Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Seaside Hotel & friends (WIP ZDoom maps)

To be a collection of a yet undecided number of ZDoom maps, for the most part inspired by some of my favorite modarchive tracks. Maps will be in UDMF format and will have a few new monsters (and when I say new I mean from Realm667), with mostly cosmetic enhancements to weaponry, scenery, monsters, etc. Other than these, not a whole lot of other ZDoom features should come into play. Gameplay should therefore resemble any of my recent-ish works pretty closely.

I hope for this to eventually grow into a multi-episode pack, but I'll stop whenever my inspiration does.

=======================
THE MAPS (so far)

Untitled Episode
track: (From Out of Nothing) Up by Tarantula, also heard in Agent Spork's Geo X although uncredited it seems (shame on you Spork)
screenshots: imgur album
This one's rather on hold right now, so this may very well become nothing in the end.

Seaside Hotel
tracks:
Atlantis Highway by stinkbug and FearofDark
Seaside Hotel 2 - rooms by Purple Motion
Seldom Seen by Radix
screenshots: yo dawg

Aiming for 5ish maps with this episode, but hopefully 3 at the very least. Previous works that these maps will resemble: Pogostick map and Seaside Hotel invasion map*

=======================

Everything is obviously very WIP so any and all feedback is welcome :D

* available for download on Zandronum forums here!!!

1/26/14 edit: updated OP, old one is available here
1/19/14 edit: added new Seaside Hotel screenshot

Man this looks fucking sweet. Not sure about the use of Realm 667 monsters but looks good nonetheless. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

looks good.. but I suggest to use better name than "some newfangled zdoom mapset", that does not really sound appealing.

thanks gents! I suppose I'll think of a better name, if you insist... I put a lot of thought into this one though :'(

zrrion: yeah. other than fancy effects like dynamic lights, there shouldn't be anything exclusive to GZDoom

ay. that's unfortunate, didn't know about that. well. out with the dynamic lights I suppose!

Tango this look pretty interesting man! I like the beach shot on the whole, but I think the sand...uh, doesn't really look like sand. It's too brown. Well maybe it's a dirt beach, I dunno.

Everything else looks tasty though :D

Looking good, Tango. The very bright, sunny outdoor theme always catches the eye, simply because it's so relatively uncommon in WADs (although maybe making a bit of a surge recently?).

Anyway, built-in aesthetic enhancements sound fine to me--you know, things like shell casings, alternate death animations for enemies, things like that--and in fact I'd probably use those more often as add-ons if they weren't generally uncommon in my preferred ports. Similarly, new (or modified) weapons and enemies won't put me off, either, but since you've asked for opinions on the matter, I personally would probably be more content in the absence of drastically changed or noveau gameplay mechanics ala headshots, reduced player speed, stealth kills, fatalities, regen/cover systems, things like that. Basically, you can slap all of the wallpaper and spitshine on it that you like, but that it remain essentially DooM as it has been for years and years would be most to my liking.

Of course, no matter what you decide to do with it, I'll probably try it anyway. ;)

your feedback is much appreciated my friend! there are a lot of things I like about Brutal Doom but likewise a lot of things I don't care for; namely the things you mentioned. I suppose what I'd care to incorporate most would be the "enhanced" weapons, as some of the weapons in BD feel pretty damn great (namely the shotgun; I actually use it now!). fatalities, stealth kills, super blud n guts, yadda yadda are thankfully not on my radar at this point.

got a solid amount of this single beach map done, though hopefully with much more to come before I call this one done and move onto the next in the episode. any takers for testing? :D

Tango said:

ay. that's unfortunate, didn't know about that. well. out with the dynamic lights I suppose!

This really is a shame, is there no way to make the <!> graphic appear as a blank, so the dynmaic light actors can be present without causing harm in ZDoom?