Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AD_79

How do I create 3D floors?

What the subject says. Despite the fact that I read the ZDoom wiki's page on 3D floors, I still find it confusing. Could anyone help me out here?

Basic idea is:

• You have a sector in which you want to have a 3D floor. Give that sector a tag.
  • Outside of playbable map geometry, you make a control sector. It's just a simple sector, nothing fancy. A triangle will suffice.
  • Use the Sector_Set3dFloor special on one of the linedefs of the control sector. Use for "tag" the tag you gave to the sector in which you want the 3D floor to appear. For "type", use 1. Leave flags to 0 for now. Set "alpha" to 255.
  • The control sector's floor will be the reference used for the 3D floor's lower plane (the lower ceiling), the control sector's ceiling will be the reference for the 3D floor's upper plane (the upper floor), and the linedef with the Sector_Set3dFloor special will be the reference for texturing the 3D floor's sides.
  • So change the texturing and floor/ceiling heights in the control sector according to how you wish the 3D floor to look. Make sure the control sector's floor is above the tagged sector's floor, and the control sector's ceiling is below the tagged sector's ceiling, and of course the control's sector's ceiling is above its own floor.

They're actually pretty much the same as Doom Legacy's floors, so you probably still could - assuming I leave anything out in this post.

Okay, 3D Floor 101:

1. Create the desired shape of the 3D floor in the area you want it to show up. (Make sure it's its own sector. I mean, that kind of goes without saying, but just to be sure, it shouldn't be the same sector as the surrounding sectors, or some kind of self-referencing shenanigan - just a perfectly normal sector.) This will be your "target sector".
  2. Outside of the map, in the void, create a new, small sector; the shape doesn't really matter, but a triangle or a square would suffice. Consider this your "control sector". (Technically you could put this anywhere inside the map you felt like, but it's best to put it somewhere the player's guaranteed to never see it.)
  3. In the control sector, set the ceiling height and texture to correspond with the top of the desired 3D floor - the part you'll walk on. This can be any height, but for one you can actually walk atop, this value should be below the ceiling of the target sector's.
  4. In the control sector, set the floor height and texture to correspond with the bottom of the desired 3D floor - the part you'll walk underneath. Again, any height, but for one you can actually walk below, this value should be above the floor of the target sector's. (Also, now's as good as any a time to mention that the control sector should have positive height overall; no ceiling-below-floor antics here.)
  5. Assign one linedef of the control sector a special of 160: Sector_Set3dFloor. Make sure the texture matches the texture you desire to see on the 3D floor anywhere it's not covered up by other level geometry.
  6. Set the "tag" parameter of the control sector's linedef special to a new, presumably unused number; set the tag of the target sector to match. (Nothing you haven't done before when making a crossing-linedef-triggered lift or door, really.)
  7. Set the "type" parameter of the control sector's linedef to 1. That's your bog-standard solid 3D floor. You can experiment with others later.
  8. Set "alpha" to 255; else your 3D floor will be totally invisible. (You can set it to any value in between for transparent 3D floors, but let's keep this simple.)
  9. Tada, you now have a true room-over-room scenario in your map.

Alright, thanks for the help. I was a little confused at the "action special" part until I realized that I wasn't using the correct map format...