Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

13 hours ago, Zilch said:

Doomguy must be happy, because he can't stop dancing xD.....

https://imgur.com/a/2ShFrhD

12 hours ago, chungy said:

Pretty sure that happens in vanilla too.

12 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

It does, I've experienced that before in Vanilla and Chocolate

... as well as prb+ on vanilla complevels

Here's another issue that's been bugging me a lot!  This little trick was first showed off in Plutonia MAP07.  When you jump off the ledge a single Archville appears in a cage, of which there are two.  It will teleport between the two.

The issue also exists in Chocolate Doom.  The reason I'm posting this is because this trick is very prominent in Plutonia 2, which I've recently been enjoying since Dario posted about it :D

As far as I know, this is how it's supposed to work (LZDoom 3.88a on Debian 11.1.0)....

http://imgur.com/a/64LBURM

But this is what is looks like (Crispy Doom 5.17.3 compiled on Debian 11.1.0)....

http://imgur.com/a/KuPNcuD

http://imgur.com/a/P29CHZw

You'll note that the Archvilles teleport extremely quickly.

Record a demo (lmp) in one of the engine and play it back in another. If playback is different, then there is a bug. If it plays back correctly, the engine works correct. It this case is most likely broken in LZDoom if it is broken. (G)Zdoom is never a good source for correct behaviour in Doom across ports.

It's not even that LZDoom is broken, just that vanilla accuracy has never been a goal of the ZDoom family of source ports.

Plutonia 2 did reveal some edge cases in vanilla accuracy in Chocolate Doom in the early days; I think it all got ironed out long ago, but definitely record a demo and see how it plays back in doom2.exe (in Plutonia 2's case, the version that comes with Final Doom).

On 10/30/2021 at 9:41 AM, Zilch said:

The issue also exists in Chocolate Doom.

That means it happens in the Final Doom exe, since Chocolate Doom is emulating the behavior of said exe

On 10/30/2021 at 9:41 AM, Zilch said:

You'll note that the Archvilles teleport extremely quickly. 

Here's footage from decino playing the map in GLBoom plus with complevel 4 (Which makes the port behave like final doom.) It happens here too (not very often cuz ducino is playing with fast monsters). But, yeah, this shows that the trap is working as intended. (I'm not surprised given that Plutonia is the hardest of the four comercial IWADS)

Spoiler

EDIT: Here's footage of me showcasing the trap in Sprinkled Doom (Which is pretty much chocolate with increased limits). Crispy Doom is, in deed, behaving correctly

Spoiler

Edited by Lol 6

23 minutes ago, braders1986 said:

Can Crispy run on Windows 98, at all ?

I haven't tested it personally but I would think version 3.3 or earlier may,  might have to try some and see what's compatible unless someone else has tested it.  I have gotten Chocolate doom to work with version 2.21 on 98 however

Edited by BlueThunder

The SDL 1.2 versions have a small chance if you use a compiler that can output a Windows 98 compatible EXE.

The lift in E2M3 of Lunar Catastrophe that is near the toxic slime pit and Cacodemons doesn't work. I tried it on Eternity, and the same lift works. I also remember triggering a switch in E2M6 of that WAD caused the entire map to be squished (reduced height) so that it was no longer playable. 

4 minutes ago, JXC said:

The lift in E2M3 of Lunar Catastrophe that is near the toxic slime pit and Cacodemons doesn't work. I tried it on Eternity, and the same lift works. I also remember triggering a switch in E2M6 of that WAD caused the entire map to be squished (reduced height) so that it was no longer playable. 

At first glance, this sounds like incorrect usage of tag 0, a common mistake made by new mappers. Eternity simply might have some "map fixes" of sort, that fix functionality on faulty maps: I'm aware that PrBoom+ has a setting that makes non-Direct linedef actions with tag 0 apply on the local sector; you may have this enabled on Eternity, whereas Crispy doesn't have it at all as far as I'm concerned.

Then again, I repeat, those are my first thoughts, and that might not be the issue.

I mean, considering that wad was only tested in zdoom and made with zdoom in mind, I think it'd be a miracle if it DID work completely fine in crispy doom :^)

Well, I'm about to bring the "tag 0" topic back... 

Is there any possibility to implement an option in crispy that "fixes" tagged 0 sectors? Similar to prboom's "apply locally" setting. Every now and then I would be playing an old-ish allegedly vanilla or LR map and 30 minutes in I'd find me breaking it entirely because of just one untagged door or lift, when everything else is fine. Some cases are purely my fault for not following the mapper's own statements ("advanced engine: none, but I tested in zdoom!"), and other times there simply isn't much info other than "may not run with: [empty]/doom2.exe" and it can be a bit frustrating to have to switch ports and loose a lot of progress. 

There's also when two special lines are too close to each other, like a door and a floor trigger, and one prevents the other to function. It's not as common as the other thankfully. For special circumstances an optional fix would come in handy, particularly with older maps, though I don't know if this'd be too much hassle to implement, because there's also demo compatibility and stuff... anyways, just asking.

6 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Well, I'm about to bring the "tag 0" topic back... 

Actually, the "fix" is already there, but I left it commented out:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/blob/c6e8334d5abf6a348e1a2438d7b428280c78745f/src/doom/p_spec.c#L513

The reason is that I don't want to encourage mappers to release broken maps. It would be the wrong sign to let them get away with this. ;) The "fix" would strictly only apply to singleplayer games, anyway, so such a map would get instantly broken again as soon as you record a demo or play it with a friend.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:56 AM, Master O said:

@fabian One other question about compiling Crispy Hexen:

So if I understand this correctly, before compiling Crispy Hexen using the steps below, do I follow steps 1 - 2 from https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Building_Chocolate_Doom_on_Windows first?

(I know where Crispy Doom's source code is, obviously...)

I did all those steps and I can compile both crispy Doom and Heretic, but I can't do Hexen or Strife.

When I run make -C hexen, I get

make: Nothing to be done for "all".

4 minutes ago, fabian said:

Well, then "make crispy-hexen.exe" should come next.

It worked perfectly now, thank you!

Hey, is there a way to stretch the hud to occupy the entire width of the screen in crispy doom? I don't want to see the green bricks on sides, normally I use doom_wide.wad but I wanted to play scythe 2, it uses a custom hud and there isn't a wad for it included in doom wide zip, so I want to just stretch the hud

Just now, rfomin said:

I made wad with wide assets for Scythe 2: scythe2_ws.zip

Resources are taken from this beautiful thread:

Oh, thank you. I still would like to know how to stretch the hud just in case, or if people googling want to know.

1 hour ago, Cilian said:

I still would like to know how to stretch the hud just in case, or if people googling want to know.

The statusbar doesn't stretch, so using the aforementioned widescreen assets is the only way to cover the green bars on either side of the statusbar, but you can also press the = key a few times until the fullscreen hud shows up at the edges of the screen. Playing in 4:3 is also viable if you just want the statusbar to extend to the edge, and doesn't require anything extra.

Have been looking into getting an older Crispy Doom build to run on my Win 98 machine, but I have hit a dead end. Apparently I would need to compile an older SDL  build from the source, and I have come to the realization that I have absolutely no idea how to compile lol, or what the hell SDL even is, other than 2.0 doesn't work on Win9x. Seriously, it's like another World to me.

I got an older Chocolate Doom to work, but I can't play any vanilla-ish limit removing mods like I can with Crispy, and the 60fps is greatly missed.

Is it possible to get a newer version of Crispy, with all the nice quality of life improvements, to work on Win 98. Preferably, one that isn't too old and lacking in features I have got used to on my modern system.

2 minutes ago, braders1986 said:

Have been looking into getting an older Crispy Doom build to run on my Win 98 machine, but I have hit a dead end. Apparently I would need to compile an older SDL  build from the source, and I have come to the realization that I have absolutely no idea how to compile lol, or what the hell SDL even is, other than 2.0 doesn't work on Win9x. Seriously, it's like another World to me.

I got an older Chocolate Doom to work, but I can't play any vanilla-ish limit removing mods like I can with Crispy, and the 60fps is greatly missed.

Is it possible to get a newer version of Crispy, with all the nice quality of life improvements, to work on Win 98. Preferably, one that isn't too old and lacking in features I have got used to on my modern system.

I assume you would need an SDL1.2 build that is 32bit?  I have them (dlls and libs) that I could zip up for you?  No idea if they would work on 98 though, I haven't used that since I was in high school :D

6 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

I assume you would need an SDL1.2 build that is 32bit?  I have them (dlls and libs) that I could zip up for you?  No idea if they would work on 98 though, I haven't used that since I was in high school :D

Can't hurt to try them. That would be great :)

4 hours ago, braders1986 said:

Is it possible to get a newer version of Crispy, with all the nice quality of life improvements, to work on Win 98.

Anything's possible, but you'll have to put the work into it. It's not likely anybody else cares about Windows 98 that much.

Also, please note that there is nothing in Crispy's code that prevents compilation on ancient systems. It's just the hardware abstraction layer, i.e. the SDL family of libraries, that you'll have to convince into working there before.