Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zed

Man gives away money... is he crazy?

Source: http://www.cronica.com.mx/notas/2014/809185.html

I couldn't find sources in English, so instead here's my poor attempt at a translation:

Jesús Armando Chan Cobá made a fuss in Mérida Municipal Palace after throwing several bills of various denominations from a balcony in the government's building.

According to sources from Mérida Municipal Police (PMM) the incident was registered past Thursday, in the commune's central building, located in 62 Street, between 61 and 63, where the individual went to the upper floor and started throwing away the bills.

Agents assigned to the municipal headquarters were alerted by the screaming of a nearby multitude, which started to dispute the money falling from the balcony.When they arrived, they found Jesús Armando Chan, approximately 30 years old and about 1.70 m (about 5'6").

Upon locating the man, they confirmed it was the man throwing the bills, of different denominations, (500, 200, 100 and 50 pesos), and was warned to stop doing it.

After several inquiries, it was informed that it was approximately 15,000 pesos (about US$1,300), and it came from his savings.

Jesús Armando Chan was taken by paramedics to Yucatan Psychiatric Hospital for further evaluations about his medical condition.

Now, I know this is not especially unusual, but the part that puzzles me is the one I made bold.

Do you consider this is a case of a crazy/insane person? Could you just start to give away money to strangers and expect to be taken to a mental institution? Is that logical?

PS: Sorry about the mediocre translation, if anything's not clear, please feel free to ask. Have a nice day.

It's an awfully small article, no pictures, eyewitness accounts or video or anything. There's probably some unsaid details that would indicate that there could be something wrong with him, like the way he walked or talked or whatever.

40oz said:

It's an awfully small article, no pictures, eyewitness accounts or video or anything. There's probably some unsaid details that would indicate that there could be something wrong with him, like the way he walked or talked or whatever.

I'll see if I can come up with something clearer, but as I understand from other articles I read, at first he refused to say anything (including his name, so that info may not be accurate), so that may give you a clue. But the thing is, a lot of people refuse to cooperate with the police, and they're not taken to the nearest mental institution. My question is, does someone that gives away money like that should be considered mentally ill? Is it the fact that he went up to the second/third floor of a government building and started throwing away his savings?

Bill Gates is giving away billions and few people seem to question his sanity, though I don't know if he's tried throwing fistfuls of dollars from an upper level balcony.

Yes, he is crazy. Money is the measure of a man's worth, it is his very soul. Giving money away without getting anything in return is a sin in the eyes of Our Lord Mammon.

If a guy throws his life savings in the street and sounds confused and incoherent, makes sense to me to make sure he's OK. Big difference from rich guy giving away money he can afford to part with.

If you see a random guy climbing a roof, hopefully you don't put him on the same level as a professional with adequate gear doing a stunt with a safety net, ideally you call for help rather than morbidly hope for him to break his neck.

He was obviously arrested for disrupting the economy, by making tax-free, undeclared donations. He should rot in debtor's prison for the rest of his days for doing such a villanous action. Had he killed another human being, it would have had less long-term repercussions.

The fiscal police should also hunt down any and all persons who have received the "donated" money, beat them senseless, and return the unduly appropriated sums to the State's coffers, where they rightfully belong.

Nah he was busted for possibly causing a deadly stampede of idiots. He was released uncharged when a stampede of idiots did not happen.