Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

On 6/24/2019 at 11:02 PM, UNERXAi said:

@fabian Sorry to ask again but I didn't get any reply to my previous question.

Sorry, I am still not sure I completely understand your issue. The "-episode 2" parameter with Doom 2 only makes sense if Crispy has auto-loaded the NERVE.WAD PWAD file - which, in turn, it only does if it can find the menu graphics lumps which are required to draw the "Which Episode?" menu in Doom 2. One of the provider of these menu graphics lumps is the DOOM2.WAD IWAD file that comes with the Doom 3 BFG Edition. The necessary lumps are *not* included in NERVE.WAD itself.

The next question is how you tell Crispy to load that IWAD. There are some directories that Crispy searches by default for IWADs and it stops searching as soon as it has found a suitable one. So, you either make sure that the IWAD that you prefer is found first by the engine - or you explicitly specify it by using the "-iwad" parameter.

Please ask back if things are still unclear.

@fabian Hi. Yeah the issue was loading the BFG iwad itself, which was confusing at first because I was used to just write, say, "crispy-doom.exe -iwad doom2.wad" in the cmd and I didn't know how to explicitly specify a file in a particular folder (since both iwads have the same name). I solved it by manually writing the actual path to the BFG iwad in the cmd. Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but i'll ask anyways.

Crispy Doom audio seems a little low?

For example, Chocolate Doom weapons are loud and punchy, and in Crispy I can't even hear the shotgun most of the time.

I have both audio settings maxed out and my Windows Mixer at 100%. Crispy Doom 5.5.2.

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT:

Found the issue. Changed "use_libsamplerate" to "0" in "crispy-doom.cfg".

This little option messes with the whole sound balance.

Edited by Soothe

@fabian I'm having a problem where my window won't grab the mouse and it drifts all around my desktop when I'm trying to look around. I've tried all the mouse settings, changed resolution, capped framerate, disabled vsync, nothing works and I can't figure out why.

Update August 1st, 2019: Crispy Doom 5.6 is released!

Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatible with the original.

Crispy Doom 5.6 has been released on August 1, 2019. This release features support for the new Ultimate Doom Episode 5: Sigil by John Romero (with its MP3 soundtrack by Buckethead) and the Doom Metal Vol. 5 metal soundtrack mod for all IWADs.

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.6/crispy-doom-5.6-win32.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

Fuck yeah, new Crispy ver! Solid update - barrel brightmaps, new hud colors and ExM8 tally screens! Great work @fabian and props to everyone providing great suggestions.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:52 AM, ZeroMaster010 said:

show player coords needs to be marked as TAS or a cheat to make this clear.

Please remove the option to show coordinates outside of the automap altogether next time, nobody has any use for this information besides speedrunners and the disctinction between TAS and non-TAS is completely nonexistent.

Does this also apply to the coarse coordinates in the automap or only the high resolution IDMYPOS coordinates? 

Only the show player coordinates: always option, though I completely forgot you can also use a transparent automap to essentially get the same info. I'd be happy with only removing the high resolution IDMYPOS coordinates on screen since opening up the automap and making it transparent is a lot more obscure than some option where someone new would simply react with "oh, this seems useful". IDMYPOS is a cheat and should therefore not be used for demo recording, much in the same way as IDDT IDDT gives crazy advantage for uv-max demos, a simple option to enable it does not make that clear.

Alright. I'd like to keep the "Show Player Coordinates: Always" option functional, because it shows only very coarse coordinates, but helps mappers identify critical points in their maps which they can relate to editor coordinates. I can revert the IDMYPOS cheat back to the original Vanilla behavior, sure. I can make this and IDDT single-player only if this is more comfortable for you.

Windows XP hmm. You could first try making sure you have full graphics-accelerated drivers as up to date as you can get them. And beyond that, attempt setting "force_software_render 1" in crispy-doom.cfg

Failing that... you are probably one of very few trying to run it on Windows XP. There may just be a further bug preventing its use.

It worked thanks.

The only source port I havn't tried is DOOM RETRO.. it sounds like a promising port, I get a error that says "Unable to process ID Kernel32" or something like that, and I tried somany doom retro versions.

I get kernel on older versions of crispy doom too, but the latest one just worked after trying the suggestion you gave me.

EDIT:

How do i set sound fx to soundblaster??  like in dosbox doom..

For Music i chose Adlib,

cool port.. cool port indeed & crispy visuals.

EDIT #2

The game runs to slow.. 

untitled.PNG

10/10 I like this port.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

11 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

How do i set sound fx to soundblaster??  like in dosbox doom.. 

Just choose digital sound effects. Sound effects are just PCM samples, they sound the same in vanilla Doom regardless of hardware.

11 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

The game runs to slow.. 

If you used the force_software_render option, yes it will be slower than hardware acceleration. if you can, try to make sure fullscreen_width and fullscreen_height are set to some reasonable values (such as 640 and 480, or 800 and 600) that your monitor and CPU handle well. Experimentation will be required.

I had it running windowed on 640x480 and it didn't run to well on my end here.  800x600 was the same thing.

I'll try the previous versions and see what happens. 

Try 320x240 windowed or fullscreen.

I have a lab rat laptop that I use to test client side connections on various source ports with, but its video chipset is pretty weak.

Try an even lower res if updating your video drivers doesn't help.

You could also try, renaming your crispy-doom.cfg to something like crispy-doom_OLD.cfg and re-run Crispy-Doom.

See if it's stock settings were changed to something that wouldn't had otherwise suited your computer setup too well.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

On 7/9/2018 at 11:31 AM, fabian said:

The problem seems to be that once a frame has been drawn to screen, the next frame is rendered immediately after, but then has to wait for the next VSync until it gets drawn to screen. So, there is always a certain several-ms lag between the rendering of the scene and its drawing to screen. I am not sure how to fix that, though. :(

I'm in the "uncapped + vsync@60 = input lag" camp. I'm aware of Vsync's inherent input lag, but I have no issue with simple double buffered types.

Note that I'm on Win7 and I disabled desktop compositor (Aero/DWM.exe), don't have an x-Sync Monitor, and no Vsync of any type is forced from NV control panel.

I tested all 4 possible combinations, and on any with Vsync with Crispy, there is input lag (okay, maybe it's too hard to notice with 35hz+Vsync, but that's not the issue here). I've additionally tried capping with external tool (MSI AB) to 60FPS, using uncapped+Vsync = input lag.

I've educated myself with rendering interpolation from https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Uncapped_framerate

Now, in GZDoom with HW renderer (had to use it for cross-referencing), any combination with cl_capfps (rendering interpolation), vid_vsync (Vsync) and vid_maxfps (max FPS when rendering=/=engine tics) it NEVER resulted in noticeable input lag.

I don't know if they've implemented additional interpolation techniques, different Vsync/buffering, different mouse input handling, different HW accelerated render, whatever, it really isn't there or not enough for me to notice it, compared to Crispy with Vsync.

Using crispy-doom-20190805-win32.

On 8/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, fabian said:

Yes, but it's still work in progress and far from finished:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/wiki/Crispness

Thanks, "Weapon Attack Alignment" and "Show Revealed Secrets: Count" are the ones I don't understand.

I'm also having issue with getting GUS/MIDI to work:

1. Do I need to install TiMidity/TiMidity++ for MIDI?

2. I've tried both MIDI without cfg/patches and GUS without patches - they sound the same, I presume both fall back to Windows GS Wavetable synth?

3. I've downloaded the recommended GUS patches, but they come with configs, so are they to be used with GUS option for patches or MIDI option for config?

4. I've tried a simple timidity.cfg with "soundfont drive:\path_to_sf\file.sf2", but nothing changes acoustically?

PS: I see that Choc/Crispy will automatically pull GUS patches from D3BFG edition, so I removed "classicmusic" folder, and again, no difference in sound.

PS: Don't take any of this personally, I'm just here to make things miserable and I like Crispy.

Edited by 2mg

@fabian I noticed a crash on SIGIL's secret level in Crispy. I recorded it using SIGIL_COMPAT.wad on PRBoom+. I'm not sure if it's exclusive to Crispy but I haven't seen it anywhere else -- seems like if you try to activate the red door more than once from below, while the platform is lowered, the game crashes.

sglcrash.zip

I am currently on a one week vacation with my family. No computer, just a phone. So you'll get some more detailed replies in about a week. 

@maxmanium This issue has been reported before but was fixed in the 5.6 release. Could you please make sure you are running the latest version? 

57 minutes ago, fabian said:

@maxmanium This issue has been reported before but was fixed in the 5.6 release. Could you please make sure you are running the latest version? 

Yeah, it's still happening for me on 5.6.

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/issues/1010

So I was browsing the github like I usually do and ran into this (and the subsequent link to a closed issue in Crispy there). Does fullscreen_width/height still work in Crispy to set the game to 1728x1080? Because I also noticed this a while ago.

And how exactly does that actually work if so? Does it actually change the resolution to that, or is it still 640x400?

@fabian Thank you for adding the option of having Sigil in the menu as episode 5.

Be pretty awesome if you could do the same for Doom 2 with No Rest for the Living and Master Levels.

That possible with those ?

Master Levels would only really work well if you use the amalgamated WAD made for XBLA and PSN.

6 hours ago, braders1986 said:

Be pretty awesome if you could do the same for Doom 2 with No Rest for the Living and Master Levels.

An episode selection menu for NRFTL is a feature since Crispy 1.0, but you need to provide the menu graphics lumps for that. The BFG Edition IWADs usually contain those. 

There is also some limited support for the all-in-one masterlevels.wad, but no menu or similar since this PWAD doesn't contain any more assets than the maps themselves. 

On 8/10/2019 at 10:23 PM, maxmanium said:

Yeah, it's still happening for me on 5.6.

I cannot reproduce this with 5.6, it simply doesn't crash when playing back the demo you attached.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:22 PM, seed said:

And how exactly does that actually work if so? Does it actually change the resolution to that, or is it still 640x400?

The framebuffer resolution will always be 640x400 (or 320x200, respectively), so this only affects the way it will be scaled on your screen. The widescreen rendering option in Crispy is still a pipe dream, not a single line of code has been written.

18 minutes ago, fabian said:

The framebuffer resolution will always be 640x400 (or 320x200, respectively), so this only affects the way it will be scaled on your screen. The widescreen rendering option in Crispy is still a pipe dream, not a single line of code has been written.

Hm, interesting.

Actual high resolutions support would have been pretty cool though.