Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

ptoing said:

First off, gotta say I fucking love Crispy Doom. My #1 choice for vanilla and limrem stuff.

Thank you very much, I am feeling flattered!

• The ceiling height change lines on the map are VERY close in colour to the solid ones, very hard to make out at a glance, and should probably be tweaked.
  • The map colours are not very well suited for overlay mode in most cases, since they are rather midtone colours and get easily lost.
  • Maybe have a way to switch to classic map colours in the crispness options.

• Yes, I agree that the current choice of Automap colors is not optimal. But I had to choose a darker shade of red for solid walls in order to make them easy to distinguish from red-keyes doors. Also, the palette-based screen scaling algorithm which is currently used leads to further bleaching of the colors. At least the latter issue will become much better with the hardware-based scaling used in the sdl2-branch.

However, adding an option to switch between Automap colors is out of the question. I will have to find better defaults.

• Since you are removing smaller bugs like the "ouch face" one and similar things, I think maybe removing the bullet puffs not showing in outside areas bug would be cool, since that is a purely visual thing that should also not cause sync issues (I would hope)

• Oh, yes, it does. Bullet puffs are map things and the number of map things in each sector is highly demo-critical. That's why it took such a hassle to implement the projected crosshair, since I couldn't just render another map thing with a cross sprite.

• It would be nice if you could go through the sections of the crispness menu by using the page down and page up keys.

• Hm, ok, I'll consider it.

Keep up the good work :)

I'll try, thanks again!

Ah, the thing with the bulletpuffs makes sense I guess. Maybe you could make it an option that gets turned off when recording demos? If that is asked too much, no big deal, since it is just a small visual thing.

Speaking of visual, if you ever want to implement a custom minimal hud (that looks less hacky than the current implementation), let me know, I'd be up for making a nice design/custom pixelart for it.

ptoing said:

Ah, the thing with the bulletpuffs makes sense I guess. Maybe you could make it an option that gets turned off when recording demos? If that is asked too much, no big deal, since it is just a small visual thing.

I have done this in the past, but have generally moved away from features that would need to have a protecting check applied (an exception are features which affect level progression). Such invasive features either have to be big enough to justify a switch in the Crispness menu or it should be possible to implement them in a non-sync-critical way. As I currently see it, the outside bullet puffs are neither of both, sorry.

Speaking of visual, if you ever want to implement a custom minimal hud (that looks less hacky than the current implementation), let me know, I'd be up for making a nice design/custom pixelart for it.

Thanks for the offer, but I am not going to make Crispy Doom depend on external resources. Everything in Crispy must be available from within Doom itself. This is why the current Crispy HUD is (for me) the most natural choice for a HUD beyond the Vanilla status bar.

But if you are looking for a source port which might benefit from this, I know that bradharding is currently working on a more Doom2016-like HUD for Domm Retro. Maybe you would like to ask him?

Does Cripsy Doom support metadata loop tags for digital music packs? If so I'd love to add it as another alternative for the list of fully compatible source ports for my music packs on my website.

It should have the same exact music replacement system that Chocolate Doom has. Unlike Chocolate Doom, you can also put non midi/mus music files in wads and it will recognize them.

Loading the music with -file or in a wad does not seem to support loops.

Loading the music with the same config replacement as Chocolate Doom should support the loop metadata, but as with Chocolate Doom, doesn't work on Windows yet (probably, I have not tested it).

I think so, but I haven't tried on Windows because I assumed it wouldn't work at all. I'll try it in both Windows and Linux over the weekend to be sure.

Update 11 Jun 2016: Crispy Doom 3.4 is released!

Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatibile with the original.

Crispy Doom 3.4 is another bug-fix release with only few new features.

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
    http://fabiangreffrath.github.io/crispy-doom

The Crispy Doom source code is available at GitHub:
    https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
    http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom_3.4.zip
    http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom-music-pack_2.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

The automap is so pink! Will take a bit of getting used to but it is certainly more visible. I haven't downloaded a nightly build in a while so I am enjoying these few new changes.

Removed map objects may now finish playing their sounds. When a map object is removed from the map by P_RemoveMobj(), instead of stopping its sounds, its coordinates are transfered to a "sound object" so stereo positioning and distance calculations continue to work even after the corresponding map object has already disappeared. Thanks to Megamur for requesting and jeff-d and kb1 for discussing this feature and especially jeff-d for the original implementation idea.

Is it possible for this to be optional? I prefer the vanilla style of handling object sounds, myself.

mason1729 said:

Is it possible for this to be optional? I prefer the vanilla style of handling object sounds, myself.

As far as I am aware, the vanilla behavior is to continue the sound, but to leave an invalid pointer behind. Some source ports solved this by stopping the sound. This new method leaves the sound playing and substitutes a valid pointer for the invalid one.

ptoing said:

I think maybe removing the bullet puffs not showing in outside areas bug would be cool

Achievement unlocked! ;)

Hello,

I found a couple of visual glitches on e1m8b.wad. None of these are present in Doom Retro:

These are also present in Chocolate, but maybe that's correct.

Thank you

There are also some black dots on almost all stairs (this is e1m5), at least on low-res mode:

vesperas said:

Hello,

I found a couple of visual glitches on e1m8b.wad. None of these are present in Doom Retro:

These are tutti frutti, a known vanilla Doom bug that choco preserves on purpose. I suppose crispy could fix it if Fabian wanted to.

Hm, Tutti Frutti is supposed to be fixed since at least v1.5. Vesperas, could you please check again of the glitches persist once you switch to "High Resolution" mode?

What OS is this? Looks like some pre-XP Windows. I wouldn't be surprised if such an ancient system isn't supported by MSYS2/Mingw-W64 anymore (which is what I use to build the Win32 binaries). :/

Yeah, that'd be Windows 98. You might try your luck with KernelEx, but in general don't expect it to work.

Didn't both Windows 95 and NT 4.0 have an update that gave that interface? Also, big difference between 98 and 98 SE

They did, but the web folder theme for 95/NT4 is distinctly different from that of 98 (which looks identical between the two versions). Windows 2000 and Me also share a common theme, but the default fonts would be a give-away to differentiate between them.

For what it's worth, KernelEx works:

This only works with Chocolate/Crispy with SDL 1.x. an SDL2 build of Chocolate Doom still fails because of a missing export of KERNEL32.DLL:AttachConsole. That might be something KernelEx could accommodate in the future, but it appears development is dead and unlikely to be expanded.

Hi, found a bug for you:
    1. Start a game. E1M1 and MAP01 both work.
    2. Breeze thru the level.
    3. On the intermission screen, start a new game again.
    4. The newly started level should still be playing the intermission music.

If it matters, I use Win7 + Crispy 3.4.

Hi!

I just discover Crispy Doom, is amazing!

some questions I have (sorry my english)

1 - Is possible to disable the "fadeout" effect when menu appears?

2 - Is possible to have SETUP and ENDSCREEN in fullscreen? like real doom in DOS

3 - How to restore the orioginal doom "loading screen" that is pressent in chocoloate doom? Im talking about the original doom text doom screen with the loading dots

In case is not possible to do, i want to moddify the sourcecode.. any advice how to compile in windows+mingw? i dont find ta configure/makefile in source (github)

Thanks a lot for great work