Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

2 hours ago, fabian said:

I have posted a rather recent built back then in November. Will try to post something new by tomorrow:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/67168-crispy-doom-51-update-jan-13-2018/?page=25&tab=comments#comment-1815697

Thanks Fabian, that would be awesome!

11 hours ago, VGA said:

I think proper scaling came with the move to SDL2, so ... you will have to hope that something will come from this

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/issues/240

Yeah I recall sdl2 brought many improvements to the beta chocdoom, hopefully heretic will benefit from it!

hey i just started using crispy doom and i am also having the issue with black bars: crispydoom.png

i was able to make them a little smaller as you can see, but is there a way i can remove them all the way and have the game fit the whole screen?

Not quite so, it's mostly issue #204 in Crispy Doom tracker. Formally, it's extremely easy to "fill" whole screen with game window, but the problem is - not everything easy as expected. In very short words: there are too many graphical elements and technical specifics, which are "binded" to original 320:200 (or even Crispy 640:400) resolution, like status bar, menu elements and many rendering-related things.

Thus, there are a lot of aspects that's should be accounted to make game window friendly with any resolution and more of that - with any aspect ratio.

It appears Crispy Doom is quickly winning me over for my vanilla port of choice. It's got just enough modern convenience without sacrificing anything integral to the original experience. Sure no Boom compatibility, but I'm sure the extended limits still permits support for most if not all limit removing vanilla maps? Plus, handy to have automap stats so I know what to expect on a new level or how far I've progressed at any given time, something Doom Retro unfortunately lacks due to author preference (but I respect his wishes).

In fullscreen mode, 16:10 aspect ratio is not enforced when aspect ratio correction is disabled, the game is scaled to the entire screen area instead, contributed to Choco by chungy. For those who prefer 16:10 or other specific aspect ratio, the screen dimensions can be explicitly defined in crispy-doom.cfg (variables fullscreen_width and fullscreen_height)

It would be more correct to set 16:10 pixel perfect aspect ratio for "Force correct aspect ratio" option instead 4:3 aspect.

No music? I just noticed that music doesn't play back at all (using Adlib OPL3 for playback).

E: I also tried configuring the path for Timidity to read the soundfont as a test and still nothing. My folder is located under C:\, so I wonder is Win10 just being retarded?

Edited by cyan0s1s

I have noticed a few times that when a monster dies with a flipped sprite and is subsequently resurrected by an arch-vile, it will (sometimes?) move strangely, appearing to be moving backwards. Or is that just their movement being mirrored?

I just downloaded the latest build of Crispy Doom, and am having the same "cartoon sounds" as MAJ. Mine doesn't matter if I'm using my speaker or headphones. I also don't hear any music.

This is on a 2017 Alienware 17 R4. My audio card is a RealTek ALC3266 with the latest driver set. I'm also on the latest version of Windows 10.

I did try lower my sampling rate but that didn't help at all.

Edited by synic : spelling.

When I played Scientist 2 I noticed some of the sound effects were not reproducing, these were DSPLASMA, DSRLAUNC, DSFIRXPL, and I'm probably missing another one. However, when testing with ZDoom and PrBoom+ complevel 2 they did reproduce those sounds. I cannot load the wad on Chocolate Doom unfortunately, it sends me this error: "R_InitSprites: Sprite SGN2 frame A has multip rot=0 lump".

Anyway, I played the wad with Crispy Doom 4.2, but I also tested in 5.1 and the issue is still there. Could it be port related? 

Hm, is it possible that the added sound effects are in a compressed format, e.g. MP3?

1 hour ago, fabian said:

Hm, is it possible that the added sound effects are in a compressed format, e.g. MP3?

No, the sound samples merely fail the following test:

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/blob/41936632e02a6bbf6a4a291afcf296995908830e/src/i_sdlsound.c#L731

Edit: Scientist 2 is even explicitly mentioned in the commit introducing this check:

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/commit/aa1286383efc26ee3bd558f5e12c64299931bdb4

4 hours ago, marver0PS said:

I can't get the gus emulator to work under Crispy doom 5.1. I tried with chocolate doom 3.0.0 and it worked.

Does it work if you remove or rename crispy-midiproc.exe?

15 hours ago, fabian said:

Does it work if you remove or rename crispy-midiproc.exe?

It works fine now, thanks.

47 minutes ago, marver0PS said:

It works fine now, thanks.

This file is pure poison...

21 hours ago, marver0PS said:

I can't get the gus emulator to work under Crispy doom 5.1. I tried with chocolate doom 3.0.0 and it worked.

This doesn't make any sense.  Does your Chocolate Doom have chocolate-midiproc?

4 hours ago, AlexMax said:

This doesn't make any sense.  Does your Chocolate Doom have chocolate-midiproc?

Yes, but it doesn't appear to execute.

On 04.05.2018 at 12:14 AM, fabian said:

This file is pure poison...

I guess this file is the cause of an incorrect sound balance in Crispy Doom. I mean SFX and music volume level, when both has value 8 - the music is louder than SFX and this bothers me. So I need to set SFX volume level to value 12. When I delete this file, I just can't set a volume level and SFX volume stay the same. However, in Chocolate Doom it's all ok with balance, even with chocolate-midiproc.exe file. If you compare sound balance in Choco and Crispy at value 8 of Music and SFX volume level, you notice the difference - in Choco you can clearly hear pickup sounds and more louder weapon sound. I hope you solve this problem.

P.S. It would be great if settings app will have an option, which disable crispness menu in game and bring back the original look of in-game settings menu.

P.P.S I try to play Crispy Doom with Russian Doom 2.6 wad-files and I get a partial translation with random letters in notifications and some menus. How to fix it? Examples: [1] [2] [3]

MAJ, there is no way to fix it at the moment, because all Russian text strings are "hardcoded" into executable, as well as Russian alphabetic chars are using replaced English STCFN font numbers. I have some plans to transfer strings into something like DEHACKED/LANGUAGE lump to bring some nominal English backwards compatibility, but even after this, using a translation PWAD in other ports with non-Doom specific strings (i.e. port-specific) will not fix this case and probably left some strings as untranslated or unreadable abracadabra.

In other words: it's very easy to make a simple translation PWAD compatible with other ports, but there is no way to make it looking perfectly proper with all the ports, especially with ports which are using other than standard Doom texts.

17 hours ago, MAJ said:

I hope you solve this problem.

The midiproc executable is supposed to be the fix for this. However, apparently it works much more reliably for Choco than it does for Crispy, although the surrounding low-level code is identical. Maybe it is due to the fact that Choco and Crispy releases ship different versions of the SDL libraries (I use MSYS2 with current library releases for my Win32 builds, whereas Choco uses a somewhat outdated environment), but I cannot tell for sure.

17 hours ago, MAJ said:

P.S. It would be great if settings app will have an option, which disable crispness menu in game and bring back the original look of in-game settings menu.

You want me to add an option to hide all the other options?

17 hours ago, MAJ said:

P.P.S I try to play Crispy Doom with Russian Doom 2.6 wad-files and I get a partial translation with random letters in notifications and some menus. How to fix it? Examples: [1] [2] [3]

As @Julian Nechaevsky already stated, don't do this, it is not supposed to work this way.

I know your main priority is Doom here, but could you please add kill/item/secret counters to Crispy Heretic's automap? It's a small thing that'd make all the difference for me.

Julian Nechaevskyfabian, thanks for answers. I hope you can add correct translation from Russian Doom.

3 hours ago, fabian said:

You want me to add an option to hide all the other options?

I want this. :3 So Crispness menu in settings app should be enable again and there must be an option wich disable or enable in-game Crispness menu.

P.S. And also would be great to add aspect ratio choice in settings app. Full screen option better be move to Advanced menu instead Force correct aspect ratio option.

Edited by MAJ