Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

Obscure FPS games?

PowerSlave doesn't get enough love. And if you liked the old Total Recall, Chaser is a decent carbon-copy with some good action and gunplay.

I kind of like the Softdisk Catacombs trilogy. It's like an EGA Wolfenstein 3D (not too surprising, seeing as it's based on the engine used for Catacombs 3D, which was id Software-made). I like that you can blow up walls all over the dang place; the game's pretty basic/barebones and the level layouts are mazelike to the extreme, but just having something as small as shooting a wall and watching it explode in a fiery explosion is oddly very satisfying.

That said, last time I tried to play it (using the version I got off of GOG), some of the wall graphics wound up corrupting at a certain point, and then the game just kinda closed itself on me. Odd.

Clonehunter said:

PowerSlave doesn't get enough love.

Particularly the Saturn/PS1 game, which is practically a prototypical Metroid Prime. Just... one that plays more like an early '90s PC FPS. On consoles!

...the PC version being more a traditional romp, but oddly including a lives counter. Something you'd expect of a console game, but ironically the console versions have infinite lives, Doom-style (you just have to redo the level - hell, you don't even have to do a pistol start). Weird.

Clonehunter said:

Chaser is a decent carbon-copy with some good action and gunplay.

I heard Chaser was a flop, also the same developers for Chaser made Soldier of Fortune 3 Payback which uses a modified version of Chasers engine (CloakNT), I found it to be none other than a crappy CoD clone.

Exhumed aka powerslave on ps1 was fun to play but I still havent tried out the pc version which is almost completely diffrent game. Its hard to find bigbox version of the pc version

Canofbacon said:

What are some really obscure fps games you guys know about? I know of one, Country Justice: Revenge of the Rednecks, but I'm sure more exist.

Mobygames has screenshots of that disaster. No lighting to speak of and you can see through the trees. Oh my.

Is William Shatner's TekWar obscure or did the demo come on too many other discs? Most people who hear me mention it don't believe me at first. I'd give it a lower score than Moby Games did.

Chaser is worth playing for the drug-addled story alone. Picture the original Deus Ex, dead-pan delivery from the main voice actor and all, only ten times as cheesy and nonsensical (of course if you thought the first Deus Ex was serious business, you may not like Chaser).

Space Trader: Merchant Marine is based on the Quake3 engine and has you move from hub to hub (planets) to buy random stuff and sell it for ludicrous profits elsewhere; while also murdering people in arenas to take their money, because that's what traders do. Add to that a last chapter in which you're oppressed by a big, evil corporate bureaucracy and I'm sure some of you would find something to like there. :)

Alpha Prime is a linear sci-fi shooter in which you get to meet a ridiculously offensive depiction of an Italian guy (which I gleefully enjoy, in this day and age of political correctness everywhere in video games). You can kill yourself by picking up a basketball and throwing it on your head, or by throwing a grate through the vent conduit you're crawling in. You get to swing your hammer weapon as fast as you click. There's a hacking device which lets you take control of cameras through walls to see your enemies or explode various environment objects. Kind of a Doom3 feel visually, but no closet monsters. It's on sale currently for $1 on the Humble Weekly Sale.

I didn't know Exhumed/PowerSlave was considered obscure, but it's actually one of my favourite FPS -- the atmosphere, the music, the level layouts. Both console versions are astounding (and different -- the later PlayStation version plays like a 'remixed' version of the Saturn original).

Metroid Prime, which I played later on, became one of my favourite games ever, too. I guess I love that schtick. :)

Chaser is an adequate game. It has good story, good cutscenes, some nice special effects. Unfortunately, the levels in this game are often bland and/or repetitive.

It went downhill for Cauldron after that. Gene Troopers is barely playable, and Soldier of Fortune 3... I didn't play it, but I've heard that it's weak in both story and gameplay departments.

Phml said:

You can kill yourself by picking up a basketball and throwing it on your head, or by throwing a grate through the vent conduit you're crawling in.

They made thrown objects damaging with a patch, as far as I remember. Probably to make physics "useful". I've heard some players criticized the fact that it was a purely cosmetic feature.

I'd recommend Clive Barker's Undying, mainly for its story and atmosphere. That is if the OP is looking for all forgotten FPS games, not just rightfully forgotten.

Guest Unregistered account

There's a video I watched on Youtube once. It was about an island and being stranded on it. It was, apparently, shit.

Doom.

So old and forggoten, not that popular as it once was.

Seriously this: http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/

I think it is an awesome game, you practice your memory, motoric with mouse movements and even logic.

I have it somewhere on some CD. it has so many levels to play.

And yeah.. some of the puzzles are really obscure.. it is like doom maps with secrets that you have to find in order to finish the level.

~1000 levels, ~500 game objects, linux distributions and yeah and it is free to download on their webiste... I am going to give it a try again. They made some new version with more puzzles.

I gotta say, I really wonder what went through the head of Chaser's main VA when reciting those lines. Everyone else is fairly competent (Though the Gomez character is boringly monotone too), but somehow the main VA just didn't know ho to deliver. For example, take this bit of wonder:

KABIR: Ah! Mr. Chaser, I've been expecting to hear from you.
CHASER: I'VE got to GET to MAAARS.
KABIR: Okay!

Also, Chasm: The Rift is a personal favorite of mine, again, with horrible VAs. But decent action.

Powerslave is awesome! Wonder why it's not sold in store anymore.

Witchaven and its sequel.

Fortress of Dr. Radiaki.

Legend of the Seven Paladins, underrated game.

Lethal Tender, weird game.

Shadow Hog said:

...that's an FPS?

Well, it is first person, from above... and you shoot things.. with lazers.. sort of... I am just not into this FPS only discrimination :p
Also OP is Canofbacon, troll and makes trash pwads

Sokoro said:

Well, it is first person, from above... and you shoot things.. with lazers.. sort of... I am just not into this FPS only discrimination :p
Also OP is Canofbacon, troll and makes trash pwads

Is he a troll?? Why hasnt he been banned then?

Proto-FPS? I've always like Hostages for the C64 (I think there were other platforms). It was a game with multiple phases, and got more fun the further you played. The final mission involved hunting terrorists in an office building.