Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Legality of using IWAD midi in different wad?

I know that things such as IWAD textures aren't to be distributed in a pwad, but what about midis? I've noticed doom midis in doom 2 many times and have always wondered if it's a legal grey area.

It is highly illegal, bordeline terrorism, sin against god and inhuman act.. but no one really cares.

I might be wrong but I think you are technically not allowed to transfer ressources from an existing IWAD in another existing IWAD (If that makes any sense).

For example, you are not allowed to transfer the super-shotgun from DOOM 2 to Ultimate Doom/Doom for your own pwad. If you want to use the super-shotgun in a UDoom Pwad, you must remake it from scratch.

By that logic, I suppose music abides by the same rules. However, I don't see any problem in transfering midi from DOOM 2 to a DOOM 2 pwad.
This is pretty much legal (according to the license).

However, technically, using DOOM 1 music for a DOOM 2 Pwad is "illegal" but as said above, nobody really pays attention to it and since the game is pretty old, not even ID cares. You aren't commiting a crime or anything (well at least not a huge one), I mean, it's not like you are putting an MP3 of a music that is protected by copyrights in your WAD. You are technically using the source material to make your pwad.

I thought crossed use of IWAD music is the same as textures. Not strictly legal but unlikely to be challenged in the community never mind by the legal eagles.

If it bothers you, using Plutonia to patch your map set to could be a solution as it mixed music from both Doom and Doom II, providing they're the tracks you want to use. Arguably you could use Evilution music in a Plutonia based IWAD without legal ramifications because they both belong in the same retail product if not the same IWAD.

purist said:

If it bothers you

Doesn't bother me, but since distributing the Odessa series was a no-go until recently due to the permissions in the text file, and other such things, I thought that, officially at least, it would be frowned on around here.

As long as you don't use MP3 rips, the idgames archive will accept any music you put.

Using resources from other games has never been ground for rejection. There's a ton of Doom II maps out there which use Heretic or Hexen music, for instance.

The_Trigger said:

You aren't commiting a crime or anything (well at least not a huge one), I mean, it's not like you are putting an MP3 of a music that is protected by copyrights in your WAD. You are technically using the source material to make your pwad.

Well, it's the same thing, that MIDI is copyrighted just like an MP3 is. The difference is that the MIDI is owned by id software, who doesn't give a hoot, whereas that MP3 might be owned by some sue-happy artist.