Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

Legality of NES music in a PWAD?

Invictius' post about IWAD midis got me thinking... Would it be against the rules of /idgames to have NES music that's been converted to MP3/WAV from the original NSF file in your PWAD?
Let's say that I'd want to use music from Skate Or Die 2 in a PWAD for Odamex. I'd find the original NSF songs and convert them to MP3/WAV with the possible edit of removing the intros so that they would loop smoothly in game.
I'm pretty sure /idgames would reject the WAD if the songs were in MP3, but what about WAV?

WAV is awful, it's uncompressed. In other words, it's acceptable for short sound clips (like a shotgun blast), but really not a good idea for a collection of 32 3-to-5-minute songs.

Use Ogg Vorbis if you don't want to use MP3.

Also, as long as the MP3s aren't rips from commercial album (like the entire Metallica discography for instance), MP3s are actually accepted on the archive.

NerdKoopa said:

Ah, that's good to know. So video game music from any non-album source is good to go?

Should be. I know wads that have several tracks from other games in them, whether they be OGG or MIDI or whatever.

You could also use mods. They have a quite small filesize and are suported by most source ports.
Here you can find tracks from various games and platforms like the NES.

Metallica MP3s would be most likely accepted as well, Ty doesn't really check the contents of the wads nowadays. I know quite a few wads on the archives that have commercial MP3s in them.

NES Music is fine I guess- it's not like record companies are making big ones off it :I

Some source ports actually support some native formats iirc

If the song is from a commercial album, but ripped from Guitar Hero (or other game) with vocals removed, it should be accepted on /idgames?

Guest Unregistered account

There's an 8-bit sound wad I found somewhere on /idgames. It's pretty funny but I can't remember if it had new music too or not. :/