Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Please don't use temporary hostings when uploading demos/wads

WadHost isn't the digital dumpster it used to be and DRD Team's file sharing appears to be gone for good. I suppose an alternate archive for stuff that's not ready or suitable for /idgames would help, if someone's prepared to host it.

Personally, I'm using Wuala, which is a Dropbox-like hosting service. (thanks for the recommendation TimeOfDeath) I guess it will die one day too but surely it's a lot more reliable than speedyshare, etc. I just want people to put a bit more effort into preserving the history, making stuff easily accessible for people who will be reading their threads a few weeks/months/years later, etc.

I think attaching in the specific thread is the way to go. Some may say, "well, the demo will remain but the WAD will likely be lost." Even then, a demo without a WAD is better than losing access to everything entirely. Many of us archive a lot of stuff, so some of the lost beta-stage or whatever WADs will pop up anyway, if people ask.

If we get to agree in general, we can edit the Demo recordings for WADs & mods thread to encourage attaching even more.

It works for me, but only until such time as the account's deemed inactive and closed, at which point every wad attached to it disappears.

What about this: Every 2 or 3 months we make an .iso with all the wads uploaded to the forums in that time and upload it somewhere.

I think that one.ubuntu.com is a good filehosting service...

5GB of free space (more if you pay for it), no ads, no waiting, no captcha, direct download links, only one tracker from google, no termination for inactive accounts, etc.

Seems too good to be true.. I still do not understand where is the catch, maybe there is not one.

Also, if you register in there through this link, then we both should get 500MB bonus space for hosting:
https://one.ubuntu.com/referrals/referee/3263805/

I'm a lazy fuck and will therefore keep on using third party sites. Not really because I'm a lazy fuck but because there is a side-effect-free possibility of just allowing attachments to wads/mods.

SkyDrive works for me, 7gb of free space and its easy to use. I've never understand why people use sites like speedyshare or rapidshare...

Dave

Phendrena said:

SkyDrive works for me, 7gb of free space and its easy to use. I've never understand why people use sites like speedyshare or rapidshare...

Dave

The SkyDrive website doesn't even run on my browser, heh. But with the layout and feel of the error page alone I'm going to assume this is a service requiring account registration, being connected with said account to update and perhaps even runs a process all the time in the background and/or forces you to go through their dedicated interface to upload stuff. If any of these assumptions are true, there's your answer.

Phml said:

The SkyDrive website doesn't even run on my browser, heh. But with the layout and feel of the error page alone I'm going to assume this is a service requiring account registration, being connected with said account to update and perhaps even runs a process all the time in the background and/or forces you to go through their dedicated interface to upload stuff. If any of these assumptions are true, there's your answer.

Yes you do need to register but it is free. You don't need to download any software or have anything running in the background - just login and drag and drop what you want to upload. As for your browser not working, no idea what your using so can't comment on that.

Dave

You mean the Windows Live Folders SkyDrive I need a Microsoft Account for? Not interested!

BTW - there's an inactive accounts clause you mightn't have read.

"Portions of the services require that you sign into your Microsoft account at least once every 270 days. Failing to do so will (unless provided otherwise in an offer for paid services) result in a closure of your access to and use of that portion of the services, and you may permanently lose your content on that portion of the services."

GreyGhost said:

You mean the Windows Live Folders SkyDrive I need a Microsoft Account for? Not interested!

BTW - there's an inactive accounts clause you mightn't have read.

Yeah I am aware of the 270 day login requirement. I've used Hotmail for years and it is still my primary mail provider so it is convenient for myself. I've used 4shared as a host for stuff in the past and still do maintain an active account there but I do find SkyDrive (or whatever it will be renamed too) quite a slick choice. Still everyone has their own preference.

Dave