Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

I went through a large number of demos for the popular wads recently and encountered these issues:

These desync immediately after the end of MAP11 intermission, they are all CNDoom demos and the issue seems to be that the episode byte is \x02. They all fully play back if you change the byte to \x01.
https://dsdarchive.com/files/demos/doom2/27126/lve2n951.zip
https://dsdarchive.com/files/demos/doom2/27095/lve2-4528.zip
https://dsdarchive.com/files/demos/doom2/27142/lve2-4541.zip

Another CNDoom demo, this time with \x03 as the episode byte and plays back in TEETH.WAD if you have it. Fully plays back if you rename the wad or change the byte to \x01.
https://dsdarchive.com/files/demos/doom2/27144/lve3-3559.zip

The 40:44 demo in this zip seems to *sometimes* desync in MAP24. I'm judging purely from the generated levelstat.txt so that's all I can tell you.
https://dsdarchive.com/files/demos/plutonia/39450/plall-3331.zip

hi, just a quick question regarding sigil/nerve support

is there any way to avoid the automatic sideloading of these wads?

I have DOOM.WAD/DOOM2.WAD stored in %DOOMWADDIR%

I have SIGIL.WAD/NERVE.WAD stored in one of the folders listed in %DOOMWADPATH%

I would prefer to launch them using dedicated batch files (in order to load additional pwads/midis) 

thank you!

On 1/1/2022 at 5:55 PM, Keyboard_Doomer said:

the issue seems to be that the episode byte is \x02. They all fully play back if you change the byte to \x01.

Why is that byte set to 0x02 in the first place? Isn't Doom 2 supposed to be episode 1 all the way?

45 minutes ago, Delfino Furioso said:

is there any way to avoid the automatic sideloading of these wads?

Yes, it has just recently been added:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/2f911463fa4f87b7e6f0d066290e211e971b800b

I am currently struggling with the idea if I should restrict A11Y aids to non-demo sessions only. They could potentially make life *a lot* easier for people who do not suffer from the photosensibilities this is supposed to mitigate,

1 hour ago, fabian said:

Why is that byte set to 0x02 in the first place? Isn't Doom 2 supposed to be episode 1 all the way?

Indeed. It's a thing in CNDoom when the -episode parameter is used which represents an episode run. Since it's user-provided it can also end up being completely wrong, e.g. nothing stops you from using "-warp 1 -episode 9" and that's what's get written to the file.

Edited by Keyboard_Doomer

Alright, I just added a check to prevent sideloading of the "official" PWADs when a single demo is played back, i.e. `-playdemo` or `-timedemo`.

Ey fabian, since Crispy Hexen got a widescreen "patch" on github could you please create a release? Thanks.

Edited by El juancho

On 1/18/2022 at 4:50 AM, El juancho said:

Ey fabian, since Crispy Hexen got a widescreen "patch" on github could you please create a release? Thanks.

The problem is that I hate writing changelogs so much that I postpone releases longer and longer until the amount of changes that need to be documented overwhelms me. The 5.11 release is long time overdue already, but now I am going to wait for a minimal Crispness menu in Hexen - and then it's the right time. ;)

51 minutes ago, fabian said:

The problem is that I hate writing changelogs so much that I postpone releases longer and longer until the amount of changes that need to be documented overwhelms me. The 5.11 release is long time overdue already, but now I am going to wait for a minimal Crispness menu in Hexen - and then it's the right time. ;)

I would recommend using something like dynalist to note changes as they happen.   That way there is no big ordeal to go through when you are ready for a release, you just do a little cleanup and then copy paste.  I have had good success with that site.

I just use notepad and write changes from my commit messages when I commit stuff.  Then its just cleaning up the text file into a changelog and copy/paste.

1 hour ago, fabian said:

I find that tracking changes in a pending changelog in the repo is a nice way to check off a feature right after it's merged :^)

21 hours ago, fabian said:

The problem is that I hate writing changelogs so much that I postpone releases longer and longer until the amount of changes that need to be documented overwhelms me.

I think we both need to print this picture and pin it near monitor! :)

Spoiler

bart-simpson-generator.php?line=I%2Bwill

No problem! I will keep an eye on the issue tracker and this thread in case there are any issues with the Heretic/Hexen widescreen implementation. There is bound to be something I overlooked.

5 hours ago, mikeday said:

No problem! I will keep an eye on the issue tracker and this thread in case there are any issues with the Heretic/Hexen widescreen implementation. There is bound to be something I overlooked.

Reiterating what SiFi270 said, will Crispy Hexen devbuilds be added to http://latest.chocolate-doom.org/?

3 hours ago, fabian said:

Update Feb 09, 2022: Crispy Doom 5.11 is released!

Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatible with the original.

Crispy Doom 5.11 is released on Feb 09, 2022. It marks the return of Crispy Hexen and features highly appreciated community contributions of the past half year.

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.11/crispy-doom-5.11.0-win32.zip

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.11/crispy-heretic-5.11.0-win32.zip

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.11/crispy-hexen-5.11.0-win32.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

Awesome news. Next to Prboom+, Crispy Doom is my most used Doom port.

Since i have been trying to get into pistolstart, I have been using Crispy Doom more often; also it tends to give me better performance on the raspberry pi.

I've just downloaded the newest updates and tried them out, thanks for sharing them.

In current Heretic's, the player's speed on autorun appears to be the same as in walk mode, I double-checked in the setup and the option is enabled so this could be a thing. I've also had a crash in the first map of this wad, few seconds in while looking around, the message was this and it seems to be consistent. The mappers claimed they tested in Heretic+ with no glaring problems, though I'm not sure if I should be using zdoom this time in particular.

congrats for the new release!

just a little nitpick: the .exe file properties and the window titlebar both display "5.10.3" as the program version

I've been waiting for a new Crispy update for a while, and it's pretty much what I wanted. Mostly the Crispy Heretic/Hexen improvements like widescreen support. The only real issue I had was that I couldn't bind mouse buttons 4 and 5 to "Previous Weapon" and "Next Weapon" in Crispy Doom, but I could in Heretic/Hexen. I also tried to run Chexquest, but it said I needed a Dehacked file, so I gotta figure out where to find that at. But I hope to see more stuff for Heretic/Hexen in the future

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

In current Heretic's, the player's speed on autorun appears to be the same as in walk mode, I double-checked in the setup and the option is enabled so this could be a thing.

It happened the same for me in HeXen, try opening the config file and set joyb_speed to 31

Also, another thing, whenever I turn, either to the left or right in HeXen while running (with all classes), the player slows down to the walking speed.
Doesn't happen in Chocolate HeXen

4 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I've just downloaded the newest updates and tried them out, thanks for sharing them.

In current Heretic's, the player's speed on autorun appears to be the same as in walk mode, I double-checked in the setup and the option is enabled so this could be a thing. I've also had a crash in the first map of this wad, few seconds in while looking around, the message was this and it seems to be consistent. The mappers claimed they tested in Heretic+ with no glaring problems, though I'm not sure if I should be using zdoom this time in particular.

This was an issue pre-release but I reported it and it was fixed as well. Strange to see it pop-up again.

1 hour ago, Lol 6 said:

Also, another thing, whenever I turn, either to the left or right in HeXen while running (with all classes), the player slows down to the walking speed.
Doesn't happen in Chocolate HeXen

Strangely enough none of these issues happen when building from source. At least with the latest commit before the release.

I think the fastest way to fix it would be to report it on GitHub, there's a really handy template that you can use with all the required information.

3 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Nice addition with widescreen to hexen,  does it also have uncapped frame rate?

Not yet. Just widescreen, smooth pixel scaling, vsync and obviously the higher resolution and raised limits.

4 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Nice addition with widescreen to hexen,  does it also have uncapped frame rate?

I'm playing around with implementing uncapped frame rate but it's not quite there yet. If I'm successful I'll definitely submit a PR.

55 minutes ago, rzh said:

This was an issue pre-release but I reported it and it was fixed as well. Strange to see it pop-up again.

Strangely enough none of these issues happen when building from source. At least with the latest commit before the release.

Same. I don't have any issues with autorun as far as I can tell.

4 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

It happened the same for me in HeXen, try opening the config file and set joyb_speed to 31 

this didnt work for me, still is going walking speed all the time..(tho on heretic no hexen, for whatever reason hexen doesnt have this issue at all, just heretic)

I don't have any other explanation for this, but it seems that the packaging script in `pkg/win32` "somehow" picked up a development snapshot of the executables instead of the actual 5.11 releases. This, although I have started from a clean "make distclean && autoreconf -fiv && ./configure && make". And then it packaged it up with the correct README.md file which contains the 5.11 release notes and which I changed just in the same commit in which I updated the version information in CMakeList.txt and configure.ac. This is really, really strange.

Now that @mikeday has fixed the config keys getting lost in setup, I'll check out a clean repo and package it once again as 5.11.1.