Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Varis Alpha

Doomguy Lost His iPod: A Doom II Music-Replacement WAD

i felt i'd try and get some more attention out of my music pack in this thread by making a thread of its own for it, mostly to (hopefully) get more critique on how good the tracks are and how well they compliment the levels themselves.

anywho, here's the WAD file itself: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hu4v8coewxm18x0/vyemus.zip it replaces every track in Doom 2 with music of my own, as well as including some bonus tracks in it that i considered could fit in the pack. the tracks in order are as follows:

----

D_RUNNIN: Rise. a fast-paced metal track to start up the action immediately.
D_STALKS: Untitled. slow-paced, gloomy track to fit the slow trudge through the underhalls.
D_COUNTD: Viscous Reception. also slow-paced, featuring gracious use of fading in and out instruments.
D_BETWEE: Untitled. busy, pretty simple track.
D_DOOM: At The Jester's Tent (Dusk Mix). slow, long, and somewhat orchestrated piece.
D_THE_DA: Oliver Arcane - Nightfall (Remix). slow guitar-based track, pretty quiet in volume.
D_SHAWN: Mutaland. fast-paced, aggressive metal to fit the slow, hectic chase through the Mancubus and Arach onslaught.
D_DDTBLU: Hydrant. Weird guitar-based track, as the original DDTBLU is quite a weird Doom track.
D_IN_CIT: The Fall of Galant. mid-tempo, somewhat progressive electronic track.
D_DEAD: Backlash. Guitar-track, slow at first, but slowly builds up into something more hectic, falls apart, then re-builds itself. pretty long.
D_ROMERO: Silky Feathers. pretty quiet electronic-styled track, meant to be some kind of psytrance originally but this can't be called psytrance in its current state. maybe ambient trance?`
D_SHAWN2 & 3: Ascension of Satan. progressive metal epic to keep the journey going.
D_MESSAG: Not A Clever Pony - For The New Lunar Republic (Remix). metal DNB-ish track, pretty long.
D_AMPIE: Serj Tankian - Blue (Remix). psychedelic metal track. it should fit way better on this slot than the death metal shit i used earlier.
D_ADRIAN: Memorical Subligations. panicky, eerie track.
D_TENSE: Assault on 849. probably one of the biggest deviations of mood from the original Doom 2 OST. fast-paced electronic hardcore track to cleanse out the evils of Hell with.
D_OPENIN: I Am Defect. mourning orchestra-style track to fit with the end of it all.
D_EVIL: Opel. an odd track is all i can describe it as.
D_ULTIMA: The Ex-Positioner. fast, dramatic metal, meant to be boss-style music.
D_READ_M: Child's Play. mysterious, unraveling track.
D_DM2TTL: At The Jester's Tent (INtro Mix). just an orchestra-ish intro track, nothing else to say about it.
D_DM2INT: Don't Forget Me. pop/punk rock track, meant to give a cheery "you survived!" kind of vibe.

----

here you can preview the whole pack minus bonus tracks.

D_RUNNIN
D_STALKS
D_COUNTD
D_BETWEE
D_DOOM
D_THE_DA
D_SHAWN
D_DDTBLU
D_IN_CIT
D_DEAD
D_ROMERO
D_SHAWN2 & 3
D_MESSAG
D_AMPIE
D_ADRIAN
D_TENSE
D_OPENIN (not the actual version! this is a soundfont render of the track!)
D_EVIL
D_ULTIMA
D_READ_M
D_DM2TTL
D_DM2INT

----

THE STORY SO FAR

ALTERNATIVE TIMELINE: While Doomguy was on his way to kick Hell's ass outta his home planet, it turns out that he lost his iPod filled with the entire soundtrack of Doom 2 while making his way mysteriously backwards in the timeline of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2! Oh no! Now the players have to play the entire game without being able to listen to Bobby Prince's 8-bar Slayer rip-off music! Unless...

TA-DAAAAA! Miraculously enough, Doomguy managed to find a ZEN player from the corpse of a deceased UAC-officer on the way back from travelling in time! Unfortunately, it doesn't contain any Bobby Prince, 8-bar Slayer music on it, but the entire soundtrack is actually from the future! How this UAC-officer managed to retrieve the music of some unknown, 21st century, backwards-musician from the National Gay Capital of Sweden is beyond me, and I AM from the National Gay Capital of Sweden! But who cares about the story to a music WAD, right? Onwards to the fray, and onto the future! (of an alternative timeline, less superior soundtracked Doom 2)

----
i'll make descriptions for the other bonus tracks in the album some other time. all tracks listed on the tracks that have repeats in the original game also repeats in this track, the only exception being D_SHAWN, which is a unique track.

so yeah, i think that's about it. tell me what you think about it and stuff!

Sounds good, I would suggest try and get every (or most) track(s) to have a unique tune (STALKS/DOOM/THEDA/etc) for the next version.

Doomhuntress said:

D_MESSAG: Not A Clever Pony - For The New Lunar Republic (Remix). metal DNB-ish track, pretty long.

And this is why you don't make music with ponies and shit in the title. I lost interest in dl'ing this WAD right away. Sooner or later, someone's gonna try and make a Barney metal soundpak. A MIDI orchestral version of "I Love You" while trying to Doom is very off-putting.

Congratulations on being hilariously judgemental over a name.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed Rise and Ascension of Satan from the Plutonia midi pack, nice to see Rise used here. I think I'll give this a go later

Revved said:

A MIDI orchestral version of "I Love You" while trying to Doom is very off-putting.

Have you at least bothered to listen to the track instead of judging it by name alone? (Guess what: it doesn't at all sound like "I Love You" or whatever.) In the same vein, you could diss the Doom II soundtrack because it has a song named "Bye Bye American Pie", named after a dumb movie.

I haven't listened to the tunes yet, Doomhuntress, but D_MESSAG sounds quite nice, with its half-forlorn, half-actiony feel. (for those too lazy to download, you can listen to it here.)

Revved said:

And this is why you don't make music with ponies and shit in the title. I lost interest in dl'ing this WAD right away. Sooner or later, someone's gonna try and make a Barney metal soundpak. A MIDI orchestral version of "I Love You" while trying to Doom is very off-putting.

i take it you've never listened to the original track, OR my remix of it, have you? because this sure sounds like it.

JudgeDeadd said:

a song named "Bye Bye American Pie", named after a dumb movie

hahahahahahaha
no

And yeah, Revved basically turns into an idiot/troll whenever he sees anything with a word "pony" in it.

Memfis said:

hahahahahahaha
no

Yeah I hope this is trolling because said dumb movie came out like five years after Doom II, and the song's title itself comes from "American Pie", a 1971 song about the American cultural shift between the 50s and to the end of the 60s

kmxexii said:

Yeah I hope this is trolling because said dumb movie came out like five years after Doom II, and the song's title itself comes from "American Pie", a 1971 song about the American cultural shift between the 50s and to the end of the 60s

Not trolling. I'm just as dumb as that movie it seems. :-( My apologies to Don McLean.

Hurricyclone said:

Was D_ROCK used in MAP26 of NOVA? I swear they both sound alike.

Some neat tracks BTW :).

i have no idea, as i have never played NOVA. furthermore, if it WAS in that particular slot, then it won't sound exactly the same, as D_ROCK in my WAD is an edited version (of Jimmy's MIDI rendition of Rock My Emotions); it has since been removed from the pack, though, as i don't feel comfortable having D_ROCK left in the pack (this has nothing to do with Jimmy but with the artist of the original song).

and thanks. :3 i'd also like to ask to keep the conversation away from the original post by Revved, and instead focus on the pack itself. i'd really like to get opinions from other musicians from the content of it, specifically, but any kind of critique now would be welcome!

One musician to get critique from would be Jimmy91.

Also, D_STALKS/2/3 seems a little too short IMO.

kmxexii said:

no it comes from a story about a plane where the first rock stars ever died in a plane crash like 3 entire rock stars all at once
must of sucked

Doomhuntress said:

i have no idea, as i have never played NOVA. furthermore, if it WAS in that particular slot, then it won't sound exactly the same, as D_ROCK in my WAD is an edited version (of Jimmy's MIDI rendition of Rock My Emotions); it has since been removed from the pack, though, as i don't feel comfortable having D_ROCK left in the pack (this has nothing to do with Jimmy but with the artist of the original song).

Oh, okay, reason of asking was because I'm in charge of the NOVA textfiles, trying to get music credits, and I'm wondering who composed the MIDI for joe-ilya's map and noticed a similarity between that track there on MAP26 and the D_ROCK here. He probably used Jimmy's MIDI though, will check that one out :).

D_AMPIE has been replaced with an infinitely better track, a remix/cover of Serj Tankian's Blue. the original D_AMPIE replacement is now in the pack as D_METAL. also, the pack is now in a zip, with a simple textfile containing the story i posted earlier on here.

i also modified D_UNTITL in the pack: it's now called D_AFFECT (Unmistakable Affection), and composition wise it's the same, but it now has proper stereo-effects in it. i may have done other tweaks to the pack offhand that i can't think of, too.

Doomhuntress said:
D_STALKS: Untitled. slow-paced, gloomy track to fit the slow trudge through the underhalls.

This is my favorite, especially under OPL2. I like the strange or outwordly mood.

D_DOOM: At The Jester's Tent (Dusk Mix). slow, long, and somewhat orchestrated piece.

It may be the jester at work but this is the only one that doesn't work in vanilla. That happens to some bigger or more complex pieces because the old MUS format has a 64 KB file size limit (which generally translates to somewhat more than 64 KB in MIDI). Source ports will play it, though.