Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

In my experience, nothing looks like a CRT but a CRT. If you want a real CRT, get one. If you don't, an image filter is no substitute.

ySr6YCN.png

This message should be displayed a tic or two after the screenshot is taken, so it doesn't appear in the screenshot itself.

On 12/21/2018 at 9:53 PM, Dwaze said:

The problem where the music volume slider acts as the master volume for the entire program is back again for me.

This happens when I choose native midi in the setup program. OPL works fine.

I wonder if other windows users have this problem with v5.4? I'm on windows 10 myself.

I have the same behaviour in chocolate doom 3.0.0 and prboom+ with preferred midi player set to sdl.

(I choose portmidi in prboom+ to solve the mixing problem and it sounds the same as sdl)

So I think it's sdl and windows related, maybe not even a crispy bug.

I also have the crispy doom versions 20181127 and 20181216 and the sound mixing works there perfectly.

I tried replacing the SDL2_mixer.dll from 5.4 with the one from 20181216 and to my surprise it actually solved the sound problem.

You're not the only one experiencing this bug with Windows 10.

I had the same music volume slider thing in 5.3 but that was a pretty easy fix.

I retraced your steps and copied the chocolate doom SDL2_mixer.dll and it fixed the bug. Thanks @MAJ!

I remember reading either in this thread or the PrBoom+ thread that Windows somehow screwed up its own midi playback (I don't recall the exact details) which is why I also had to set PrBoom+ to portmidi.

On a side note, I found crispy doom's music to be way too loud when I set the sounds volume to 14 and music volume to 10.

So I had to go to the config file and set libsamplerate_scale to 1.0

I tried setting it to 0 and while that did make the music balance better (i.e. music doesn't overwhelm the sounds), I ended up with like low quality sound effects so I then set it to 1.

I dunno if this is a crispy or Windows 10 issue, but I just wanted to inform you guys about this weird albeit minor sound issue.

3 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

In my experience, nothing looks like a CRT but a CRT. If you want a real CRT, get one. If you don't, an image filter is no substitute.

Of course not, different technology so it's never going to be the same without the real thing. Still, thought it would be something nice to have.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:56 PM, SiFi270 said:

Also, are automap/hud stats for Heretic any more likely than they were the last time I asked?

Well, here they are:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/11e6091ac13906b5c79238a0a7f49abe60e2c7c9

On 1/5/2019 at 11:21 PM, Agent6 said:

More exactly, what about darker gamma corrections?

I don't think it's the source port's job to make the game look as if it was played on a different screen. There are alterantive palettes available which aim to achieve this, e.g.:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/pal_plus

7 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

This message should be displayed a tic or two after the screenshot is taken, so it doesn't appear in the screenshot itself.

This is already implemented, but it keeps breaking all the time. Will have to take another look at it...

38 minutes ago, fabian said:

I don't think it's the source port's job to make the game look as if it was played on a different screen. There are alterantive palettes available which aim to achieve this, e.g.:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/pal_plus

Well, since many ports implement gamma corrections which make the game brighter I thought it would be nice to have the polar opposite offered by some of them too in order to simulate the feel and look of the CRT-induced darkness of the original, even if it's never going to be the same. I think Jovian Palette was more accurate but I could be wrong.

Eh, whatever, at least I tried, if it's "no" then it's "no" :v.

38 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Eh, whatever, at least I tried, if it's "no" then it's "no" :v.

The point is that you will most probably achieve a much better and more fine-grained visual improvement by loading an external PLAYPAL (and COLORMAP, that is) than I could achieve by extrapolating the gamma ramp within the engine.

Damn sorry to bring up this issue again, but a day after a make a post thinking it's fixed, I'm getting that weird music volume slider bug on Windows 10 again.

Tried copying and pasting the SDL2, SDL2 mixer, and SDL2 net dlls from chocolate doom 3.0.0 but that did no good.

Neither did setting use_libsamplerate to 0 or libsampleratescale to 1.

I fixed the issue with Crispy 5.3, but I can't seem to with 5.4

1 hour ago, chowbar said:

Damn sorry to bring up this issue again, but a day after a make a post thinking it's fixed, I'm getting that weird music volume slider bug on Windows 10 again.

Tried copying and pasting the SDL2, SDL2 mixer, and SDL2 net dlls from chocolate doom 3.0.0 but that did no good.

Neither did setting use_libsamplerate to 0 or libsampleratescale to 1.

I fixed the issue with Crispy 5.3, but I can't seem to with 5.4

Have you tried one of the daily builds because those are working perfectly for me without fixing. http://latest.chocolate-doom.org/

Thanks Fabian!

19 hours ago, Dwaze said:

Have you tried one of the daily builds because those are working perfectly for me without fixing. http://latest.chocolate-doom.org/

Thanks Fabian!

Ok excuse the super dumb question, but when I extract the zip, I keep getting a Windows error "Cannot access the specified device, path, or file".

I have full permissions on my PC so I'm baffled.

On 1/3/2019 at 3:35 PM, fabian said:

Again, would this be another line in the HUD or would it be sufficient to have this as a player message (updated each tic) for a given amount of time?

I don't know exactly what kind of text can be printed but somewhat small text with the exact coordinates. Can be toggled on/off from a key. Refreshes the coordinates every frame.

Edit: what, I just read the previous page but I think I had it loaded from memory because I didn't saw so many new posts. My bad. *goes back to reading the posts, though looking good*

Edit2: Yeah, great. Looks excellent! Awesome!

Ah yeah, actually I think the coordinates would be perfect if it show them a bit similar like here:

JWj0uNa.png

So as you can see, there's only 3 digits for the coordinates, but it shows the remainder as the map units. For example: X = -500.006. This means 419/65536 = 0.006

Same for Y coordinate: 22548 / 65536 = 0.344. This is not necessary though, but I think it would be just a bit better.

3 hours ago, Looper said:

Ah yeah, actually I think the coordinates would be perfect if it show them a bit similar like here:

I don't have many fonts to choose from. Basically, there is the HUD font, which features a nearly complete set of glyphs and there is the status bar font which only has digits, but neither interpunctation nor any letters. I am using the latter for the demo timer in the upper right corner, but I think it is unsuitable for displaying coordinates.

3 hours ago, Looper said:

So as you can see, there's only 3 digits for the coordinates, but it shows the remainder as the map units. For example: X = -500.006. This means 419/65536 = 0.006

Same for Y coordinate: 22548 / 65536 = 0.344. This is not necessary though, but I think it would be just a bit better.

What do you mean by "not necessary"? I am printing coordinates with 10 digits for the remainder (because you asked for it) and they are fractions of map units just as you describe above.

The font is good, nothing wrong with it. The way X and Y coordinates are shown is very good, nothing to complain. I was just suggesting alternative way to show the coordinates. What I meant with "not necessary" is that it would not provide any additional information.

The different way of displaying the coordinates would be to not have as many digits, but rather just three, and then have the "x-coordinate mod 65536" shown as the second number.

For example the screenshot you show us has "X = -69.3374481201". The other way to display this X-coordinate would be: "X = 69.337 22115". Displaying it this way is not necessary though since the way it is shown in the picture already has this information, and yes, the way coordinates are shown in the picture is the way I asked it. Thanks!

Excuse me but is there Any chance to see a build with the monster secret stats anytime soon? Or is it of the table.

I am checking daily.. @fabian

Edited by doomaddict82

50 minutes ago, doomaddict82 said:

Excuse me but is there Any chance to see a build with the monster secret stats anytime soon? Or is it of the table.

I am checking daily.. @fabian

You mean like this? 

Wow I'm a dummy and I just figured out that Avast was blocking access to the daily build.

@Dwaze you are totally right, the latest crispy build no longer has that music volume slider bug.

Still had to set libsamplerate to 1, but that's a personal preference really.

Thank you @fabian!

Crispy Heretic
Another silent crash, maybe it's interesting:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/g-i/humpmini

E2M5, near the beginning of the map: go forward and to the right into the door that is behind the crossbow, after the dark area I have crash on Chocolate/Crispy Heretic in sector 73 here. It happens to me on the Crispy Heretic 3.2 and some newer exe versions on WinXP, without error messages and entries in stderr.txt and stdout.txt. Not sure, how this problem is reproduced on the new OS.

Edited by PVS

12 hours ago, PVS said:

after the dark area I have crash on Chocolate/Crispy Heretic in sector 73 here.

It crashes in R_DrawMaskedColumn() which gets called from R_RenderMaskedSegRange(). Looks like a Medusa to me. Are there any multi-patched mid-textures in this area?

Oh yes, there are meduses, near the blue key door. To tell the truth, I saw them earlier on this map, but forgot about them. But this is the first time when I see that meduses lead to the engine crash, usually not. In any case, thanks for looking at this problem, everything is clear here - need remove all meduses, they not for vanilla engine.

Interesting moment, Crispy Heretic 3.2 running on WinME - not crash in sector 73 on this map, it freezes a little, yes, but doesn’t crash, here they are, these meduses:

HTIC00.png.f2fe12f3ca9e65f5cd729cfeb50087db.png

It depends on how high the chances are to find a 0xff byte past the column's location in memory without leaving the allocated zone.

Is there something wrong with support for Chex Quest? Because when I try to run a .bat file with commands like "-iwad chex.wad" and/or "-gameversion chex" I just see cmd.exe hanging around for a few seconds before closing itself. Loading it as a PWAD for Ultimate Doom works, but then I have access to the episode selection menu, which isn't supposed to happen.

edit: I see the IWAD being acknowledged when I choose the "warp" function in the setup program, but doing things that way still doesn't lead to the program starting. If it helps, I'm not having any similar problems with HacX.

1 hour ago, SiFi270 said:

Because when I try to run a .bat file with commands like "-iwad chex.wad" and/or "-gameversion chex" I just see cmd.exe hanging around for a few seconds before closing itself.

I am not seeing any problems here. Could you please make sure you are using the correct IWAD: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/CHEX.WAD

Command Prompt didn't do anything other than what's shown in the attachment. Typing "crispy doom -iwad (anything else).wad" or running a .bat file along those lines will still work though. Neither of the std* files seem to have been modified since May last year.

Before your reply, I also tried installing the latest version from the link you shared near the top of the page, and that seems to be having the same problem with any IWAD unless I specify it in command prompt or by using the setup program's warp function, but even those still won't let me play Chex Quest.

fishycrispy.png