Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

24 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Okay ty! So that means if I want to see the tally screen I have to record a new demo? And so should I replace "record/playdemo" with "demoextend", or use both?

Yeah a new demo is needed, sorry. Use both.

What does that command do? Btw I don't play with mouse at the moment, only keyboard.

In Heretic (and Hexen and Doom 1.2) when recording a demo, you'll turn to the left slower than you're meant to, and to the right faster than you're meant to. This affects even keyboard turning, though the impact might be small enough that you won't notice. -shortticfix is a Chocolate/Crispy switch that makes your turning speed normal.

Edited by plums

Two questions about Crispy Heretic's potential future:

If widescreen is ever implemented, would the port be able to take advantage of Revenant100's patch? Or would it have its own workaround with that?

For something potentially more near in the future, with the RAVEN MIDI Pack project gaining a lot of traction over the past few months, would it be possible to incorporate support for that when it's done? Might be useful for any limit-removing level pack made for Heretic that wants unique music for each level too. I know the episode 4 exclusive midis in Deathless for instance worked fine in Crispy Doom without MUSINFO.

2 hours ago, Dwars said:

If widescreen is ever implemented, would the port be able to take advantage of Revenant100's patch? Or would it have its own workaround with that?

Widescreen patches should automatically get supported I think; they work fine in Crispy Doom if you make one for it.

2 hours ago, Dwars said:

For something potentially more near in the future, with the RAVEN MIDI Pack project gaining a lot of traction over the past few months, would it be possible to incorporate support for that when it's done?

This should be super easy to do, someone just needs to do it.

7 hours ago, plums said:

This should be super easy to do, someone just needs to do it.

I'm someone! This change is now in git and will be available in the next Crispy release, or now if you compile it yourself.

@Dwars BTW if you can it's best to use the GitHub issue tracker for requests, even small ones. Sometimes someone will feel like working on something right away (like now), buy other times when ideas get posted here they can get lost. (I'm sure there are a few in here that I meant to try but forgot about...)

Edit:

This post can be deleted please. Problem solved. :)

Edited by aB1s : This post can be deleted please. Problem solved.

I have been experiencing lag-spikes with Crispy Doom, I downloaded it from http://latest.chocolate-doom.org/ and I have the uncapped framerate option turned on. I was able to 'fix' this issue by re-installing CD and restarting my laptop, but I'd still like to know, what could cause this.

Sounds like a problem related to your system. Maybe the drivers.

Yep, if it worked after a simple re-install it's likely an issue on your end.

I was wondering, what is used to achieve the 'smooth pixel scaling' option in Crispy Doom? Is it OpenGL, or something else?

"Smooth Pixel Scaling" means that the game's 640x400 framebuffer is first scaled up to an intermediate texture whose dimensions are the first integer multiple of 640x400 that exceed your screen's (or window's) resolution by means of pixel multiplying, i.e. without interpolation. The picture is then scaled down from this intermediate texture to your screen using linear interpolation. If you have this feature disabled, the game's framebuffer is scaled up to your screen's dimensions by mere pixel multiplication, without using the intermediate rendering step at all.

All this is achieved using only SDL2 API. What happens in the background, i.e. what techniques it uses to scale from one texture to the other etc., is decided by SDL2 itself. This could be DirectX on Windows and Vulkan or OpenGL on Linux and whoknowswhat on Mac. The nice thing about hardware abstraction APIs is that you don't actually have to care about all this at all as long as it works. :D

Anyways, I have a suggestion for a new feature. It would be nice, if you could enable the transparency only for the hud and keep everything else, like messages, chat etc. non-transparent. I don't want to push you into anything, this is just something, that I thought of.

Hey, just a quick question. My music in Ultimate Doom sounds different on this update than it did in the last one, while Doom 2 is still perfectly fine. Also, on Doom 2 I can see where I had saved the game, but opening Ultimate Doom doesn't show those. Both of my WADs are in the same folder. Am I just dumb or do I need to do something new? Thanks, and love the port!!

On 8/19/2020 at 9:36 AM, fabian said:

Update Aug 19, 2020: Crispy Doom 5.9.0 is released!

I'm unable to run Sigil after updating from 5.8.0 to 5.9.0 on Manjaro Linux. Didn't have this problem before updating, and both Ultimate Doom, Doom II and both Final Doom WADs run just fine.

Output from the terminal here:

Crispy Doom 5.9.0
Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon. 
zone memory: 0x7f993984f010, 32 MiB allocated for zone
Using /home/kenneth/.local/share/crispy-doom/ for configuration and saves
V_Init: allocate screens.
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
saving config in /home/kenneth/.local/share/crispy-doom/default.cfg
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding ./.iwads/SIGIL_v1_21.wad
Unknown or invalid IWAD file.

My Crispy install is from AUR/git.

My apologies if this post does not belong here. I am new to the site and was saddened by my sudden inability to continue my game of Sigil. I figured it might be in the interest of the developers if this is a broader issue that affects other users and WADs, and that this would be the place to reach them.

@KennethDK what's the command line you're using to run it? This works fine for me, with doom.wad in my DOOMWADDIR path:

crispy-doom -iwad doom.wad -file SIGIL_v1_21.wad

@plums This worked, thanks.
For reference, I just used the Ultimate Doom WAD before, Sigil showed up in the New Game menu by itself. Didn't realize there were other parameters required.

@KennethDK

You're right, it should just autoload Sigil when you use doom.wad. Try renaming Sigil so it's all lowercase, e.g. sigil_v1_21.wad

9 minutes ago, plums said:

@KennethDK

Try renaming Sigil so it's all lowercase, e.g. sigil_v1_21.wad

Makes no difference, Sigil still doesn't show up.
But at least now I can play some Sigil again. Thanks again, mate.

Edited by KennethDK : Adding arguments

10 hours ago, KennethDK said:

adding ./.iwads/SIGIL_v1_21.wad
Unknown or invalid IWAD file.

These lines bother me. They should read something like this:

adding doom.wad
 [Sigil] adding .\SIGIL_V1_21.WAD
  loaded 0 DEHACKED lumps from PWAD files.

@chungy Works perfect now. Cheers!

1 hour ago, fabian said:

These lines bother me. They should read something like this:

adding doom.wad
 [Sigil] adding .\SIGIL_V1_21.WAD
  loaded 0 DEHACKED lumps from PWAD files.

And they do now after the fix. Thanks for the quick response guys, much appreciated!

This is the best doom port

But when I open a shortcut with -record parameter the sounds not works but when I pause the game the sound returns.

I have gus emulated music, I tested with opl3 and all the other options and nothing happens.

On 8/29/2020 at 1:04 AM, kokrean said:

This is the best doom port

Thank you!

On 8/29/2020 at 1:04 AM, kokrean said:

But when I open a shortcut with -record parameter the sounds not works but when I pause the game the sound returns.

This sounds strange. Does it only happen if you use the -record parameter or also if you just use -warp? What if you start the game from the menu? Have others also experienced this?

I'm really sorry if this is already in thread or elsewhere. I've spent a couple hours searching and experimenting this morning and don't want to waste any more time so I'll just ask:

How do I get the .ogg files from http://sc55.duke4.net/ to work with TNT.WAD? If I have the crispy config open up the music folder and throw the doom or doom2 .ogg's in there, they play fine in their respective iwads. The TNT files are named the same as doom2 files, so I tried putting them elsewhere and realized crispy setup doesn't have a box for music files path below the one where i had my timidity.cfg path. Anyway, If i just put the TNT .ogg's in the music pack folder like I had the other ones (overwriting the doom2 recordings) then they files play in doom2, but not TNT. I really don't want to have to play these in gzdoom :p. I've also tried putting them into the autoload folder for TNT.

If there's a way to play them from a directory more local to my doom install, that would be great. Like D:\doom\musicpacks\tnt etc. Thanks if anyone can help.

Edit: I also want to add that this is my favorite Doom port because of one reason: All the stuff that alters vanilla behaviour/looks is color-coded in the crispness menu, so I know without having to remember a bunch of settings that I can just make sure everything is greyed out and running how I want. Please never change this :)

Edited by RottingZombie

@RottingZombie IIRC the instructions for the music packs are a little out of date, but I don't know what the "correct" procedure is for getting them to work.

As a workaround, you should be able to put them into the TNT autoload folder but give them the extension .lmp instead of .ogg (A double extension of .ogg.lmp is fine.) Or package them all up in a wad using SLADE and put that in the autoload folder instead.

Edited by plums

@fabian It only happens when I open a crispy-doom.exe shortcut or bat with -record parameter within, but the game sound returns pausing the game at least 1 time.

With the 5.9.0 version, teleports seem different now. Like you come out of it and sometimes drop like you were in the air, or sometimes the flames look different or not there. Hard to explain.