Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

1 hour ago, fabian said:

I cannot reproduce this with 5.6, it simply doesn't crash when playing back the demo you attached.

That's odd, it must be something with my system then. Thanks though.

Could you please send me your config? And a savegame of the moment when I have to press the USE key?

On 8/5/2019 at 8:11 PM, ZeroMaster010 said:

IDMYPOS is a cheat and should therefore not be used for demo recording, much in the same way as IDDT

I have slept over this. Using IDMYPOS and IDDT is even possible with Vanilla DOOM.EXE when recording a demo. Nobody would ever notice... I don't want my port to be "worse" in this regard and have the turning-off of these cheats be considered a regression. I think it's already a fine line to cross that I have disabled the cheats that would inevitably cause desync. If you want to teach speed runners to play fair, I think castrating source ports if the wrong solution. Especially, since we are living in an open source world, people could easily just change one byte in the source code and have this reverted - and again, nobody would ever notice...

8 hours ago, fabian said:

Does anybody else get a crash when playing back this demo with SIGIL_COMPAT.wad?

I do. With both today's Crispy build and 5.6. Today's Chocolate doesn't crash!

21 hours ago, maxmanium said:

That's odd, it must be something with my system then. Thanks though.

I also experience the crash, on Windows 7 Professional SP1.

UPDATE: @fabian, I caught it, it happens with Misc. Sound Fixes on.

Edited by Zodomaniac

1 hour ago, Zodomaniac said:

I do. With both today's Crispy build and 5.6. Today's Chocolate doesn't crash!

I also experience the crash, on Windows 7 Professional SP1.

UPDATE: @fabian, I caught it, it happens with Misc. Sound Fixes on.

Wow, good catch! I never would have guessed!

Found and fixed!

Thanks for your pointers. Apparently, this issue was hidden by 64-bit pointer size, because the Windows binaries are built as 32-bit and my Linux builds are all 64-bit (the pointer size determines the size of the vldoor_t and plat_t structs).

On 8/17/2019 at 11:28 PM, fabian said:

I have slept over this. Using IDMYPOS and IDDT is even possible with Vanilla DOOM.EXE when recording a demo. Nobody would ever notice... I don't want my port to be "worse" in this regard and have the turning-off of these cheats be considered a regression. I think it's already a fine line to cross that I have disabled the cheats that would inevitably cause desync. If you want to teach speed runners to play fair, I think castrating source ports if the wrong solution. Especially, since we are living in an open source world, people could easily just change one byte in the source code and have this reverted - and again, nobody would ever notice...

Do you not see the difference between typing in a cheat code vs enabling an option? One of them it is clearly obvious that you are using a cheat, the other it is not, how do you not see the problem I am having here? Yes, you can use cheats in vanilla without detection, but at least you know you are cheating, which is absolutely not the case here.

I never asked IDDT to be changed, I just used it as an example. There are plenty of more effective ways to cheat, I just want it to be clear what is cheating and what is not.

And if you refuse to change it then can you at least do as I originally suggested? "show player coords needs to be marked as TAS or a cheat to make this clear." simply put TAS in text next to the option or whatever works for you.

Edited by ZeroMaster010

On 8/10/2019 at 12:08 AM, 2mg said:

Thanks, "Weapon Attack Alignment" and "Show Revealed Secrets: Count" are the ones I don't understand.

@2mg

I added more descriptions to the Crispness wiki page.

@ZeroMaster010 Sorry, I misunderstood you! I assumed that you wanted me to also disable even the non-desyncing cheat codes during demo recording. So, all you want me to disable is the "Show Player Coords: Always" option?

I found a minor bug -- if you enter IDBEHOLD0 after having entered IDBEHOLDI for partial invisibility, it disables the fuzz effect but it does not restore the monsters' normal aiming/sprite angle behavior.

7 minutes ago, fabian said:

@ZeroMaster010 Sorry, I misunderstood you! I assumed that you wanted me to also disable even the non-desyncing cheat codes during demo recording. So, all you want me to disable is the "Show Player Coords: Always" option?

Yes, that's all I wanted, heh.

I understand the reason for the change, but I'm disappointed at it all the same, and should have spoke up about it sooner. The coordinates might not have much use in single player mode, but it coop they might be helpful as in "I'm at (insert coordinates here)"

1 minute ago, Danfun64 said:

I understand the reason for the change, but I'm disappointed at it all the same, and should have spoke up about it sooner. The coordinates might not have much use in single player mode, but it coop they might be helpful as in "I'm at (insert coordinates here)"

You may still read them from the automap. I understand the sheer possibility to have them visible all the time may be considered as cheating. 

10 hours ago, fabian said:

You may still read them from the automap.

I can add 'Overlayed automap', in this mode you will have them on-screen with the game and the automap as well, so the co-op shouldn't suffer.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier!

On 8/9/2019 at 11:08 PM, 2mg said:

I'm in the "uncapped + vsync@60 = input lag" camp.

I am afraid, there isn't much I can do about this. The feedback for playing with both uncapped framerate and vsync enabled is mostly "butter smooth" (also for me, though on Linux) - but there are always a few for which it lacks. The reason for this could be anywhere between your mouse's native resolution, your mouse driver or some setting, your Windows version, SDL or even the port itself - but I have no idea what exactly.

Thanks, "Weapon Attack Alignment" and "Show Revealed Secrets: Count" are the ones I don't understand.

@Zodomaniac has been working on completing the Crispness wiki page. Thanks for that!

I'm also having issue with getting GUS/MIDI to work:

Sorry, but I have never used this feature myself. It is merely inherited from Chocolate Doom so I am referencing you to its documentation instead:

https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/GUS

PS: Don't take any of this personally, I'm just here to make things miserable and I like Crispy.

I have never felt it like that. Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Update August 23, 2019: Crispy Doom 5.6.1 is released!

Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatible with the original.

Crispy Doom 5.6.1 has been released on August 23, 2019. It is dedicated to hotfixing the bugs reported by the community after the 5.6 release.

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.6.1/crispy-doom-5.6.1-win32.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

Does anyone else have this bug?

Version 5.6 doesn't have it.

Version of Crispy Doom: 5.6.1

Operating System and version: Windows 7 Professional SP1

Game: Doom, Doom 2

Loaded WADs and mods: crispy-doom.exe (-iwad doom.wad) -merge DoomMetalVol5(or 4)_44100.wad

Bug description

Observed behavior: In IWAD intrinsic demos the title track is played, not the level soundtrack. This occurs with music PWADs only, and SIGIL.WAD has nothing to do with it, I remove it and nothing changes.

Expected behavior: In demos, the level soundtracks should be played.

Video

On 8/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, fabian said:

I am afraid, there isn't much I can do about this. The feedback for playing with both uncapped framerate and vsync enabled is mostly "butter smooth" (also for me, though on Linux) - but there are always a few for which it lacks. The reason for this could be anywhere between your mouse's native resolution, your mouse driver or some setting, your Windows version, SDL or even the port itself - but I have no idea what exactly.

Yes, there are many factors that can influence that. Apart from the mentioned above it can also be due to the 60 Hz setting itself. Doom is rendered internally at 35 fps, so, in theory, any multiple of that should be fine--60 fps is not a multiple of 35 fps, so there will always be some additional trade-off, including some amount of input and animation lag.

In practice, I have found the sweet spot to be 71 fps/Hz because, at 70 fps, even the tiniest slow-down causes slight lagging while at 72 fps, too many frames are rendered, also resulting in a slightly laggy feeling. This is especially noticeable with demanding smooth animation mods for GZDoom, but even less demanding ones, like the Black Ops and Smoothed mods that work with Crispy, may profit from a 71 fps setting.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the obvious... Of course, the above only works with a display that supports such frequencies. My desktop monitor supports up to 74/75 Hz, depending on the set resolution. I can set it to 70, 71, or 72 Hz at any resolution, so it's quite okay for Doom.

Edited by Get Phobo

There seems to be a pause after you complete a level in this version. For me, after I end a level I notice that the game pauses longer than it did in previous versions before doing the melting effect and showing the level stats.

To me it doesn't seem like it is because when I mash the space bar to have the level stats show up and to start the next level ASAP I notice that there is a delay or pause before I can actually make the level stats show up.