Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

So this is my first post here. I recently downloaded the most recent binary build and it seems to be completely broken. I can start up the set up executable but as soon as I press launch, I keep getting missing .dll errors. First error was the lack of zlib1.dll. I tried fixing it manually but that didn't work at all. I tried installing directx and everything, and nothing worked. I initially thought it was a problem with my computer, so I tried downloading the binary on another machine and that didn't work either. The weirdest part is that I tried downloading it again a couple of hours later, and suddenly the zlib1.dll file was there. However, I still get missing .dll errors for other files. I've tried downloading the 5.7 version and, while it still works, the sound is completely broken. Pretty much the only builds that work for me are 5.5 and older. Is this a problem with my computer?

1 hour ago, versificator said:

Downloaded 5.7.2 from the link on the github page, but I'm also getting Windows Defender threat alert

ApplicationFrameHost_2020-04-03_15-28-19.png

Strange, this is the one I built, not the auto-builder...

I really suspect the threat alerts have something to do with the build environment. My (64-bit) version that I'm building in Visual Studio 2019 doesn't cause any Windows Defender alerts and zero detections on VirusTotal. If anyone would like to try it out here's the link: http://www.xenocrash.com/crispy_doom_latest_x64.zip

There's also a little bonus in there for Heretic fans:

Spoiler

My uncapped framerate version of crispy-heretic.exe

Gredge, you're probably on to something. I didn't get any of the warnings with your build.

(also, thanks so much for the little bonus!)

@Gredge There seems to be no midiproc executable in your x64 package. I tried to use the one from Doomretro x64, but music won't work with it. Also crispy doom music pack only exists in x32 form, I presume?

19 hours ago, MadDoomerJP said:

So this is my first post here. I recently downloaded the most recent binary build and it seems to be completely broken. I can start up the set up executable but as soon as I press launch, I keep getting missing .dll errors. First error was the lack of zlib1.dll. I tried fixing it manually but that didn't work at all. I tried installing directx and everything, and nothing worked. I initially thought it was a problem with my computer, so I tried downloading the binary on another machine and that didn't work either. The weirdest part is that I tried downloading it again a couple of hours later, and suddenly the zlib1.dll file was there. However, I still get missing .dll errors for other files. I've tried downloading the 5.7 version and, while it still works, the sound is completely broken. Pretty much the only builds that work for me are 5.5 and older. Is this a problem with my computer?

I tried adding zlib1.dll file only and it worked for Win7, but not for win10, and yesterbay I uploaded my build in full, with DLLs I built instead of those from the autobuilder. Feel free to re-download, sorry for the inconvenience :)

image.png.49c4908e762e5c2b4307d90494cbdfc9.png 

I'm having the same issues with the AV.

Windows Defender in my system reports the latest Crispy Doom build (5.7.2) at a threat.

It was built from a batch file, or has a batch file built-in?

On 4/3/2020 at 6:41 PM, DerTodIstEinDandy said:

You can still use timidity to fix music without midiproc. However, there is one in the x64 version of Doomretro, I wonder how was that achieved.

Since I realized I didn't have a great idea of how all the music systems work I did a little testing with the various options. The main thing I realized is that I'm a dummy and crispy-midiproc.exe just didn't exist because I hadn't built it (it builds and works fine on x64 of course). With midiproc built the midi playback works the same way it does with the official builds (i.e., adjusting the music volume changes the volume of the midiproc process). I also tested the Roland SC-55 OGG music packs and they work fine.

My updated version is at the same location as the previous version: http://www.xenocrash.com/crispy_doom_latest_x64.zip

Just reporting that a while back (I think it was in december, or early january...) I tried to build Crispy Doom from source on Linux Xubuntu 16.04 (xenial) but there are only dependencies targeted at newer versions (19.04, 19.10... not for xenial) I tried manually installing packages one by one, but eventually came around to an error on the compiler itself, apparently some function in the source code is not available in the version I had available to install on 16.04 and I had to give up after that. Could not really play Crispy (or Chocolate) on Wine because Midi playback doesn't work properly (I think there were some issues with sound effects too, or maybe issues with switching to fullscreen, I tried so many ports that I don't remember which issues happened on which port...)

Anyway: can't build my native linux version (unless xenial packages are provided or unless someone provides the AppImage which comes with all dependencies in the package if I recall correctly) and can't play Wine version because music doesn't work.

I feel like Midi has become such a hassle that I would recommend maybe one solution would be including the Prboom/LZdoom portions of the code specific to music playback, they are shipping with their own self-contained Midi synthesizer instead of relying on a system-wide one. I heard that even on Windows 10 this can be an issue since Midi synthesizers do not come with the system by default anymore. Who would knew they would mess up with such a simple thing as Midi.

2 hours ago, DwarfCleric said:

I feel like Midi has become such a hassle that I would recommend maybe one solution would be including the Prboom/LZdoom portions of the code specific to music playback, they are shipping with their own self-contained Midi synthesizer instead of relying on a system-wide one.

I don't know how logistically easy it would would be to introduce into Crispy, but I would second this absolutely.

Another positive side-effect of that implementation is that other midi drivers like VirtualMidiSynth and Timidity can be controlled via in-game volume options.

One of the biggest hassles of Chocolate and Crispy when using those drivers is that the volume must be controlled externally either via Windows' volume mixer, or the driver program's own equalizer.

PrBoom and LZDoom don't have this issue whatsoever and it's easy to control the volume right in-game. Helps avoid annoying discrepancies when switching between ports. Always have to go into driver software and lower the volume when switching to Crispy or the likes if I've just come from using another port.

Graf released ZMusic not too long ago. It would be great if other ports supported it, but I'm sure it's more work than just linking a few libraries.

Sweet, despite the fact that I had set windows security to allow crispy-doom.exe it killed it and removed the file in the middle of a no save run. Guess I'll go back to prboom+ for a while.

I think it's either 1. has to do with the MIDI synth or 2. it's just straight up and down caused by Crispy-Doom-Setup.exe

BUILD2 had some false positives due to how it changes its code while running. I think that the newest update probably had some code changed to improve performance which happened to be similar to trojan signatures that are commonly used, which causes antivirus software (softwares? not sure what the plural of software is) to recognize it as a virus.

6 minutes ago, hypoactive said:

(softwares? not sure what the plural of software is)

It's just software. It's uncountable.

This Midi music stuff is what prevents me from choosing Crispy/Chocolate as my go-to port for the stock IWAD's and older maps from the 90's.

It's the only port that allows me having a big window on the screen while keeping the original internal resolution 320x240. For me this is the strongest sell point to using Crispy or Chocolate. I can't remember if Doom95 was capable of this as well, I think not.

Not really related to the topic subject but while I was testing Crispy I came across this, never really noticed it before. Compare these screenshots of map E2M6 using (in order) CrispyDoom, PrBoom+ and gZDoom. The last two shows the difference between gzdoom's "Legacy" and "Dark" lighting modes, none of the gzdoom modes correspond to how the original game looked. "Legacy" mode totally ruins the atmosphere making everything too bright, and "dark" mode just makes everything turn into total darkness, unplayable, not only changes the looks but affects gameplay, try playing mazes like this.

(is there a way to attach images in spoilers? also, the Search function on the forums is not working anymore...)

Spoiler

crispy001.png.b51ba7b09bd8a662317edf13c5d98fb2.png

crispy002.png.7508fac72727d18f823b223ef1d24b9f.png

crispy003.png.60e7f635da72d63509d6c144e6f6929f.png

pr001.png.89c0d8ae9b6e8e0ebf7a9075fb8b544b.png

pr002.png.43a8b73facb9fb54ddac33e01c605a49.png

pr003.png.e99a648f2ee9dd95ef121b1fd37c861d.png

gz001.png.e2e722fd1e4e02d6da5453674fe18e23.png

gz002.png.681c7f32e545351accb3094afc9cbd37.png

gz003.png.bba195c8ed5a7e5680b131a5fd81fe32.png

3 minutes ago, DwarfCleric said:

The last two shows the difference between gzdoom's "Legacy" and "Dark" lighting modes. None of them correspond to how the original game looked. "Legacy" mode totally ruins the atmosphere making everything too bright, and "dark" mode just makes everything turn into total darkness, unplayable, not only changes the looks but affects gameplay, try playing mazes like this.

Hide contents

crispy002.png.7508fac72727d18f823b223ef1d24b9f.png

crispy003.png.60e7f635da72d63509d6c144e6f6929f.png

pr002.png.43a8b73facb9fb54ddac33e01c605a49.png

pr003.png.e99a648f2ee9dd95ef121b1fd37c861d.png

gz003.png.bba195c8ed5a7e5680b131a5fd81fe32.png

They're not supposed to.

If you want that, you need the Software or the even more accurate version, Vanilla sector light mode.

Just posting these last ones of Heretic E1M2 to showcase how the wrong lighting ruins atmosphere and makes the room look generic, for people who are not aware. And a bonus bug I wasn't even aware of, enemies clipping through the invisible wall.

Spoiler

chocHeretic001.png.16bef119a29659d56aa52a84219a0da5.png

gzHeretic001.png.a0d719dc0458dc9ba6aec72f568835c6.png

chocHeretic002.png.7f705e28235f3de9bee0adae378890e7.png

gzHeretic002.png.6996c4e3dce160cca41cd144303faf66.png

Made an account, just wanted to say thanks to @Gredge for re-compiling the newest version of Crispy DOOM, as I had a virus alert and Quarantine through Bitdefender as well. I don't think it's intentional in any way, but something's clearly throwing odd vibes that are seen as virus-like if both detected it

@DwarfCleric

Doom 95 supports vanilla res in fullscreen, Doomwiki says this:  

It supports four screen resolutions (320x200, 320x240, 640x400 and 640x480), which can all be used either in a windowed or a fullscreen mode.

Doom Retro also supports low detail mode and you can change the pixel size. By default the low detail pixel size is  2x2 so if enable low detail it should be the vanilla res.

You need a somewhat modern card to use the software light mode, it made quite a bit of a difference on my CRT but on my laptop (LCD) all of them suck even software itself. It was added back in 1.7 something and required GL 3.0.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:46 AM, DwarfCleric said:

Not really related to the topic subject but while I was testing Crispy I came across this, never really noticed it before. Compare these screenshots of map E2M6 using (in order) CrispyDoom, PrBoom+ and gZDoom. The last two shows the difference between gzdoom's "Legacy" and "Dark" lighting modes, none of the gzdoom modes correspond to how the original game looked. "Legacy" mode totally ruins the atmosphere making everything too bright, and "dark" mode just makes everything turn into total darkness, unplayable, not only changes the looks but affects gameplay, try playing mazes like this.

"Vanilla" is the one you want. Most of GZdoom lightning modes are approximations based on the limitations of OpenGL and hardware, becuase as it turns out doing lightning the "wrong" way (As vanilla idtech1 does it) is actually very hard to emulate on a hardware renderer that was designed to do things the right way for 3d applications.

Compared: GZdoom on the hardware renderer with vanilla lightning and palette tonemapping vs chocolate doom

afbeelding.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200410_005758.png

Maybe it's just me, but when I used the Vanilla setting I thought it looked like shit. It kinda reminded me of that bug that was in the initial release of Bethesda's ports where the light around you is way too bright.

Some screenies:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200409_190807.png.e106bf7246ddf2b4e80a03ecb618a1e8.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200409_190817.png.fa870588c05d2a4165a9c58c5aca12f6.png

Maybe my description above was wrong. I'm not really sure how to describe the problem, but I do notice that those step textures on the left are totally dark in opposition to software.

Edited by maxmanium

All of this lead me into some further investigations and I found these. Screenshots below and also more here.

TL:DR = If you want accurate vanilla looks but still want to load gameplay mods in pk3 format, use a port called ZDoomLE (ZDoomLegacy)

Are there available binaries for Crispy Heretic and Crispy Hexen? Just for the ability of being able to toggle High-Resolution on/off on the fly.

I will also look into a way of porting "hexen_balance.pk3" to a format that is accepted by Chocolate/Crispy (preferably to Prboom and Legacy as well) Suggestions on how I could start with that would be greatly appreciated.

Here the screenshots for Doom E2M6:

Spoiler

crispy002.png.7508fac72727d18f823b223ef1d24b9f.pngpr002.png.43a8b73facb9fb54ddac33e01c605a49.png

The ones below are gzdoom variants. Not only looks different but for some maps makes them unplayable, unlike how they were originally designed. Some more recent mods like Avactor are also affected by this (the dark room where pillars turn into crushers, you can't see anything there, it's not supposed to look like that, Prboom+ works as intended)

If you want to still be able to load recent gameplay mods like pk3 format for example, use ZDoomLE which also looks and behaves accurate

845465568_e2m6_ZdoomClassic2.1.8.png.a35c4804df037a22e38bac7ef7e33261.png

And here the screenshots for Hexen (mods also compatible with ZDoomLE):

Spoiler

hexen_map27_chocolateHexen.png.0cce4da2314bf42256bc7e3d3fe399ae.png

hexen_map27_ZdoomClassic218.png.2fc9e3974cbb020300b20af4151b6183.png

And this one gzdoom, lighting is not accurate and colors look washed out:

hexen_map27_gzdoom.png.131353c6b1e38136ac556c215fccd415.png

It was a false positive and it's fixed in the autobuild system for next release due to happen anytime soon. Even if it wasn't i could do a MinGW release once my PR is merged. I believe Crispy-Heretic will be in the 5.7.3 release.

About DwarfCleric's screenshots i don't know what you're comparing. The software renderer in that old QZDoom? Software vs hardware? That's not ZDoom LE (that's based on ZDoom 2.8.1) but ZDoom CL and it's based on 2.1.7 well it's 2.1.7 a version from 2006. Both should look the same. The last version including the original ZDoom software renderer (with minor enhancements) is ZDoom32 (also has the original truecolor renderer by dpJudas). Later versions include a refactored and enhanced software renderer that should look the same or pretty much the same.

That earthquake thing was a bug and was fixed long ago AFAIR, i think it works in ZDoom32 (probably i backported the fix).

Edit: now i see you're comparing software vs hardware (actually the fallback GL2 render path) which obviously look different (it's like comparing apples vs oranges).

Edited by drfrag

Aight then, I'll just play Gredge's build of it. Hit me up when 5.7.4 comes out. I'm paranoid and I don't wanna take many chances.