Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

For some reason my screenshots aren't being saved in Crispy Doom (and Heretic). They used to be saved in the same folder as the exe but now there's no screenshots. It still says "SCREEN SHOT" in game when I press the key though.

Update: It only fails when I mark the "save as PNG" option. PCX screenshots do work.

Edited by unerxai

12 hours ago, unerxai said:

Update: It only fails when I mark the "save as PNG" option. PCX screenshots do work.

Hm, I need some more information, please. Which build are you using, which libraries are you using, which system are you running this on? Do others experience the same? 

2 hours ago, fabian said:

Hm, I need some more information, please. Which build are you using, which libraries are you using, which system are you running this on? Do others experience the same? 

Cripsy Doom 5.9.2 on Windows 10 64-bit. No idea about libraries, sorry.

So I just tried it on another computer and it works there. Same Crispy Doom version and OS. Weird. I guess something got messed up on my system with a software I installed or something. Oh well, PCX screenshots are fine anyway.

3 hours ago, T.Will said:

Would UMAPINFO support be considered if it was rewritten in C?

Sure, why not? Why would it have to get rewritten in C?

1 hour ago, fabian said:

Sure, why not? Why would it have to get rewritten in C?

I just read from another forum. Though it's two years old, and I probably misinterpreted it.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:47 PM, Jon said:

The existing UMAPINFO implementation is written in C++. Prboom+ and Crispy Doom are C projects, so adopting UMAPINFO means changing the implementation language of the project.

I have considered rewriting Graf's prboom+ UMAPINFO port into pure C but haven't (nor realistically the time)

12 hours ago, T.Will said:

I just read from another forum. Though it's two years old, and I probably misinterpreted it.

Prboom+ itself is coded in plain C, so I don't see why this would be a problem. 

16 hours ago, fabian said:

Prboom+ itself is coded in plain C, so I don't see why this would be a problem. 

I see. Still, cool to see UMAPINFO be considered.

Edited by T.Will

Is there any progress on controller support working, yet ?

It's such a shame not to have it, and vital for those of us that use a controller as Crispy is the best source port there is when it comes to the classic wads.

I wouldn't know the first thing about compiling, and don't have the time to invest into doing so.

I appreciate the work others put into it for me to enjoy, but doing it myself is not an option.

@fabian Just so you know:

Will you add auto-detection for Heretic, Hexen 1, and Deathkings' GOG releases? I assume the various Dooms' GOG releases already do...

On 12/20/2020 at 1:56 PM, braders1986 said:

I wouldn't know the first thing about compiling, and don't have the time to invest into doing so.

I appreciate the work others put into it for me to enjoy, but doing it myself is not an option.

If you use Linux, it is as easy as just typing in a few commands. I could help you if you are a Linux guy.

8 hours ago, Commodore Forever! said:

If you use Linux, it is as easy as just typing in a few commands. I could help you if you are a Linux guy.

Appreciated, but I wouldn't know. DOS then Windows exclusively. Never have tried a Linux OS.

I'll wait, and hope it eventually gets put back in.

2 hours ago, chungy said:

If SDL is indeed the problem, I've just built these with SDL 2.0.12. Controller seems to work (though I only tested in Wine):

https://chungy.keybase.pub/crispy-doom/crispy-doom-5.10.0-win32.zip

https://chungy.keybase.pub/crispy-doom/crispy-heretic-5.10.0-win32.zip

Wow. This works. only partially on my end, but I can now use my controller :)

I can finally set the thumbstick axis, then use DS4windows to set the other buttons manually as the triggers and a few others don't seem to register.

You also have the border edging fixed in your build. That's a great little fix. How did you do that ?

SDL 2.0.12 is the exact version we use for the Choco/Crispy auto-builds. So, I'd be interested in how you fixed this as well. 

I didn't really do anything special. Just running Arch Linux with all the appropriate mingw-w64-* packages installed.

@chungy How did you get the border edging to show ?
This was bugging me for so long lol. Glad it is restored, anyhow. Always hated the abrupt cut off. It blends much better now.

That's weird. For me, if I download and use the latest build, it is still broken. Could it be something to do with Chungy compiling with the latest SDL, since that fixed both of the issues.

But you said the joystick only works partially. With SDL 2.0.8 they work fine, check with RUDE if you want.

4 hours ago, drfrag said:

But you said the joystick only works partially. With SDL 2.0.8 they work fine, check with RUDE if you want.

I much prefer Crispy. It's perfect.

Controller is working now. I'm happy as Larry.

19 minutes ago, braders1986 said:

github. 

Then that's your problem. :)

Github /releases page has official approved/etc versions - latest being 5.9.2.

As Fabian explained, the graphical bug was fixed in the development and will be in next release (5.9.3, 5.10.0, whatever it'll turn out to be named).

The "latest.chocolate-doom.org" link has development builds - every night, it takes the current development code from Github and compiles it.

Because they include work-in-progress stuff, depending on the day they may not work well, but otherwise they're a way to preview stuff fixed/changed before next official release.

Chungy made a development build for you with different libraries - so it also included the graphics fix.

Test with the official devbuild instead of Chungy's to compare if it works there too?

@wrkq Never crossed my mind to look within the Chocolate Doom page, even with it being a fork.

Now I know where to keep track of new builds. Thanks :)

Yep, fix is indeed present.

11 hours ago, braders1986 said:

I much prefer Crispy. It's perfect.

That's completely irrelevant to solve the joystick issue. I wonder if this is a windows only problem.