Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
subject_119

[PrBoom] And The Bloodshed Began

I can't for the life of me find the second secret on map 1. I really enjoyed map 2, and am still working my way through map 3. It has a pretty classic feel so far. Can't wait to play more!

I've played through the first couple of levels and I'm really enjoying it. It certainly has a particular style and I like it.

Thanks for the FDA,i saw a problem with a doors and i have fixed the problems at the map04 and 06.

I wait the end of your FDA for a final release.

With MAP06 there seems to be a part with a grate and a water room behind it, I can see that on the map because I use textured display in gzdoom, however it would appear that the grate lacks transparency so you can't see the the room with water through it.

Memfis said:

IT SEEMS THAT RIBBIKS DIDN'T NOTICE MY THREAD

oh I noticed, but chose to disregard it for the following reasons:

- that mediafire link will stay alive for the foreseeable future, as long as I still have my account there.
- I'm lazy and that thread thing seems like more effort, also it's like double posting.
- Honestly I'm perfectly ok with some mediocre fdas being lost to the bowels of the interwebs someday

11_20: http://speedy.sh/J4VyC/atbb11-20-fda-rbk.zip
21_32: http://speedy.sh/29dBY/atbb21-32-fda-rbk.zip

the latter demos are borderline worthless, I started getting impatient and playing like a jackass.

overall many sections of the mapset felt offensively tedious, often with excessive doorcamping and high-hp enemies in non-threatening positions... aesthetically I think the height of the wad was that green level (tribute to 3HA_32?). Gameplay wise I think the the levels going for the HR vibe were probably the most entertaining for me.

Cool. I haven't played all of it yet, but I really got into it by map12. The red hall arch-vile fight in particular was great. Very distinctive look on some minor details here and there. I liked the trap design, plenty of "aha!" moments in there.

I'm stuck on map07. I have the red skullkey and the yellow skullkey. Yellow door does not open. I can't find any more switches. Is there a specific complevel that I'm supposed to be playing on?

40oz said:

Yellow door does not open.

Argh... The lines which are supposed to open this door are marked with tag 22, and the door itself isn't tagged. I hoped that we had managed to wipe all these bugs during playtesting, and apparently it's not the case.
I just had a quick playthrough with PrBoom 2.5.0 and ZDoom 2.7.1, and fortunately the door opens correctly though. Which port are you using ?

Regarding complevel, 9 should work fine.

I'm currently 8 levels deep in. These maps are not examples of top-notch polished modern mapping, but I'm not gonna be an ass here, because I'm thoroughly enjoying the playthrough and the mapset plays just great! Nothing like ammo-struggling prolongs the experience, the maps seem to be designed well for a comfortable move and navigation, quick advance and easy backtracking/exploring. Also a whole lot of interesting combat situations is provided. While playing this, I realized I'm probably overthinking my own mapping. Right here there's a megawad which shows me how mapping is apparently easy, and good gameplay is above everything, which I very strongly feel now. I even came to a conclusion that this approach, focusing on nothing but delivering the joy from Doom-style shooting, is the only right approach - such a strong effect these maps had on me. Many thanks for this experience. Good job on the megawad!

subject_119 said:
Ok first post was edited with the link to the final realease

Do you still have the link to the old one? I can't watch the FDAs otherwise...

Ah, good thinking, thanks!

P.S. Yeah, I suspect he removed the last ones, since he complained about how he played there.

I skipped map 07 and played the rest over the past two days. This wad is a blast! It's a fun reminder that a space marine with mega armor, a super shotgun, and 100 shells is an unstoppable death machine. I think that's one of the essential ingredients that makes a megawad a classic megawad. This wad makes me hopeful for things like hell revealed 3, Requiem 2 and kama sutra 2. All of the maps specialize in fun, and I think speed runners will have a ball with this one. All of the maps are amazing bloodbaths, but arent quite as sadistic as swim with the whales or speed of doom. I was able to get through it without too much trouble using two saves per level. Highly recommended. :)

By the way I used odamex.0.6.2. I know I'm weird. Its possible it could have been and odabug. Not all boom compatible wads work perfectly in it.

I'm currently in MAP21 (I make huge pauses in my playthroughs). A lot of the map's gameplay feel quite "uninspired" and the visuals (while not at all bad) are often underwhelming, but for someone who's after a classic run-and-gun in a new (non-revolutionary) environment, the maps fulfil their purpose well enough. There are many nice moments, after all. It's good there are such megawads, simply providing a shootage with not much focus on polish, because those can at least be created quickly and still new and new. Anyway I'd recommend the designers that: in your future maps, you'd better try to come up with ideas and settings interesting enough to satisfy even Doom veterans. Those had already seen a lot in various wads, and a generic shooting might not be good enough for them anymore.

Thank you for your feedback buddy, we'll try to keep this in mind for our next wads. I'm glad you're enjoying ATBB!

So I've finally managed to make my playthrough to the end. I can say a couple things about it.

This wasn't a downright bad megawad at all, however to actually enjoy it, a person has to play it while in a special state of mind. First, he has to convince himself that all he's looking for is some hellspawn to shoot. Not a revolutionary leveldesign or gameplay concepts, not something outstanding or surprisingly new. That's because megawads like this one have been made many, many times before, so that hardcore players could be already getting sick of them and want more. I've already spoken about it in my previous post.

Secondly, the player must prepare for a fair amount of thoughtless horde spam-shooting. I personally condemn this as a sign of uninspired leveldesign. Specially if the spam-slaughter takes place in a rectangular/circular room and monsters are all on the same floor. I highly prefer maps that put some more thought and art into them, taking advantage of every variation/challenge-making element that Doom and the Doom engine offers, like height variation, monster's special abilities etc. Unfortunately, ATBB has lots of these plain situations in majority of its maps.

Lastly, a lot of maps has a too obvious "inspiration" source. I'd even say they're terribly unoriginal. I said the same thing in datacore's Doom1 mapset thread. Players are interested to see your original design. If you rely on doing random tributes (and specially if your skill is below the art you're tributing), your work is very likely to end up being considered a bad ripoff.

That's my final thoughts. To sum up again: As I'd focused my attention just to a "relaxing" shootage, this megawad entertained me well and for a long time, which I evaluate positively. However it's far from top notch quality that a modern player would like to see. For next time, remember: Variation, fresh ideas, originality, quality over quantity. All in all, good job and I thank you for the opportunity to try out your work. :)

EDIT: By the way, subject_119, comparing your work to the datacore's, you're on a similar level, but anyway you map noticeably better as far as I could have seen. I've got an impression that datacore was running out of patience and filled the megawad with under-par maps with a (wrong) quantity over quality approach. It's a shame there are not more maps from you.