Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

Great to see Crispy Hexen back, and with widescreen support now too. Hoping uncapped framerate might be implemented at some point.

One minor issue I've noticed: I have a small WAD I created containing the Hexen widescreen assets which I like to load in as the original sprites for certain weapons are otherwise massively cut off in widescreen mode. However, the fighter's axe and hammer, as well as the cleric's mace, don't display correctly when attacking for some reason (the axe and hammer are drawn too high up the screen for a frame or two, and the mace is glitchy for a frame or so). This WAD works correctly with DSDA-Doom and GZDoom, so I'm assuming the bug is with Crispy Hexen somewhere.

Question about autoload:
I see that what I place into "doom2.wad" subdir is not loaded in Plutonia or TNT. Is there a folder that would only load for Doom2-based games, i.e. Doom 2 and Final Doom? Something like "doom-all", but excluding Doom 1.

2 hours ago, NightFright said:

Question about autoload:
I see that what I place into "doom2.wad" subdir is not loaded in Plutonia or TNT. Is there a folder that would only load for Doom2-based games, i.e. Doom 2 and Final Doom? Something like "doom-all", but excluding Doom 1.

Nope, sorry, there is nothing like "doom2-all".

12 hours ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

fucking amazing, thanks man.

didn't know what number it should have been, thanks :D

Next time you may want to simply delete the offending key from your config file and it will get reset to its default value. 

9 hours ago, blackthorn said:

Great to see Crispy Hexen back, and with widescreen support now too. Hoping uncapped framerate might be implemented at some point.

One minor issue I've noticed: I have a small WAD I created containing the Hexen widescreen assets which I like to load in as the original sprites for certain weapons are otherwise massively cut off in widescreen mode. However, the fighter's axe and hammer, as well as the cleric's mace, don't display correctly when attacking for some reason (the axe and hammer are drawn too high up the screen for a frame or two, and the mace is glitchy for a frame or so). This WAD works correctly with DSDA-Doom and GZDoom, so I'm assuming the bug is with Crispy Hexen somewhere.

Do the replacement sprites display correctly if you set the aspect ratio to 4:3?

If you could share your wad file it would definitely help me debug this issue.

12 minutes ago, mikeday said:

Do the replacement sprites display correctly if you set the aspect ratio to 4:3?

A very good point and I don't know why I didn't try it. I've just checked and the same issues are present when the aspect ratio is set to 4:3, so I guess there's no bug with the widescreen mode.

Perhaps it is my WAD file after all? As I say, it works fine in other ports I've used it with, but maybe I've made a mistake somewhere. It's here if still of any interest: https://www.udrop.com/6pTW/HEXEN_WS.wad

3 minutes ago, mikeday said:

I've noticed this issue as well, it displays wrong in 4:3 as well.

Title/ intermission screens/ HUD seem to be fine, but I haven't checked all of them.

It only seems to happen with these three weapons.

Maybe the Quietus (Warrior weapon 4) as well, but I haven't confirmed.

I also attached the .wad I created, all of the assets are taken from @Nash's repo.

Not sure if this breaks any rules, sharing it like this, but I'll take it down no probs if it does.

HEXEN02.png

HEXEN04.png

HEXEN06.png

hexwide.zip

Just to confirm I also used Nash’s resources, and the glitching I mentioned is identical to those screenshots. I checked the quietus and it’s fine.

Have you placed the sprites between S_START and S_END markers? Nash's version doesn't do that since GZDoom uses zip/pk3 subdirectories. If you place those sprites into a vanilla-style wad, any graphics used as sprites must be between those markers, otherwise the port won't recognize them properly. Look how it was done in the widescreen assets that come with International Doom ("base" subdir).

Also, be sure you don't mess up any sprite offsets. They must remain unchanged.

16 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Have you placed the sprites between S_START and S_END markers? Nash's version doesn't do that since GZDoom uses zip/pk3 subdirectories. If you place those sprites into a vanilla-style wad, any graphics used as sprites must be between those markers, otherwise the port won't recognize them properly. Look how it was done in the widescreen assets that come with International Doom ("base" subdir).

Also, be sure you don't mess up any sprite offsets. They must remain unchanged.

Yep, S_START and S_END have been added. Without them the sprites don't get replaced at all.

I also used International Doom (or Hexen I should say) as reference, as well as the Hexen IWAD. At some point I even removed unrelated assets from International Hexen's WAD and loaded that instead and the same issue persists.

I did not modify sprite offsets for this version, but I also had a test wad where I tried messing with them but obviously that doesn't solve the issue at all and only serves to display the sprites in a completely different part of the screen.

Try the following wad with widescreen assets taken from Nash's project. Works for me in Crispy Doom, placing it into my autoload\hexen.wad subdir.

hexenwide.zip

PS: You are right. I didn't check any other than the first weapon at first. Fighter weapons #2 and #3 (FAXE, FHMR) are not properly aligned, in spite of using correct widescreen assets. No other weapons seem to be affected at first glance, just those two.

Edited by NightFright

6 hours ago, fabian said:

Next time you may want to simply delete the offending key from your config file and it will get reset to its default value. 

this is not something i knew either.
God I still feel new to dooming even after over 1.5 years, thanks :)

2 hours ago, NightFright said:

Try the following wad with widescreen assets taken from Nash's project. Works for me in Crispy Doom, placing it into my autoload\hexen.wad subdir.

hexenwide.zip

PS: You are right. I didn't check any other than the first weapon at first. Fighter weapons #2 and #3 (FAXE, FHMR) are not properly aligned, in spite of using correct widescreen assets. No other weapons seem to be affected at first glance, just those two.

There's also the Cleric mace from my experience, but I would also check your wad to see if it makes a difference.

At first glance, I cannot see anything special about these sprites when looking at them in the wad, other that they maybe have kinda extreme offsets (over -250) sometimes, but dunno if that's an issue.

Thanks @NightFright, @rzh and @blackthorn for the wads and screenshots. They are incredibly helpful!

The issue with the replacement sprites is that some of the patch columns contain posts which are greater than 128 pixels. It is the same issue described here. It is a vanilla limitation that has already been fixed in crispy-doom and crispy-heretic, just not in crispy-hexen. It should be no problem to also apply the fix there.

Good to know! Hexen has been neglected a bit until now. It's currently getting better in Inter Doom, maybe Crispy can pick a few things from there eventually. That widescreen issue should definitely be fixed soon, though. I have created an issue over at Github so it's not forgotten.

Edited by NightFright

Another thing I have been wondering about (sorry for double-post):

What does Libsamplerate do with sounds that have the same sampling rate than what is set up? E.g. sampling rate in Crispy is set to 32000 and the used sound files are 32kHz. Will a resampling happen or will those files remain untouched?

Been wondering about this since I am using Per Kristian's Doom sound remasters which are 32kHz and I don't want to upsample them. However, not all sounds were replaced, so those original ones (11 kHz) should get upsampled.

On 3/19/2022 at 5:21 AM, NightFright said:

Another thing I have been wondering about (sorry for double-post):

What does Libsamplerate do with sounds that have the same sampling rate than what is set up? E.g. sampling rate in Crispy is set to 32000 and the used sound files are 32kHz. Will a resampling happen or will those files remain untouched?

Been wondering about this since I am using Per Kristian's Doom sound remasters which are 32kHz and I don't want to upsample them. However, not all sounds were replaced, so those original ones (11 kHz) should get upsampled.

I'm not sure what libsamplerate does when converting sounds which are already at the target sample rate. However if you're worried about upsampling artifacts you can always use a value of 5 for use_libsamplerate in the crispy-*.cfg file. This causes libsamplerate to use the high quality windowed sinc resampler which is as close to perfect resampling as you're gonna get. Setting your global audio sampling rate to 32 kHz will reduce the quality of your music playback.

I actually found any libsamplerate value higher than 1 will make any unmodified sounds muffled, increasing the quality gap between Per's replacements and the rest. If all sounds had been remade, upsampling could have even been turned off entirely.

But yeah, if it affects music quality, it's kinda counter-productive. Probably leaving it at default settings (44100/1) is the best idea.

Edited by NightFright

Believe it or not the muffled sound is more accurate, at least in an academic sense. Whether or not it's more pleasing is a matter of taste of course. A use_libsamplerate value of 1 is linear interpolation which will introduce extra high frequency content (it sounds like a shimmer to me) that isn't actually present in the original sounds. I think most source ports use linear interpolation so that sound has become the de facto "correct" way for most people.

You can also try a value of 0, which tells SDL to handle the upsampling. These days it uses its own version of sinc resampling I believe. Might be worth a try.

There is one sound I have yet to identify, used for raising platforms, which has such a sharp noise, especially when stacked, that it's deafening. I dunno if it's a remastered sound or an upsampled original one, but I need to get rid of it. I recently played a map that was full of platforms using that noise and I had to almost mute sound entirely.

Here to report something!

If I pause the game (by pressing the pause key, not escape, I have it bound to the letter P) on whatever map in a set, the next map will start without any music for as long as the game's been paused before. This happens whether I exit a map legitimately or skip to the next. Also this doesn't happen with MUS lumps but only (afaik) with MID, so you don't notice this in iwads. I believe I have mentioned this with a few versions ago, so I bring it back because it has persisted. 

18 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Here to report something!

If I pause the game (by pressing the pause key, not escape, I have it bound to the letter P) on whatever map in a set, the next map will start without any music for as long as the game's been paused before. This happens whether I exit a map legitimately or skip to the next. Also this doesn't happen with MUS lumps but only (afaik) with MID, so you don't notice this in iwads. I believe I have mentioned this with a few versions ago, so I bring it back because it has persisted. 

Can you give a wad as an example?

7 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Literally any wad with MID lumps. The latest I played was this, or maybe this one that uses both MUS and MID files. 

Yeah, that's why I asked because I tried multiple ones, including the ones you listed and it didn't do it for me.

I also have pause set to P, and I tried both completing maps normally and idclev.

There's a really useful template on GitHub to submit issues, maybe it's caused by your version of Crispy, or your OS, or something else entirely.

For a proper Crispy Doom bug report over at Github, you'll need following info:

- Version of Crispy Doom

- Operating System and version

- Game (Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife/other)

- Any loaded WADs and mods (please include full command line)

- Observed behavior

- Expected behavior

I'm playing with VirtualMIDISynth installed and for some reason it absolutely blasts the music to the point where I can't hear Doom's actual sound effects. Gunfire and such are all drowned out unless I go into MIDISynth's mixer and turn down the master volume there. This also happens with Chocolate Doom. I'm not sure what to do here.