fire the same number of rounds accounted for into the enemies I encounter next. Then, I come back and collect those dropped weapons. In the same token, if I see an array of bullets, cells, rockets, shells, etc., I will keep mental note in my mind how many shots I can make for a perfect pick up. Again, this is what I'll fire into the enemies I encounter next (or until another ammo dump) and any enemies remaining will be get the chainsaw, infighting or Tyson treatment so I can keep my ammo capacity at 100% as often as possible. Same goes for health/soul spheres, megaarmor, megaspheres, etc.

Ragnor said:

There should be special award at intermission for this kind of play :D

Ammo scrooging is its own reward/affliction.

I immediately choose UV in any wad I play, to my own peril.
Whenever I grab a Berserk, I must fist every imp/player I find. FIST-ING!
I conserve waaay too much heavy ordinance, so I, too, will run out of shells and bullets, then in the middle of FIST-ING! imps, figure out that (and wonder why) I have maxed out rockets and cells... though generally I've found myself using rockets and cells more often since going through TNT Evilution again.
I've recently broke the habit of being that annoying fuck who bunnyhops in Zandronum DM, though I still sometimes use it when just moving longer distances.

40oz said:

Whats up with that? shotguns suck in like every game except doom don't they?

Apparently had to be hilariously nerfed in Samsara. It's like dual wielding Doom II's super shotties, and even a single wield is brutal in multiplayer.

Ragnor said:

All multiplayer games ever that I play: Shotgun in my hands: Never kills anyone, even with a headshot. Everyone else using it on me: Oneshotted, no matter where it hits. *throws hands in air*

The only modern FPS shotgun ive ever really enjoyed was Halo's one, and only against the Flood. It actually felt useful then. I loved some of Mass Effect 3's shotguns, but yeah, not an FPS

In multiplayer on Halo (1), assuming normal shield and health, it's true you will not 1-shot with a shotgun, but I tend to use it in extremely close quarters such that it is easy to get into melee range (it's tons of fun to camp a Blood Gulch base with these since so many people get pissed off) and follow a shotgun blast with a melee. This is almost always a guaranteed kill. Halo PC's netcode is a steaming pile, though, which is why it's not *always*.

Enzo03 said:

[/img]
Apparently had to be hilariously nerfed in Samsara. It's like dual wielding Doom II's super shotties, and even a single wield is brutal in multiplayer.

And when you synchronized firing so that they can shoot with minimum pause, it is just raining fire and death. It's glorious. :3

40oz said:

I used the shotgun a ton in Resident Evil 4 but only because there was ammo for it everywhere. If I had machine gun ammo I definitely would have preferred that.

The shotguns in RE4 are good solely for the fact that it's so satisfying when the enemies' heads explode. Once you got it levelled up to maximum damage, it's the best weapon in the game. It's one of my favourite games also but the Doom shotguns still reign supreme.

Here's one for you. In maps that are full of things like elevated walkways, ledges, tall/long staircases, and other vertical geometry shifts, I am given to going out of my way (sometimes to the point of subjecting myself to markedly more personal peril) to dance around and position myself in relation to enemies so that I can send their bodies flying off of the ledge or up/down the staircase as I deal the killing blow. Bonus points for sending more than one corpse flying away at once (via rockets, SSG, BFG, etc.), for somehow employing a barrel at some point of the process, for performing the maneuver against a large enemy (e.g. BFGing a cyberdemon over a dropoff), and for those rare but delightful cases where you can knock a body off of more than one plane as it falls/slides (e.g. up a staircase and then off a dropoff at the top of the staircase). Another variant of this is to try to get cacodemon corpses to land on top of large crate stacks that cannot be reached, into nukage vats or waterfall dropoffs, or the like.

It's irrational. It's inefficient. It's stupid. It's fun!

Demon of the Well said:

It's irrational. It's inefficient. It's stupid. It's fun!

When I play PSX Doom, I often try to kill as many things as possible while they're in a doorway, even if it means running up close to certain monsters and taking melee damage. The sound of a dozen corpses getting smashed by a closing door in that game is just indescribably beautiful, especially if the area has reverb.

I have to have at least one dead body in the room (virgin) and a rusty gauntlet of goat blood next to my monitor to really get that Doom experience.

40oz said:

Except for in Perfect Dark With the double burst feature.

For levels I've played a bunch of times, I tend to always play them in the same order in terms of pathways: for example in KDITD there are usually multiple pathways at the beginning and I will always play them the same way. I don't know why! I also save after every few minutes or so, just because if I'm playing a really hard map, I don't want to have repeat difficult sections over and over. id gave us the save feature because that type of gameplay is frustrating - see Dark Forces!

BaronOfStuff said:

With modern ports, I never overwrite savegames because I never need to. I've still got old ZDoom directories from 2003 with savegames for the start of every map of every Doom IWAD, and looking back at them now... Jesus Christ I was shit at using ammo efficiently. I must have used the BFG9000 a lot too

Doesnt ZDoom wreck old saves when updating though? This is the reason I never finish the Raven games or Strife.

Ragnor said:

Doesnt ZDoom wreck old saves when updating though?

Yes, which is why I still have directories from 2003, and not just savegames.

I remember using the shotgun a lot in Max Payne 1, the pumpaction shotgun was a lot more efficient than the sawnoff shotgun which only shot one shell at a time I remember, but the Jackhammer shotgun was even better because it only shot two main large pellets per shell and was automatic. I've been meaning to recreate the Jackhammer from Max Payne 1 into Doom but I can't find a decent sprite of the Pancor Jackhammer Shotgun.

Doominator2 said:

Except for in Perfect Dark With the double burst feature.

Really? Perfect Dark is the game I think of when I think of bad shotguns. That and Doom 3, actually. Hated the two times you pretty much had to use a shotgun in that game. Double burst doesn't solve the problem of its piss-poor reload time (and it loads nine shells at the time...)

Dragonsbrethren said:

Really? Perfect Dark is the game I think of when I think of bad shotguns. That and Doom 3, actually.

Doom 3's shotgun is so fucking horrible that it's not even funny. I have to edit the weapon's definition every time I reinstall Doom 3 now; a shotgun should have a more effective range than 'point blank'.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Really? Perfect Dark is the game I think of when I think of bad shotguns. That and Doom 3, actually. Hated the two times you pretty much had to use a shotgun in that game. Double burst doesn't solve the problem of its piss-poor reload time (and it loads nine shells at the time...)

Now that I think about it, its really the autoaim that acutally made the gun good imo, but I have to agree that the reload time is unforgivable.

as soon as the girlfriend leaves i turn down the lights, put on the sweats, grab the headphones, crank the volume to 11, call upon our lord satan, and get so involved that when i get back into reality i realize how much i wish the world was 8-bit.

i also reload way too often (problem on accessories to murder), save too often, read every single text page that pops up...even though theyre usually the same thing ive seen a thousand times, and smoke my ecig too hard during the intermission screens.

Avoozl said:

It sucks that you just can't kill two or more enemies at once with a shotgun anymore in most modern fps games, hell you can barely even kill one enemy with a single shotgun blast anymore.

fear is the only game that did the shotgun right since doom. the only one.

cortlong50 said:

fear is the only game that did the shotgun right since doom. the only one.

Soldier of Fortune 2 Double Helix had a pretty good pumpaction shotgun.

I remember it being quite fun blasting peoples limbs off with it after obtaining it for the first time in the hotel map.

I'm somewhat of an ammo scrooge, always saving bullets, rockets, and cells and being too dependent on that shotguns. I also don't like to chainsaw Demons all too much. Instead, I prefer to use Berserk or the SSG if I lack the former. However, I try to lure Cacodemons close to me so I can chainsaw them, seems to be easier that way with how much they flinch.

I'm a frequent saver, an ammo scrooge and obsessed with monster infighting.

40oz said:

In most games they do, especially if it's a multiplayer game. However, I can think of two post-doom games which did the shotguns perfectly (at least to my taste)

1. Blood (the first one, from 1997), where you had a sawed-off shotgun. Using this weapon's alternate fire with "guns akimbo" powerup felt SO good.

2. RAGE. It has a combat shotgun and a double-barrelled shotgun. The damage and effective range just feel right for me.

I like Duke3D's shotgun but I hate Quake's. Even the SSG in Quake was no fun unless you have Quad Damage.