Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Anyone actually played Dethtag?

There's a series of Vanilla levels that implement capture-the-flag style gameplay using Vanilla Doom. Usually you have to press a bunch of switches to score points. I first learned about it from a friend years ago who showed me 3 Guyz With Gunz, though the rules were so complicated that I never quite understood how you were supposed to play it.

It turns out though that there are a whole series of Dethtag levels. They seem to have originated on DWANGO in 1995, with Aikman (of DWANGO5 fame) being one of the original creators of the concept. The idgames archive has an entire directory full of Dethtag levels. Not all the levels seem to follow the exact same rules.

Clearly it's not very popular any more - modern multiplayer ports can do "proper" Capture the Flag without needing clever Vanilla tricks. But it's still interesting from a historical perspective. Has anyone actually played any of these levels? Is it any fun?

I believe these levels were the inspiration for Skulltag. Old-timers who were around back then would certainly be welcome to write about it on the Doom wiki.

I have heard of it before but never tried it myself. There is also a Skulltag game mode that goes by the name of Skull Tag (funnily enough) that one I haven't played at all either. This mode uses the coloured skull keys and is similar to CTF, but has some differences I do believe (perhaps Dethtag was used as inspiration for the game mode). One game mode I used to enjoy was Domination back in ST's day sadly, it's not even played at all now same thing with Terminator and quite a lot of OS DM is replaced by duels now. I would be interested in giving this a shot though.

Gez said:

I believe these levels were the inspiration for Skulltag. Old-timers who were around back then would certainly be welcome to write about it on the Doom wiki.

I'm pretty sure Carnevil said something like that when we interviewed him on WXR, I could check to confirm that but it sounds about right.

40oz said:

I'm pretty sure Carnevil said something like that when we interviewed him on WXR, I could check to confirm that but it sounds about right.

Yep, heard about it from your interview.