Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

On 10/2/2018 at 2:26 PM, NotTheTime said:

How to enable 60fps limit without vsync?

There is currently no way to do this (anymore).

Why would you want to run the game with a different refresh rate than your screen?

17 hours ago, fabian said:

Why would you want to run the game with a different refresh rate than your screen?

Game is not so smooth with vsync enabled.

On 9/28/2018 at 10:18 AM, MAJ said:

fabian, also add please libsamplerate option to in-game menu or disable this shit function by default like in choco.

Most probably not a problem anymore with the next release. 

On 9/28/2018 at 10:18 AM, MAJ said:

And I hope you restore 16:10 aspect ratio without picture cut, now its no way to turn it on correctly.

There'll be an in-game menu switch in the next release. 

2 hours ago, fabian said:

Most probably not a problem anymore with the next release. 

There'll be an in-game menu switch in the next release. 

Good.  Also, did you see my follow up PM about that other feature I mentioned?

fabian, thanks for the aspect ratio option, but with sound is all the same in dev builds, I need to set libsamplerate option to 0 in config file to get normal sound balance. I hope it wouldn't need any more in release version.

Awesome source port, 5/5. Thanks a lot for it. Just two tiny requests/questions from speedrunning perspective.

Is there a way to fix the "quick start"? It seems like the inputs are not correct during/for the wipescreen effect. The quick start is almost as good as in the original doom under DOS, but not quite. For example the first 2 frames of a demo file shows that usually the game only registers one key/input, not two. Meaning only "move forward" command is inserted but not "move forward" + "strafe left/right" from the very first frames of the level, meaning straferun starts a bit slow. Sometimes it just misses 1-2 frames for the input entirely. This is A LOT in speedrunning when doing some serious runs.

It would be nice, if there was vertical mouse movement toggle on/off, meaning one could switch between moving forward with the mouse or not during the gameplay.

Other than those two things, I think this source port is pretty much as good as it can get for speedrunning.

EDIT: Oh, forgot that you can't bind the keys on NUMPAD for some reason :( Would help a lot too.

Edited by Looper

On 11/4/2018 at 3:23 AM, Looper said:

Awesome source port, 5/5. Thanks a lot for it. Just two tiny requests/questions from speedrunning perspective.

Thank you very much for your feedback, I am feeling flattered!

Is there a way to fix the "quick start"?

Phew, this one sounds tricky. Honestly, I currently have no idea how this could get fixed.

@fx02 Didn't CNDoom have a fix for this or am I mistaken? It's sad to see your github repository gone.

It would be nice, if there was vertical mouse movement toggle on/off,

Sure thing, I could add this. Do you mean it as a key or a mouse button? Should it be a simple on/off toggle or something like "move vertically as long as the button is pressed"?

EDIT: Oh, forgot that you can't bind the keys on NUMPAD for some reason :( Would help a lot too.

This is inherited from Chocolate Doom and should get fixed there first. I am sure there was even already a bug report about this, but I cannot currently find one. Strange how you never notice someting as trivial if you always play on a laptop. ;)

23 minutes ago, fabian said:

Phew, this one sounds tricky. Honestly, I currently have no idea how this could get fixed.

@fx02 Didn't CNDoom have a fix for this or am I mistaken? It's sad to see your github repository gone.

CNDoom has actually never worked that great for me. Not sure why, but I have black screen there for long period of time making it completely unplayable. There are some settings for the quick start though. I think it's added time for the first frames, so you dont miss it because of too fast loading screen or something. Not 100% sure though.

23 minutes ago, fabian said:

Do you mean it as a key or a mouse button? Should it be a simple on/off toggle or something like "move vertically as long as the button is pressed"?

On/off toggle as a key would be the one I'm looking for. The latter sounds interesting though.

Why last dev builds don't support uncapped framerate? I turn it on and don't get any difference.

When you are using -record command, you are not allowed to use "load game". So for example, I was doing some speedrunning and I thought "ok, I have to practice this part of the map X, so I will just save while waiting for the lift. k, saved... ... ok, that wasn't good attempt, let's load.... .... ok, let's exit the game, make a new shortcut, load the game".

Yeah sure, the demo file gets desynced and I understand why this can be a good idea to not confuse people. Any chance to have an option to allow load game anyways?

I think that was changed after v4.3, you can use -shorttics instead of -record if you intend to practice with the lower turning resolution. I do however think that the save being disabled while recording would be more confusing than demo desyncing from menuing, I dunno.

This has been implemented on purpose and on request by a user, though I don't remember anymore who it was:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/335c7fb61b5a70ce3fbcd9014af86c57461c926c

The reason is just as you mentioned, a recording would be instantly broken once you load a game. However, if it helps you practice, then I will reevaluate to remove this again.

@ZeroMaster010 Yes, you may use -shorttics to practice demo recording, but if you make a good attempt, well, it won't be recorded. ;) Also, entering the menu will not desync demos in Crispy, but it will pause the game instead.

Yes, I am aware of -shorttics command. That is exactly what I meant with making a new shortcut. The new shortcut will have -shorttics added and -record command removed. It is annoying to load the game because you have to quit the game, make the new shortcut with correct parameters, then load the file. This all could be prevented by allowing load game :D

This is how my crispydoom folder looks like because I DO practice with save/load and I do some other experiments:

wGYU4dA.jpg

Each "copy" shortcut means it is -shorttic, without -record.

Ah, that's what you meant by making a new shortcut, heh. I agree that it worked better before by allowing load game even though it desyncs (and to clarify, the save being disabled while recording is more confusing than a demo desyncing if loads were allowed, I can't imagine anyone wondering why a demo desyncs if they used saves/loads).

I don't know why you need a shortcut for each map though, I just make 1 and idclev XX + quicksave/quickload, that probably costs a tic or so, so I assume that's why :)

@Looper I feel your pain, fixed in https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/928c68b56718dec92f6d91492237114916251910

However, I've let New Game disabled while recording a demo.

@ZeroMaster010 Actually, saving a game was never disabled while recording a demo, just loading. Did you know that you could record and play a demo starting from a savegame by running e.g. 'crispy-doom -loadgame X -record demo.lmp' or 'crispy-doom -loadgame X -playdemo demo.lmp' respectively?

Edited by fabian

Update December 17, 2018: Crispy Doom 5.4 is released!

Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatible with the original.

Crispy Doom 5.4 has been released on December 17, 2018. This version demonstrates that there's always room for perfection and improvement. ;-)

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom#history-of-changes

The Crispy Doom source code is available at GitHub:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.4/crispy-doom_5.4.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

At last! No cartoon sounds anymore... BUT! :) I still need to set "use_libsamplerate" option to 0 to get normal sound balance. Maybe you re-release it with turned off libsamplerate option?

P.S. Force correct aspect ratio option in setup app is no need anymore...

Edited by MAJ

On 12/17/2018 at 9:41 AM, MAJ said:

Is it possible to add such a version of HUD? With white titles near the values and with\without doomguy face.

The problem is that the widget titles are part of the status bar background graphics. I would have to cut them out and carry them as additional data, which I won't do. Regarding Doomguy's face in the minimal HUD, I tried several attempts but never found a variant with his face drawn over the weapon sprite to be appealing.

18 hours ago, MAJ said:

Maybe you re-release it with turned off libsamplerate option?

Sorry, but this works for the majority of users and as long as your case is the exception from the rule, I won't change the defaults.

P.S. Force correct aspect ratio option in setup app is no need anymore...

Maybe, but it doesn't hurt either. ;)

Edited by fabian

I tested a bit more the new version and there is a new critical bug - microfreezes. :( I tried to on\off uncapped framerate with vsync and it didn't help.

1 hour ago, fabian said:

Sorry, but this works for the majority of users and as long as your case is the exception from the rule, I won't change the defaults.

It's very strange... Did you compare carefully the sound with and without libsamplerate? With libsamplerate music is louder than other sounds. Anyway, it would be good to add libsamplerate option in crispness menu.

Edited by MAJ

There's a tiny bug:

If you bind quick turn on your mouse then you will turn 180 degrees every frame you are holding the button down and turning. Meaning if you are turning the same time as you try to hit the quick turn, it will instead turn 180 degrees for so many frames you actually held the button down. This does not happen with the keyboard, unless you hold it down for 1 second or so which is quite normal. When bound on mouse it happens instantly.

Edited by Looper

Hey fabian, grats on 5.4, Crispy Doom is still my favorite port. I'm experiencing a crash on toggling 'enable vsync' in the ingame menu, it wasn't present in 5.3 or the 20181210 dev build. It happens on a Windows 7 SP1 machine; let me know if you need any more information. Here's the crash dialogue:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	crispy-doom.exe
  Application Version:	5.4.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	00000000
  Fault Module Name:	SDL2.dll
  Fault Module Version:	2.0.9.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	00000000
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00068778
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	2057
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

6 hours ago, Looper said:

When bound on mouse it happens instantly.

Indeed, it seems that mouse events are triggered as long as the mouse button is held down, not only when it is pressed (which is quite practical for other keys, granted). I will probably have to introduce a timer to force a delay between two 180° turns. However, if this comes to light now, after several years of this feature existing, is this mouse binding actually needed at all or do you people use only the keyboard to perform 180° turns?

42 minutes ago, vadrig4r said:

Hey fabian, grats on 5.4, Crispy Doom is still my favorite port. I'm experiencing a crash on toggling 'enable vsync' in the ingame menu,

I should test on Windows more often *sigh*. Does this happen reproducibly? Does it happen if you have a game running or from the title screen? Do you have the Automap open?

@fabian Yep, but it seems I had to disable "Smooth Pixel Scaling" and then toggle "High Resolution Rendering" before I could disable Vsync without crashing. Simply disabling "Smooth Pixel Scaling" alone still resulted in a crash. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry didn't see your first post, yes it is reproducible and it happens from both the title screen and ingame.

Edited by vadrig4r

I tested last devbuild and there are no microfreezes, also I noticed that sound is more correct, in release version sound is louder and sounds a bit different. So I clearly understood that reason of most problems is new SDL libraries. @fabian I really hope you add a separate release based on the choco SDL libraries - it would be perfect.

Edited by MAJ