Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

If Doom was released today...

If Doom was released today do you think it would be as successful? Or would only a few people know about it and it would just fade away?

It would be really sloppy, outdated, and... unoriginal, I suppose. Still fun of course but easily disposable.

It would certainly be unnoticed. You gotta do something very original to go anywhere with graphics like that nowadays.

If it were released as a retro indie game intended to be in the vain of Wolfenstein, ROTT and Duke 3D, surely it would be appreciated for its nostalgic value. But yeah, I think a lot of people would think it was really ugly, since the maps are typically non-representational, and the dithering, while beautifully grimey in that classic VGA sort of way, would look hideous to today's kids. It would probably be seen as cute, and then quickly forgotten.

How would present day gaming even look if Doom hadn't been originally released? Would Doom 2 have simply been called "Doom?" if so, then we'd all be pretty happy to receive such a faithful sequel!

heh yeah, if Doom was released today, fans would be frustrated that it was just that old game Doom II with less monsters and guns...

It would probably be a 'cookie-cutter' shooter with an over abundance of cutscenes and scripted events, as well as telling you exactly where to go. All that but with a hell/demon skin.

Hmm, depends on what you mean.
If Doom as we know it was released today, it would either:
-Be seen as a cool throwback-style FPS like Gloomy Dungeons or Gun Commando
or
-Graphics whores would diss it and it'd be obscure
If Doom was released today in modern style, it'd either be:
-Halo-like with regenerating shields, reloading, weapon melee, and rather linear gameplay. Wouldn't be that bad of a game though.
-COD-like where there are 20 shotgun and pistol reskins, only two weapons at a time in the inventory, a story involving Soviets sending demons to the UAC base, the plasma rifle and BFG weapons being easter egg weapons on an "Invastion" game mode map, too many cutscenes, regenerating health, and some multiplayer rank system that requires you to play about 16 hours per day to actually get new things. not that great of a game.

It would see mild success, like some of the good indie games of today, but without the modding community, there's no way it'd be as successful as we now know it.

William Blazkowicz said:

It would probably be a 'cookie-cutter' shooter with an over abundance of cutscenes and scripted events, as well as telling you exactly where to go. All that but with a hell/demon skin.

Like that Call of Dooty series of Doom WADs.

Easily answered: try showing some of your Doom-ignorant friends any modern source port (preferably one with software rendering), in any gamemode you see fit (incl. multiplayer online ones), without hinting at it being "that Doom" and see how they react.

The mapping community would be much smaller.

I'm not sure, but it seems that creating content for modern games is far more difficult/time consuming than using, for example, Doom Builder. Is that correct?

I'm sorry to keep banging on about the same thing, but Aubrey Hodges' soundtrack would certainly cause interest. That man is the fething maestro or horror.

I think that as soon as people started playing Death match on Doom, or fought against two hundred monsters in a single room, Doom would get huge attention. Modern shooters are so heavily scripted they play the same way every time, their campaigns last 6 hours and you only get 3-5 baddies on you at once.

At the end of the day, I doubt many people cared about Doom's advancements, they fucking loved the gameplay and its music.

If the game was released today as a throwback to old school shooters it would be no different than it is today, a game loved by retro gamers.

If we wanted doom to get mainstream success and sell like call of duty does, DOOM would be unrecognizable. Every step you take is scripted, you heal just by hiding behind a corner, lack of variety or creativity in guns, ect.

I can't imagine MP (which is what people really buy CoD for, let's not kid ourselves) would be much better, with killstreaks now giving perks and prestige and game-ending nukes and stuff.

I can see in my mind nerdy neckbearded indie developerdude speaking to camera how they wanted to revive old schoold shooter scene by going back to basics and then he tells how they removed all the unnecessary things from it blablabla

Zed said:

The mapping community would be much smaller.

I'm not sure, but it seems that creating content for modern games is far more difficult/time consuming than using, for example, Doom Builder. Is that correct?

That explains the lack of Doom 3 wads/mods.