Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kapanyo

How the HELL did THIS happen? [SOLVED]

How the HELL did THIS happen?

Something happened to my Doom files. My computer didn't recognise them, and when I told it to open with a file, I chose Zandronum.

I have absoloutely no idea how this happened, but now whenever I try to open ANY kind of file, it opens Final Doom and asks me whether I want to play with Plutonia or Evilution. This includes Doom Builder 2 and Internet Explorer, and The only reason I'm able to write this is because it was open when this happened. Please tell me your ideas.

Joe667 said:

Something happened to my Doom files. My computer didn't recognise them, and when I told it to open with a file, I chose Zandronum.

I have absoloutely no idea how this happened, but now whenever I try to open ANY kind of file, it opens Final Doom and asks me whether I want to play with Plutonia or Evilution. This includes Doom Builder 2 and Internet Explorer, and The only reason I'm able to write this is because it was open when this happened. Please tell me your ideas.

You're not crazy and apparently this has happened to some other people. It's probably caused by an incorrect API invocation. What's crazy is that Windows isn't smart enough to stop it from happening.

I am afraid that you have no choice but to get into the Windows file association settings in Control Panel and manually restore every one of them to the program which is supposed to open that type. If your associations for things like .lnk are broken too, however, you're going to have quite a time.

If you have a backup or restore point, it would be easier to roll back to one of those. If you have your personal files backed up, or can get them backed up now, reinstalling your OS wouldn't be out of line in response to a system corruption of this magnitude.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I just tried opening Control Panel and that has the Zandro. icon and does the same thing. *Sigh*...

Your computer has suffered a miniature version of Doom 3. Enjoy Dooming your Control Panel!

Joe667 said:

I cannot explain why you did that. Say ten Hail Marys and use ZDoom in future. ;)

Quasar said:

You're not crazy and apparently this has happened to some other people. It's probably caused by an incorrect API invocation. What's crazy is that Windows isn't smart enough to stop it from happening.

More probably, it was caused by an entirely correct API invocation, but Windows isn't smart enough to apply it to the file the link points to, rather than to the link itself, the former being a) what the user probably expects to happen, and b) what actually happens in every OS that's smart enough to know how its own links work.

And least you didn't try to open a self-extracting zip file (which is actually an exe file) with WinZip (which works, incidentally), and accidentally make WinZip the default program for opening exe files, or set Notepad++ as the default program for editing batch files, which, as I found out the hard way, doesn't quite have the desired effect. Fuck Windows.