Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Devalaous

"Remix" wads (Wonderful Doom, TNT Renascence etc)

Whats the general opinion on these? Wonderful Doom and TNT Renascense are the only example I know of, but these are wads that basically remix IWAD maps. WD is pretty much a second romp through all of Ultimate Doom, with absolutely everything rearranged and changed around, yet still feeling exactly the same (Minus Warrens, that level was Hangar al lover again for a change), to the point that every so often, I get confused to this day over which map is the official map when I think of a map form memory

TNT Renascence is much shorter, its essentially Wonderful Doom for the first episode of TNT Evilution, ie maps 1 to 11.

Are there any more out there, for say, Doom 2? Seems theres a lot of interest in this type of thing, given Switcheroom and that other project with the fusion of random IWAD maps.

WD was a great way to relive UD without being the same mapset I know almost off by heart, would love to see more like it.

There's also Decade and KDIZD's super-secret map. Though I guess they're more "medley" than "remix".

Phobos Revisited is a remix of E1 of Doom. I've played E1 of this and wonderful Doom. I liked Phobos Revisited more than Wonderful Doom because it fells slightly less like rearranged Doom maps, though I'm not really a fan of maps like this so I might not be the best judge.

esselfortium said:

A lot of Plutonia's levels are remixes of Doom and Doom 2 levels.

Outside of the obvious Go 2 It, which ones? I only remember the two Living End styled ones (which werent exactly "rearrangements" to my memory)

Is there anything for Doom 2, either full or partial?

EDIT: I see, Remain 1. I see that Eternal has remixed both Doom and TNT's first episode. Wish he did all the levels of both. Its such a blast playing the same old levels all changed like this.

Ragnor said:

Outside of the obvious Go 2 It, which ones? I only remember the two Living End styled ones (which werent exactly "rearrangements" to my memory)

For Plutonia? Most of the stuff is a remix of a doom/doom 2 idea. With more blatant stuff like Crypt, Neurosphere, NME and Slayer where entire geometry was pretty much lifted, to pretty heavy homages like Caged and Twilight, to levels pretty much being Doom 2 the way the Casalis would have, where the concept of a Doom 2 level is just reworked with stuff like Odyssey of Noises, Final Frontier, Anti-Christ to the more abstract stuff like Tombstone which is the Plutonia version of an E2 Tom Hall style map or the various Sandy Petersenesque mixing of ideas and gimmicks in things like Temple of Darkness, Impossible Mission, Death Domain. Most of the shit the Casalis did was heavily, heavily influenced by existing id material. Fuck they made a map in TNT that was literally just a hubspoke connecting different parts of Doom 2 maps together.

I've heard this said (Plutonia's Doom/II rehashes) a few times and while I don't disbelieve it, it was not something I was aware of until it was pointed out.

It would be really cool if someone like Tarnsman did a full analysis of this or even something like PLUT MAP01 = DOOM XX etc.

I scanned through a few entries in the wiki and it makes note of Neurosphere being similar to Inmost Dens and Slayer to Circle of Death but it would be good if the "inspiration" was noted on all the applicable maps.

From the more recent and actually quality releases, there's Doomworld Mega Project 2013, the vanilla wad, MAP18 "Infernal Alignment" by Z86. Awesome "remix" of Doom's E3. :)

purist said:

I've heard this said (Plutonia's Doom/II rehashes) a few times and while I don't disbelieve it, it was not something I was aware of until it was pointed out.

It would be really cool if someone like Tarnsman did a full analysis of this or even something like PLUT MAP01 = DOOM XX etc.

I scanned through a few entries in the wiki and it makes note of Neurosphere being similar to Inmost Dens and Slayer to Circle of Death but it would be good if the "inspiration" was noted on all the applicable maps.

It's not hard to see if you look at it right, kind of like those magic eye things. The parallels are definitely there, though the Casalis reworked them to their own ends.

An awful lot of citations and pretty much no answers to the first question.

I don't really like remixes of existing levels because I tend to go into them with preconceived expectations, and get frustrated when they're done incorrectly or poorly or are way too farfetched.

I think modelling a map off of an existing map is okay since it works as a source of inspiration, but I'd prefer mappers analyzing the gameplay style of the maps you want to make a remix of more importantly than the visual style. Going for visual style before gameplay tricks the player into thinking they're going to like the map and then being dissappointed when they don't. my two cent.

Tarnsman said:

For Plutonia? Most of the stuff is a remix of a doom/doom 2 idea. With more blatant stuff like Crypt, Neurosphere, NME and Slayer where entire geometry was pretty much lifted, to pretty heavy homages like Caged and Twilight, to levels pretty much being Doom 2 the way the Casalis would have, where the concept of a Doom 2 level is just reworked with stuff like Odyssey of Noises, Final Frontier, Anti-Christ to the more abstract stuff like Tombstone which is the Plutonia version of an E2 Tom Hall style map or the various Sandy Petersenesque mixing of ideas and gimmicks in things like Temple of Darkness, Impossible Mission, Death Domain. Most of the shit the Casalis did was heavily, heavily influenced by existing id material. Fuck they made a map in TNT that was literally just a hubspoke connecting different parts of Doom 2 maps together.

Trust Mr DTWiD to provide a detailed post :p I never noticed anything like that, aside from the obvious Living End styled maps, the Downtown styled one and the extremely obvious Go 2 It. sure, ive only completed Plutonia once, which may be a cause.

40oz said:

I don't really like remixes of existing levels because I tend to go into them with preconceived expectations, and get frustrated when they're done incorrectly or poorly or are way too farfetched.

Thats one of the reasons I like them actually. House of Pain for example, in normal HoP, you cant get into that room with all the bodies, its just an eerie thing to look at through a window. In Wonderful Doom, you CAN get in there. Its great fun being inside a level that looks and feels like another place, but is actually very different. You cant completely rely on your memories of the original.