• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

The Doom Dictionary

Define Doom related terms
for example

CHAIN GUN SNIPING
Def: To repeatedly tap the fire button to increase the chainguns accuracy.

BDLing:
To post random pointless threads repeatedly and ask people to grade things on a scale of 1 to 5.

SENTIENT LIFT
Def: a lift that goes up too early as you clearly had the time to go pick up that box of shells.

Verb
procrastinate (third-person singular simple present procrastinates, present participle procrastinating, simple past and past participle procrastinated)

1. (intransitive) To put off, to delay taking action; to wait until later.
2. (transitive) To put off, to delay (something).

syn: delay, Mordeth.

Gibs: Chunks of bloody flesh, bones and organs left from players and particular monsters upon death when the final amount of damage taken is beyond the remaining amount of health.

Apparently I'm not that good at doing definitions, I couldn't find the original definition for gibs.

suicide exit: To complete the mission by martyrdom; a NSA trigger word.

Olympus said:

Chain gun cha cha: that dance that imps do when eating bullets from a chain gun.

Did you get that from the Doom 2 strategy guide? :p

Dead Impse: imp shagged with a shotgun
Even Impser: multiple imps shagged with a rocket launcher
Impseyard: ridiculous numbers of imps shagged with the BFG 9000!
Odd Impse: imp shagged with a crushing floor
Impsebus: you don't want to know...

Gez said:

Wiki: the place where definitions that are actually useful and non-jokey should be.

True enough, but on a serious, non-jokey note, it would be nice if there were some kind of glossary of Doom and Doom-related terms somewhere. Especially one that makes sense of the language used by the Doom community (doomworld, zdoom forums, etc). All I've found so far was this.

Anyone up to writing these down in a comprehensible format? You'd need 1) basic pronunciation key, 2) clear definition, and 3) its usage in a sentence. Bonus points for a picture, GIF, or WAV that can provide a visual/auditory example.

schwerpunk said:

True enough, but on a serious, non-jokey note, it would be nice if there were some kind of glossary of Doom and Doom-related terms somewhere. Especially one that makes sense of the language used by the Doom community (doomworld, zdoom forums, etc). All I've found so far was this.

Also this.

Bullshit:
When the RNG is anything but random and keeps deciding that for any given session, you deserve nothing but full damage from every single attack in the fucking game.

schwerpunk said:

Anyone up to writing these down in a comprehensible format? You'd need 1) basic pronunciation key, 2) clear definition, and 3) its usage in a sentence. Bonus points for a picture, GIF, or WAV that can provide a visual/auditory example.

I seem to recall 40oz suggesting something along these lines sometime last year. I'm not sure how far he got with it, but I think the idea was to incorporate it into the wiki (I could be misremembering that part though).

TheMightyHeracross said:

Might
Noun: a thing that makes light when you feel mighty

K

MegaWad: A level replacement for all of the official levels.

joe-ilya said:

MegaWad: A level replacement for all of the official levels.

*BZZZT* Wrong definition!

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/levels/doom/

The 'megawads' directory contains files that contain a large
scale replacement of 15 or more levels, but which don't
qualify for the themes/ directory. DM-only megawads are in
the 'deathmatch/megawads' directory.

The only game for which a megawad is guaranteed to be a replacement of all levels is Chex Quest 3, since it has 15 levels in all.

joe-ilya said:

Ultimate Doom
Def: An official expansion pack for DOOM. (Am I right, Gez?)

Wrong again. Ultimate Doom is the retail version of Doom 1, as the full version of the original game was never available in stores and had to be ordered directly from id. Although it includes an extra episode, it can't be called an expansion pack as it does not require the original game to run, and those who do already have the original game needn't buy Ultimate Doom as well, as it's part of the 1.9 upgrade.

Joy: (noun) Killing two consecutive lost souls with two blasts from the single barrel shotty. (Not that I can ever recall doing this. Has anyone?)

Pistol: A compact handheld weapon used for approximately the first 8 seconds of any given Doom level. Also may be used for sniping, or as a last resort. Is only slightly outdone in terms of range, damage and accuracy by throwing handfuls of freshly ripped out nosehairs.

Slaughtermap: Any map on which using the chaingun becomes an exercise in futility, or at best, incredibly tedious.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Might
Noun: a thing that makes light when you feel mighty

Beautiful definition.

In the same vein:

Plasma (Noun): Something you cook with, usually now.

BFG
Noun

1. A device that is used when everything in front of you must cease to be in existence. Can also be used as a decorative tool if a room needs to be painted red.