Magic-Walker

MWDoom Episode 1 Released

Download
idgames
MagicWalker.nl

Info
MWDoomE1 is a nine level episode for doom2, its made for (G)zdoom
and also works with Zandronum. I made some final adjustments with
good feedback from the doomworld forums.
onwards to episode 2!

For more info and screens visit
MagicWalker.nl

Maps
Mw1M1 - Tharsis Anomaly
Mw1M2 - Cocytus
Mw1M3 - Acheron
Mw1M4 - Thalanis
Mw1M5 - Phlegethon
Mw1M6 - Hybris
Mw1M7 - Thanatos
Mw1M8 - Khaos
Mw1M9 - Return to the hangar

Screens
http://magicwalker.nl/wpimages/1eac0fc52d5e.jpg
http://magicwalker.nl/wpimages/6b44a4ad6a9f.jpg
http://magicwalker.nl/wpimages/65264a4b8d6e.jpg
http://magicwalker.nl/wpimages/28dbedfac00a.jpg
http://magicwalker.nl/wpimages/9bd54a67c369.jpg
http://magicwalker.nl/wpimages/38268cfac5aa.jpg
http://magicwalker.nl/wpimages/e0b7ae26cb0b.jpg
http://magicwalker.nl/wpimages/ea2109a9f561.jpg
http://magicwalker.nl/wpimages/4a56c762cb98.jpg

Made it to the first arch-vile fight in map 3 and I'm just screaming for a super shotgun! There's probably one hidden in a pesky secret somewhere. What I've played so far is really gorgeous though. Some really surprising monster setpieces that made me actually yelp in astonishment. Great work! I'll probably keep bashing away at this one, so I'll post more updates as I go through the rest of the mapset.

Few notes when I played through some maps (I need to finish this one some point):
Very high amount of hitscan enemies, especially in Map 4 (Thalanis) starts getting on my nerves. Also, Map 2 (Cocytus) Red key ambush was just horrible. Minimum (or no) cover, and 100% enemies are hitscans... Took few tries to clear that out.

As for looks of the maps, it is looking pretty good so far.

Have some video exposure:

I played through the entire mapset and I loved it. Some of the hell themed levels took me off guard, like dealing with the Arch-Vile and the last map which was plain awesome as I had to keep moving to live.

After watching the cool Mr. Chris video, I had to play Map01. Superb! I really like your aesthetic sense and the fact that Map01 isn't super-easy. I died 3 times at the blue key trap, which was the toughest part of the map for me, playing on UV, continuous, keyboard-only with frequent save/reload. The red key trap was quite easy by comparison, and the entry into that area allowed for door-camping, so it was possibly the weakest part of the map.

Considering that these are your first maps, I have to commend you on taking the time to become expert in various areas of mapping, such as changing level names, having the screenshot slideshow at the start, scripting the shift to darkness and the timing of lowering floors at the blue key trap, transfer lighting, and so on. Really amazing work that any vet would be proud of. And on top of that, the map itself is well-constructed and fun to play, the most important thing of all. I look forward to playing the rest.

thank you all for your comments, glad u like it.
ill try to learn as much as i can from your comments.
hopefully episode 2 will go faster!

This looked interesting, so I downloaded it and had a play. Have a few things to say about it so here's the condensed version of it. :P

Things I liked:

• Oh, cool, a TITLEMAP. Been a while since I saw one of those. :D
  • It's a ZDoom mapset with less emphasis on ZDoomisms (like jumping and crouching, which are completely disallowed here) than a lot of similar mapsets. You don't see that very often. :)
  • Architecture and gameplay setups in a lot of places are very interesting. I particularly like the way Hell pops out of nowhere in the first key room in M1. :P
  • Actually wasn't sure if this was Doom 1 or Doom 2 until I encountered the revenants. (Which is silly because I met chaingunners before that point for certain. And then the TITLEMAP features Doom2 textures out the wazoo anyway.)
  • Very appropriate music choices. Sometimes the original Doom soundtrack is all you need. :)
  • The animated computer textures are a really cool and subtle touch.
  • Can't fault the balance. Monster placement and weapon progression are absolutely spot-on. Chainsaw is perfect in M3.
  • Barrel traps are excellent. Love the one on M2 - oh hey, newly-opened monster closet? NOPE. :P
  • Skyboxes look good and aren't intrusive on the gameplay or aesthetics at all.
  • By the same token, the outdoor shots you can view through the transparent windows add a really nice touch to the maps.
  • Good use of space and openness. The maps didn't often feel all that claustrophobic, and particularly the later maps felt really wide open and maneuvrable.
  • There sure are some neat texture combinations here. NUKAGE and STONE4 have to be one my favorites.
  • I barely noticed there were any new textures at all. They blend in really well and do their jobs very nicely.
  • M4 - Friggin' chaingunners as the primary enemy? You bastard. xP
  • M6 - Cool crate-hopping "maze". :D
  • M7 - YES! Perfect barrel trap for the archvile you meet in the hallway.
Things I didn't:
  • While the maps looked good for the most part, they didn't play all that great. The paths are entirely linear, and gameplay felt a bit dull and repetitive after not very long at all, sorry. M2 was a prime example of this.
  • All the maps feel very corridor-heavy and the architecture is nearly all rectangular or octagonal. As much of a fan of this kind of architecture as I am, it did begin to feel very formulaic after a good while.
  • Perhaps an over-reliance on monster closets and key traps.
  • Still a few ZDoomisms here and there - all doors have the same speed, for instance (32, from the looks of it - remember slow doors are 16 and fast ones are 64).
  • There's a little too much border-detailing going on. Almost entirely too much, actually. It's not totally necessary to border every wall with tiny strips of CEIL5_1 or CEIL5_2. Looks kind of icky and makes player movement very "juddery" as you're constantly walking over raised floor.
  • Having all the maps have Hell-based names and some of them being techbases (like Cocytus) feels a little... off. I guess it's not a huge deal, though.
  • Jumping from base to Hell and back again is a little strange, and I'm personally not a fan of it, but I will say that it's not done very often, so credit where it's due for originality and an unorthodox theme progression. :)
  • Sometimes the copy-paste is painfully obvious. Try to keep that to an absolute minimum.
  • Exploration is not frequently rewarded. For example, that huge lava pit in M7 (which is accessible via a staircase) has nothing in it.
  • M2 - this map having almost exactly the same aesthetic theme as M1 was a little bit jarring, though I guess this isn't exactly a terrible crime. A change was welcome by the time M3 and M4 came along.
  • M3 - the secret exit wasn't exactly the hardest to find. I found those torches and before long I was essentially guided to the exit by the map. Again, linearity is unfortunately a problem with these maps as a whole.
  • M4 - be careful of redundant keys. I picked up the yellow card and was guided almost immediately to a yellow card door.
  • M4 - "acces granted" - should be "access".
  • M4 - solid color lights? Not a fan, sorry.
  • M4 - how am I able to use that switch behind glass and why is the door it opens upper-unpegged o_O.
  • M5 - The cave segments were a welcome change-up from all the orthogonal stuff in the bases and M3, but they still look better when they're completely freeform shapes, not built out of rectangular segments made jagged.
  • M5 - SUPPORT3 is one of my favorite textures. Why did you flip it upside-down. Nyyehhhhhh.
  • M6 - the square GRAY texture on curved walls looks ewwwww.
  • M8 - bit of a let-down, I'm afraid. Didn't find it terribly interesting. And uh, the spelling and grammar of the final text screen - you might want to work on that.
Overall, pretty solid! Sorry that I came up with way more gripes than praises. I did enjoy this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook up for Episode 2. I hope that my advice/criticism is helpful for you.

Cheers. ;)

hey jimmy, thanks alot for the comments.
i get what u dislike about the maps, its something i will work on
in the future. there's alot to be learned but with all the comments
i got, its alot easier to learn. Cause in the end playing your own
maps will make u blind to some things.

Sorry for necro-posting, but if you try to play this in new GZdoom 4.5.0, it will crash because of a syntax error in the MAPINFO lump. Since the original author doesn't visit here anymore, I fixed it myself and I'm attaching the fixed lump below. You need to replace it in the mod's PK3 file.

MW mapinfo fix.zip