Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Inferno Intermission map

So I always was fascinated with the Inferno Intermission pic. Particularly the Spiky mound thing that you never go to in one of the maps and the big Plateau/Canyon in the upper left. I would wonder what was in those places and if ID made maps for them and just left them out of the official game for some reason.

What are some fascinations you've had?

I wouldn't say I'm "fascinated" by it, but I'm curious as to why id software gave massive gaping orifices to the Imp, Cacodemon and Pain Elemental. Some kind of inside joke?

I think all the monsters have gaping orifices (how do you suppose they go to the bathroom?), you just can't see most of them from the fixed angles. You only see the Imp's orifice because he doesn't have the decency to cover his shame with his own intestines like the Hell's nobles, and you can only see the Cacodemon and Pain Elemental's orifices because they don't have buttocks, presumably since that would impede the flow of propellent gases, in addition to looking creepy on a monster without legs.

Cacodemons look like the heads of Astral Dreadnoughts, I wonder if the holes are actually neck attachments or something.

Avoozl said:

Cacodemons look like the heads of Astral Dreadnoughts, I wonder if the holes are actually neck attachments or something.

Maybe it's where their tentacles come out of?

From the Inferno Intermission pic to Astral Dreadnoughts in 6 posts. I love this forum.

Well, I didn't even chime in into this thread until now, and other people spontaneously started writing about Doom monsters' orifices as their primary preoccupation.

BaronOfStuff said:

This. This has fascinated me since the first time I saw it on E2M8 all those years ago.

I read somewhere that the purpose of that texture (which appears first in E2M8?) is to hint to the player that something even stronger than a Baron exists, and that it can reduce several Barons to disemboweled, amputated, hanging corpses at will (notice how its abdomen wounds look like they were done by a rocket's penetrator).

Maes said:

Well, I didn't even chime in into this thread until now, and other people spontaneously started writing about Doom monsters' orifices as their primary preoccupation.

I read somewhere that the purpose of that texture (which appears first in E2M8?) is to hint to the player that something even stronger than a Baron exists, and that it can reduce several Barons to disemboweled, amputated, hanging corpses at will (notice how its abdomen wounds look like they were done by a rocket's penetrator).

I really love how id used to add hidden messages in their games.
Oh and Maes do you by chance remember where you heard about that?

Maes said:

Actually, it first appears in E2M9, in the Cacodemon room. That plus the dead Cacodemons in the Baron room are a hint as to how to beat the level without using up all your ammo. I'm not sure if the texture is used anywhere other than those two maps.

Piper Maru said:

Why do Barons and Cacodemons hate each other so much anyways?

One side thought that the hats should be blue, while the other side thought that the hats should be red. In reality both sides were wrong as the hats should be green.

Foxpup said:

Actually, it first appears in E2M9, in the Cacodemon room. That plus the dead Cacodemons in the Baron room are a hint as to how to beat the level without using up all your ammo. I'm not sure if the texture is used anywhere other than those two maps.

Probably not, although seeing it first in a secret level doesn't "count", as most people wouldn't normally take that route anyway. Even if they do, however, it will just puzzle them more until they see what it's really about ;-)

Both E2M8 and E2M9 have baron textures and those maps are towers. So E2M9 is a preceding/lost/scrapped Tower of Babel?

ASD said:

Both E2M8 and E2M9 have baron textures and those maps are towers. So E2M9 is a preceding/lost/scrapped Tower of Babel?

I often thought that IDs intention was to set up a gimmicky Cyberdemon vs Barons infighting (with the cyber in the middle), hence that weird layout. That many Barons have a slim chance of killing a cyber if they corner/surround it effectively (they sometimes win in e.g. Tricks & Traps in Doom II), but maybe it would be a too WTF moment...

Doominator2 said:

On the Deimos intermission screen after each level you beat you can see the tower of babel being constructed bit by bit

Really? I never, ever noticed this (assuming it's true). Can someone create an animated GIF verifying this statement?

Job said:

Really? I never, ever noticed this (assuming it's true). Can someone create an animated GIF verifying this statement?

Avoozl said:

Amazing, thank you. It's embarrassing I've played Doom as much as I have and never even noticed that. Of course, I probably spent more time in E1 and E2.

If the player does find the secret map, it takes them a little longer, though. Perhaps the labourers are called upon to deal with the situation? I blame the Union.

Avoozl said:

[/img]

I always thought there was something funny in Tower. Never took real look in the intermission screen.

DaniJ said:

If the player does find the secret map, it takes them a little longer, though. Perhaps the labourers are called upon to deal with the situation? I blame the Union.

Nah, they made Fortress of Mystery in that while. Made of cardboard, since it disappears quickly.

Shareware commercial screens looked fascinating back in the day when I didn't own full game, also the death animations of monsters have always fascinated me.

Guest Unregistered account

The thing that fascinated me the most was E1M8: Phobos Anomaly... the whole of it. Even as an 11 year-old, I could tell it was set up for a boss fight... perfectly. The sorrowful voices in the music, the super-long hallway before the final fight with the Barons. The awesome cries of the Barons.

And when you manage to beat them, you just see the walls lower. To reveal a desolate landscape of rock.

And then, after you've trekked this far... you die. I never thought that was a cheap ending, I thought it was deep.

I also noticed how there were only about two dead bodies/decorations throughout the whole thing... as though this was the point where NO one got further.

Amazeballs.

Joe667 said:

The thing that fascinated me the most was E1M8: Phobos Anomaly... the whole of it. Even as an 11 year-old, I could tell it was set up for a boss fight... perfectly. The sorrowful voices in the music, the super-long hallway before the final fight with the Barons. The awesome cries of the Barons.

And when you manage to beat them, you just see the walls lower. To reveal a desolate landscape of rock.

And then, after you've trekked this far... you die. I never thought that was a cheap ending, I thought it was deep.

I also noticed how there were only about two dead bodies/decorations throughout the whole thing... as though this was the point where NO one got further.

Amazeballs.

Listening to the music as the stairs rose and the barons were dead used to scare me a bit, like the music is calm yet powerful as your descending to the shores of hell.

Maes said:

The dead barons are definitely a form of foreboding ("those guys were the bosses in the previous episode!"). One way or another they're there to make the Cyberdemon seem scarier: it's fun to imagine that maybe they were lieutenants that failed their master, kind of like how dictators are often known to carry out bloody purges of their underlings who have fallen from grace.

All these little details, the atmosphere and foreboding imagery are one of the main reasons why I prefer Doom 1 over 2. Doom 2 for the most part just felt like a bunch of levels, whereas Doom 1 felt like a journey.

There's people who do pixel art similar to that, the current free King's Quest remakes have such beautiful pixel art.

Luke Dacote said:

All these little details, the atmosphere and foreboding imagery are one of the main reasons why I prefer Doom 1 over 2. Doom 2 for the most part just felt like a bunch of levels, whereas Doom 1 felt like a journey.

Couldn't agree more.

fraggle said:

The dead barons are definitely a form of foreboding ("those guys were the bosses in the previous episode!"). One way or another they're there to make the Cyberdemon seem scarier: it's fun to imagine that maybe they were lieutenants that failed their master, kind of like how dictators are often known to carry out bloody purges of their underlings who have fallen from grace.

exactly. that was the first thing i noticed while looking around in that central room, and the effect was exactly what id had probably anticipated: holy shit, who did that. so i went out, and 2 seconds later... splat.

Luke Dacote said:

again, true. sure, doom2 has a bit of a story, first third is the corrupted base, second third the world turned hellish and the last third is hell itself or some weird place... but perhaps, 32 maps in a row are a bit tiring without that rewarding feeling of having made it through a full episode? especially when those episodes are clearly different in style. i wished ultimated doom expanded this adventure to 5 or 6 episodes (as wolf3d had) in the manner later seen in quake, where each episode gives you some artifact needed to get to the final boss.