Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Caverns of Darkness Impressions?

Well, since the engine discussion landed the news post in the dreaded Post Hell area, here's a new forum thread in which to dicuss impressions of CoD (if you are one of the (apparently) 8 people who are able to play it). The Crew and I do have P:AR to complete, so any feedback about what people liked or didn't like in CoD will be appreciated and help make P:AR that much better.

Just for the record, P:AR was made for MBF but has been tested with ZDoom b33 and runs well enough (there are certain effects that do not work, such as the firing cannon on level 9, but nothing that renders the .WAD unplayable).

Other than that -- comments?

I'd play this with Zdoom (considering that if my computer even side glances at the port made for it, my computer resets ;_; ), but thats like playing the origional doom levels with Quake 2. Sure, you can do it, but whats the point if you haven't played the real thing. I'll wait till I can play it properly before I play it any other way. :)

Although I might play it without monsters in Zdoom to look at the pritty levels. ^_^

I'd like to say, though, that it's good to see a release of anything, as current projects are 'RL in way', 'I can't be bothered', or even 'I've worked on this for ever, but I decided to leave like an ass and waste my time on some newer, less perfected game. Oh, and I'm gonna keep what I made too :P', and the ever popular '...' right after removing their entire website and posting a pic of 'soon'. :)

I forgot what I was gonna say, or I said it and don't remember, so I'll go look at the levels, but I'll wait till I can play it fully. :) Pat your selves on the back, you've already done something that others couldn't do, release the project you were working at! :) Good job.

Lutz said:

Well, since the engine discussion landed the news post in the dreaded Post Hell area

It's been fixed.

(Also you'll notice AndrewB lost his moderator status in the process.)

Lutz said:

(if you are one of the (apparently) 8 people who are able to play it).

Unfortunately, I am one of the crowd who can't run your engine, however I did load the WAD in ZDoom and it appeared to work decently (I just tested the first 4 maps real quick).

You know I'm flooded with Millennium stuff ATM but I'll get comments eventually (and probably a review on Team Insanity, once I bring that page back to life.)

Lüt said:

(and probably a review on Team Insanity, once I bring that page back to life.)

YAY!

Lutz said:

Well, since the engine discussion landed the news post in the dreaded Post Hell area, here's a new forum thread in which to dicuss impressions of CoD (if you are one of the (apparently) 8 people who are able to play it).

I got the engine to work, but like everything else Boom-based, Allegro renders the sound unplayable, so I had to play it silently =(

The Crew and I do have P:AR to complete, so any feedback about what people liked or didn't like in CoD will be appreciated and help make P:AR that much better.

P:AR was better than COD, IMO. I guess I like the realistic base style better. Plus I thought P:AR made better use of effects and shit.

Just for the record, P:AR was made for MBF but has been tested with ZDoom b33 and runs well enough (there are certain effects that do not work, such as the firing cannon on level 9, but nothing that renders the .WAD unplayable).

??? I played the E1M1-E1M4 beta of P:AR on ZDoom, and it randomly crashes throughout the first three levels, and it does the same every time E1M4 is run, period.

Lüt said:

It's been fixed.

(Also you'll notice AndrewB lost his moderator status in the process.)

Eek, does this mean no more newstuff?

Archvile64 said:

Eek, does this mean no more newstuff?

There hasn't been /newstuff chronicles for 2 weeks now.

Archvile64 said:
??? I played the E1M1-E1M4 beta of P:AR on ZDoom, and it randomly crashes throughout the first three levels, and it does the same every time E1M4 is run, period. [/B]

E1M4 had an error that has since been corrected (thanks to Nick Baker). And surprisingly, I haven't been able to make P:AR crash ZDoom b33 in a long time; I guess I'll just have to try harder. So, for what it's worth, ZDb33 seems to be able to handle P:AR, but again, there are certain effects that you are not going to see if you use ZDoom.

First up, I'd like to say that CoD is pretty cool. I enjoyed it. Except for the fact that the sound screws up on my SB Live!, and this question I'm about to ask:

Is too much detail a Bad Thing(TM)?

Heh, I'd imagine that I'd get flamed a bit just for that little line there...
Anyway, I'd like to discuss why I think that too much detail in Doom maps can be a bad thing. I'd like to bring forward MAP10 as an example. I, and I'd imagine like most other people who have played that map, was amazed with the level of detail in that map. It looked damned sexy for a Doom map. The first half of the map played at an acceptable framerate. Stepping through the teleporter to the final cavern, however, was something that completely ruined the experience for me. The final cavern looked damned sexy too, but the framerate was crap. Add to that the monsters that teleport in and the framerate goes downhill even further. Somebody could probably point out that turning around to a place where there isn't as much detail will improve the framerates, but with monsters spawning and racing towards you it's hard to stand still in one spot and face in the same direction. Not only that, but a player shouldn't have to worry about which way to face to have a good framerate in a map. I'm running a Celeron 500mhz with 320mb ram. I know there are a number of people with lesser machines than mine in this community, so I'd hate to think of how it runs on their machine. If you ask me, in the case of CoD's MAP10, too much detail is a Bad Thing(TM) because it broke the playability factor of that map.

I used to get terrible sound with all Allegro ports on my SB Live, but one came with a slightly different version of the Allegro setup (can't work out which one ATM). Anyway, using it, I was able to configure things so that they sound OK. The only problem is they are a bit quiet.

I got CoD to sound fine by just copying my eternity cfg file into the CoD directory.

I think these are the relevant entries from the cfg:

[-1-7(-1)] code used by Allegro to select sounds driver, -1 is autodetect
sound_card 5

[-1-9(-1)] code used by Allegro to select music driver, -1 is autodetect
music_card 1

[0-1(0)] precache sounds at startup
s_precache 0

Try it, it might work.

GooberMan said:

The final cavern looked damned sexy too, but the framerate was crap.

That's your own crappy PC's fault.

Imagine how slow it would go in Q3A or something of that nature.

magikal said:

On the same subject has anyone had any luck with SBLive & PrBoom or MBF?

Nope. In fact, my stupid SBLive wont even work in any DOS games at all. The DOS driver is not configured properly, and I have no idea how to configure it (it needs a 'Vendor ID' or something, don't ask me why, cos I dunno).

[bitch]Stupid cheaparse bastards who put the card in didn't do a good job at all. I get crackling in Windows sound in games (sometimes), and the CD Audio does not work at all. Never getting 'Megasis Computers' to put anything in this thing ever again... (they also screwed up my video card when they first put it in, so we had to take it back, and also, when my dad went to get his computer upgraded, they stole all his old parts, including his sound card which he wanted to keep)[/bitch]

The following work for me.

Eternity is just the same as posted above. MBF and Boom have music_card set to -1 for some reason but also seem to work with 1 as with CoD above. The PRBoom settings are just the default ones (ie, I didn't change anything).

MBF, Boom:

[-1-7(-1)] code used by Allegro to select sounds driver, -1 is autodetect
sound_card 5

[-1-9(-1)] code used by Allegro to select music driver, -1 is autodetect
music_card -1

[0-1(1)] 1 enables voice detection prior to calling install sound
detect_voices 1

PRBoom:

# Sound settings
sound_card -1
music_card -1
pitched_sounds 0
samplerate 22050
sfx_volume 15
music_volume 15
mus_pause_opt 2
sounddev "/dev/dsp"
snd_channels 8

Slayer: everyone have that problem. but only in PURE DOS.

The same thing as with COD with the sound, goes for all boom based ports. MBF SMMU and ETERNITY etc