Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plums

Death-exits in vanilla Hexen?

In vanilla Hexen, is it possible to force a player to start a level from "pistol start", or whatever you'd call it for Hexen? All my tests say 'no' so far. With good timing I was able to get a player to die after hitting an exit switch so that I started the next level with 0 health and couldn't get hurt, which was interesting, but not quite the same thing.

Even the level warp cheat code visitxx doesn't give you a fresh start :(

One assumes that Raven decided that having to restart a whole hub when you die was bad.

Of course Hexen isn't Doom. However being able to force a player into having a fresh start (or even giving them the option) would be a useful tool at times. Seems like it's not doable outside of ZDoom though.

In Vanilla Hexen, the only option when you die is to restart a map with the equipment you entered it with. That is what Raven decided and the Iwad hubs were balanced around that (i.e weapon pickups are not present on every hub).

Of course one could also be misinterpreting what you mean by fresh start; Hexen has some extra factors versus Doom?

Hexen was designed to offer a nearly RPG-esque approach to progression, where your character accumulates weapons and items to become more and more powerful. It just lacks something like an XP system to increase character traits.

Nothing in Hexen's game design was created with the idea of having short, disconnected levels that can be pistol-started. Raven went full-steam ahead in the opposite direction, with sprawling hubs and levels that have to be revisited and a massive, ever-growing inventory. That's what I meant with "Hexen is not Doom" -- if you want Doom-like gameplay, you're fighting against the game's fundamental design assumptions.

If you want a fresh start, you make a new and separate set of levels; kind of like Deathkings is to the original Hexen.