Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 5.6.2 (Update: Sep 13, 2019)

Recommended Posts

Revisiting Scythe is a blast with this source port. I probably should be playing Chocolate Doom with vanilla wads but I like the advanced options. Map26 of Scythe doesn't really play that well in the faithfully strict limits of Chocolate Doom because of the sprite limit, heh. I have a question regarding the show kills/items/secrets option.

kQkbB3I.png

Is there an option to remove the information in the green box in the picture above while having K/I/S on? I find it a bit distracting when checking the automap. It shows an entire string of where the wad file is located that surpasses my in-game screen resolution. I'm also reminded that I don't have the cutest Windows profile name.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Keaton said:

 Downloaded the latest daily build at the time and the issue was gone.

 

This gets reported over and over again. Thus, I decided that I will not build Windows releases myself anymore. Instead, from the next version on, a Windows release will be the daily build from the day the GIT tag was pushed.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Swalzi said:

 It shows an entire string of where the wad file is located that surpasses my in-game screen resolution. I'm also reminded that I don't have the cutest Windows profile name.

 

It is supposed to show the WAD file's *basename*, i.e. everything after the last path separator. Do you have any forward slashes in your path or are you using a POSIX shell like e.g. MSYS2's bash?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Keaton said:

Downloaded the 5.4 binary from the GitHub but kept getting consistent stuttering/hitching every few seconds. Happened with both limited and uncapped framerate as well as with Vsync on and off and in windowed and fullscreen, nothing fixed it. Downloaded the latest daily build at the time and the issue was gone.

 

Now that someone else mentioned this, I also had a similar experience on my W10 machine with both 5.4 and Choco 3.0.0. Turning on uncapped framerate and v sync off fixed it in 5.4, but the autobuilds I downloaded a few days ago for both ports are butter smooth. Something changed, and whatever that was it seems to have done a lot of good, at least on my end.

Share this post


Link to post

Interestingly, the autobuilds are built against and packaged with pretty outdated SDL libraries. But now that its SDL_Mixer library got support for MP3 playback, I consider it suitable for Crispy releases.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, fabian said:

Interestingly, the autobuilds are built against and packaged with pretty outdated SDL libraries. But now that its SDL_Mixer library got support for MP3 playback, I consider it suitable for Crispy releases.

 

Interesting.

 

Perhaps something broke in the newer libraries which makes it running a bit worse than it does with older versions. I wonder what that something is.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, fabian said:

 

This gets reported over and over again. Thus, I decided that I will not build Windows releases myself anymore. Instead, from the next version on, a Windows release will be the daily build from the day the GIT tag was pushed.


Yeah i just quickly glossed over a few pages of the thread and didn't spot any posts of it so i thought i would mention it.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, fabian said:

 

It is supposed to show the WAD file's *basename*, i.e. everything after the last path separator. Do you have any forward slashes in your path or are you using a POSIX shell like e.g. MSYS2's bash?


Yes, I have forward slashes in my directory path. I launch Crispy Doom along with a pwad with ZDL 3.2.2.3 launcher.

I ran a pwad in the Crispy-Doom-Setup and that solves the minor problem that I had with showing my entire directory path to the pwad. When I run a pwad with just the Crispy-Doom-Setup.exe, it shows just the basename.

Share this post


Link to post

Minor problems and not sure if it's attended. Once it hits 1 hour the time result re positioned in the wrong way

This is what it looks like!
v
994592050_positioninthewrongway.jpg.8e629a6b1895fcfd02fb063eb029539f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Chickensoup101 said:

Minor problems and not sure if it's attended. Once it hits 1 hour the time result re positioned in the wrong way

 

That's on purpose. Once you have hit the 1:00:00 barrier, it is impossible to align the "Total" time with the level time on the left, so it gets aligned with the "Par" time on the right instead.

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, fabian said:

 

That's on purpose. Once you have hit the 1:00:00 barrier, it is impossible to align the "Total" time with the level time on the left, so it gets aligned with the "Par" time on the right instead.


Oh i see, i thought it's an error. 

Share this post


Link to post

Any chance to add on/off switch for "Show milliseconds" in the intermission screen for level time? So for example 5.97 instead of just "5".

For example, press F10 or some other key to toggle it on/off, just for the intermission screen.... sometimes you don't wanna know the milliseconds, sometimes you do.

 

 

Also, there seems to be some tiny desync in Dime's movie run, related to crispy doom. A bit more info here:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Some more info here and here. (Note: for "crash" read "crush".)

 

May not be generally fixable. As Andrey says:

Quote

Chocolate-Doom should always work correctly in such cases IMO, because it did not touch the memory manager and the sizes of all internal data.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Looper said:

Any chance to add on/off switch for "Show milliseconds" in the intermission screen for level time? So for example 5.97 instead of just "5".

I would love this as well.

 

Also is it possible to have an option to turn off mouse during the menus, I often select the wrong menus because I moved my mouse.

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Looper said:

Any chance to add on/off switch for "Show milliseconds" in the intermission screen for level time? So for example 5.97 instead of just "5".

 

Hm, I could offer to show the demo timer (if enabled) on the intermission screen. How about that?

 

21 hours ago, Looper said:

Also, there seems to be some tiny desync in Dime's movie run, related to crispy doom. A bit more info here:

 

This seems to be related to uninitialized memory usage. Not sure how to act on this one... :-/

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, fabian said:

Hm, I could offer to show the demo timer (if enabled) on the intermission screen. How about that?

 

I suggested the milliseconds the way I did because if I want to speedrun Doom 2 Map01 for example, I know all of my attempts will be "5 seconds", but how to know which one is the fastest? The only way is to open each demo file and check it manually. It's very annoying beacuse you can make 1 demo every 10 seconds, but now you have to check every demo because you don't know the exact time. This means it takes a lot of time to check the exact time compared to the actual speedrunning, about 40% of the total time spent. If the time was shown initially in milliseconds in the intermission screen, you would never have to open the demo file to check, which would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, fabian said:

How about this (mind the upper right corner)?

DOOM0001.png.517ffeb5495770e4639257dd3688975b.png

 

Yep, it's great!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Looper said:

Yep, it's great!

Cool, thanks. You need to have the demo timer widget during recording enabled, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post

I've just noticed that when playing the Master Levels, the automap gives them level names based on where they're placed in the Doom Classic Complete version, so for example, Canyon is still labeled map01, but in the line beneath that says "Level 2: Canyon". Is this hinting at future plans for supporting the whole collection as though it were one mapset, or is that already done? I suppose it may actually be a Chocolate Doom feature that Crispy Doom has inherited, but I doubt it because it doesn't sound especially chocolatey.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

I've just noticed that when playing the Master Levels, the automap gives them level names based on where they're placed in the Doom Classic Complete version, so for example, Canyon is still labeled map01, but in the line beneath that says "Level 2: Canyon".

 

Yes, Crispy supports "masterlevels.wad" as a PWAD, at least as far as map names and level progression goes (my aim is to support all officially released WAD files -- not counting alpha/beta pre-releases and console ports, though). I admit it is a bit confusing to read "Level 2" on MAP01, but this is just the canonical level order.

 

23 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

Is this hinting at future plans for supporting the whole collection as though it were one mapset, or is that already done?

 

No, there are no such plans. But you may combine the individual files into the monolithic PWAD with this tool:

https://github.com/Doom-Utils/iwad-patches/tree/master/master-levels

 

23 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

I suppose it may actually be a Chocolate Doom feature that Crispy Doom has inherited, but I doubt it because it doesn't sound especially chocolatey.

 

Erm, no. Choco has -- surprise! -- as much support for the master levels as Vanilla: none! ;-)

 

Share this post


Link to post

So after patching my Ultimate Doom IWAD to the Xbox version thanks to that link you provided above, I found that if you beat E1M10, the blood splat marking its place is only there for that intermission, and disappears when you then beat E1M2, unlike the one that appears after finding and beating E1M9.

Share this post


Link to post

I think I encountered a bug. When I was cycling through the aspect ratios the screen randomly went black, until I pressed enter again and it went back to normal. I did some testing and found that the bug occurs randomly; can be any of the aspect ratios, or sometimes it will change successfully the first time on the first cycle but will go black on the second cycle.

Edited by UNERXAi

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/23/2019 at 1:29 PM, SiFi270 said:

So after patching my Ultimate Doom IWAD to the Xbox version thanks to that link you provided above, I found that if you beat E1M10, the blood splat marking its place is only there for that intermission, and disappears when you then beat E1M2, unlike the one that appears after finding and beating E1M9.

 

Yes, I know, support for this is quite limited. The problem is that there is only one boolean variable `didsecret` that checks if the secret map in an episode has been found and this role is of course reserved for E1M9. I would have to change the code in quite some places in order to add support for this very special use case (non-standard IWAD, non-standard level progression) and thus I decided against it so far. As a fun fact, the blood splat is E2M1's splat drawn on the E1 map, because it overflows the splat coordinates array. ;-)

 

14 minutes ago, UNERXAi said:

I think I encountered a bug. When I was cycling through the aspect ratios the screen randomly went black, until I pressed enter again and it went back to normal. I did some testing and found that the bug occurs randomly; can be any of the aspect ratios, or sometimes it will change successfully the first time on the first cycle but will go black on the second cycle.

 

I think I have fixed this shortly after the release. Would you mind testing the latest daily build, please? http://latest.chocolate-doom.org/

 

Share this post


Link to post

Downloaded the file provided and indeed the bug's not there. Guess I was using an old version.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello!

Since today, i have issue with Crispy Doom 5.3. Pitch sound is way too higher. I have the original zip file, I unzip it and there is still the problem. I see everything in the configuration file, pitchshift value is 0, everything looks fine. If you wanna ear that:

 

Btw, i downloaded latest version of crispy doom (5.4), sound is fixed, but the game freeze every 3-4 second, and up key doesnt work in menu. see that:

 

 

 

For information, i've downloaded the last Nvidia Update yesterday (i have a 1060).

 

Hope it can help for bugfixes :)

 

Thank!

 

ps: Chocolate doom; pr boom; cndoom; crispy doom 4.0 work fine

Edited by S6kana

Share this post


Link to post

UpdateFebruary 27, 2019: Crispy Doom 5.5 is released!


Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatible with the original.

 

Crispy Doom 5.5 has been released on February 27, 2019. This is another release which mostly addresses community suggestions. Forceful setting of the SDL_AUDIODRIVER variable on Windows has been dropped. Windows "releases" from 5.5 onward will be based on the daily builds and use their SDL libraries with the default audio backend.

 

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.5/crispy-doom-5.5-win32.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

Share this post


Link to post

Got back into some serious Doom-playing after a bit of a hiatus and I have to say I'm absolutely loving Crispy Doom, which has now become my main source port as I'm really just into classic vanilla-style gameplay rather than crazy mods. As great as Cholocate Doom is, the low resolution and capped framerate are just a bit too much for my taste these days, so Crispy is absolutely perfect.

 

Did however just want to report a weird issue I had last night with 5.4: I was playing through Icarus: Alien Vanguard (map 20 to be specific) and experienced a crash where initially the music got "stuck" and just repeated the same couple of notes over and over, while the rest of the audio completely disappeared (although I could still actually play the game). I then hit esc to open up the menu, and the game crashed completely (albeit with the split second of music still repeating over and over). I wasn't even able to Alt-Tab out or end the program with the task manager (Windows 10), and eventually had to perform a hard-reset of my laptop.

 

I've played through the entirety of Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Memento Mori over the last couple of weeks with Crispy, and this was the first time I've experienced the issue (or indeed any issue). Not sure if there's an obvious problem here or not but thought I'd mention it!

Edited by blackthorn

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×