Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

@fabian Hmm, some odd behavior. When I replaced the .exe in the existing folder and tested, changing Vsync resulted in a black screen that was unresponsive. I decided to unzip a fresh copy of 5.4 and replace the .exe with the new version, and that *seemed* to work without fault, but upon disabling Smooth Pixel Scaling toggling Vsync black screens again (no crash). My original 5.4 folder that black screened had nothing added or changed except the ingame option for Smooth Pixel Scaling.

I just tested again and it seems that regardless of the Smooth Pixel Scaling setting I can reproduce the black screen by toggling Vsync upon opening a new instance of Crispy Doom, and verified that it occurs both fullscreen and windowed mode, at the title screen and ingame.

@fabian Sure, I tested the new executable with a fresh install. Now toggling Vsync off without disabling Smooth Pixel Scaling works (no crash or black screen), but immediately re-enabling Vsync results in a crash. Attempting to disable Smooth Pixel Scaling first results in the same behavior (disable Vsync > no crash, re-enable Vsync > crash). Again this occurs in both fullscreen and windowed mode.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	crispy-doom.exe
  Application Version:	5.4.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	5c1a572d
  Fault Module Name:	SDL2.dll
  Fault Module Version:	2.0.9.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	00000000
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00068778
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	2057
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Any chance of giving the option back for WASAPI ?

I use an external DAC with a decent 2.1 setup, and Direct Sound is inferior in every way due to it not allowing my own equipment to process the audio.

Direct Sound is terrible in everything and should always be a last resort.

On 12/19/2018 at 9:50 AM, fabian said:

However, if this comes to light now, after several years of this feature existing, is this mouse binding actually needed at all or do you people use only the keyboard to perform 180° turns?

I wanted to bind it on my mouse hence I found the bug. I am not particularly looking for the bugs.

16 hours ago, braders1986 said:

Any chance of giving the option back for WASAPI ?

Sure, you may set the SDL_AUDIODRIVER environment variable to "wasapi" to override the default.

https://wiki.libsdl.org/FAQUsingSDL

14 hours ago, Looper said:

I wanted to bind it on my mouse hence I found the bug. I am not particularly looking for the bugs.

I didn't mean it that way, I am glad and thankful for any bug that you find and report!

I was just wondering: I added the mouse binding on 2 Apr 2016 [*] and apparently it was dysfunctional from the first day. If you are the first to report this some 2.5 years later, does it even make sense to keep and fix this binding or should I just remove it again and be done with it? The keyboard binding would stay, of course.

[*] https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/4b9034c13f6ac160e6e76ea6fe8311c506ecf64d

5 hours ago, fabian said:

I didn't mean it that way, I am glad and thankful for any bug that you find and report!

Not sure what the other way of thinking is, but I did understand it the way you explained it.

My point was: there is a small reason to fix it because I want to bind it on my mouse, not on my keyboard.

@fabian is it possible to add a switch function between versions of SDL libraries?

Edited by MAJ

You type the @   character then start typing the user's name and a list should pop up

The problem where the music volume slider acts as the master volume for the entire program is back again for me.

This happens when I choose native midi in the setup program. OPL works fine.

I wonder if other windows users have this problem with v5.4? I'm on windows 10 myself.

I have the same behaviour in chocolate doom 3.0.0 and prboom+ with preferred midi player set to sdl.

(I choose portmidi in prboom+ to solve the mixing problem and it sounds the same as sdl)

So I think it's sdl and windows related, maybe not even a crispy bug.

I also have the crispy doom versions 20181127 and 20181216 and the sound mixing works there perfectly.

I tried replacing the SDL2_mixer.dll from 5.4 with the one from 20181216 and to my surprise it actually solved the sound problem.

Edited by Dwaze

19 hours ago, fabian said:

@vadrig4r Could you pelase perform another test with this binary?

crispy-doom_20181221.zip

@fabian Excellent, seems to be working perfectly now! No black screens or crashes with any combination of toggling Vsync or Smooth Pixel Shading. Thanks for the amazing support and commitment to Crispy Doom.

@VGA thanks, in previous post I just copied nickname after "@" character and it's not triggered.

@Dwaze open "crispy-doom.cfg" config, find "use_libsamplerate" parameter and set it to 0. It resolves the problem for me on any versions.

Edited by MAJ

On 12/21/2018 at 1:54 PM, Looper said:

My point was: there is a small reason to fix it because I want to bind it on my mouse, not on my keyboard.

Just tested on Linux and it works as expected, i.e. one turn per mouse click. :-/

On 12/21/2018 at 2:43 PM, MAJ said:

@fabian is it possible to add a switch function between versions of SDL libraries?

You could simply replace the files on your hard disc...

8 hours ago, MAJ said:

@Dwaze open "crispy-doom.cfg" config, find "use_libsamplerate" parameter and set it to 0. It resolves the problem for me on any versions.

Unfortunately setting use_libsamplerate to 0 did not work for me, but thanks!

I tested v5.4 on my brother's pc who also has win 10 but I get the same result.

8 hours ago, MAJ said:

@Dwaze try to replace the SDL2.dll, SDL2_mixer.dll and SDL2_net.dll files from choco release.

Yes that works :). I only needed the sdl2_mixer.dll from chocolate doom though.

I said earlier I had the same sound problem in chocolate doom 3.0.0, but it's actually working now for me. Probably messed things up...

Any chance to implement some additional information to the HUD? A bit similar to PrBoom+'s Advanced HUD that would show killed and remaining monsters, timer and triggered secrets.

For example: K: 123/452, S: 2/6, T: 01:12

One of the main reasons why PrBoom+ is so popular in speedrunning is because of this Advanced HUD. No other source port gives this advantage.

Could you add some kind of "back mirror" to the upper right corner (or possibly the position and sizecould be defined from the config), so that one can see behind him? A bit similar to zdaemon's 1on1, where you can check where the other player is without F12, but instead it would show 180 degrees behind you.

Also radar for the monsters in radius R. R = map units, defined in the configs too.

Third one is to have current health in number floating above the monsters.

Also, damage dealt to the monsters is a good indicator. Those numbers could pop up a bit similar like in Final Fantasy series, so you see how much you roll with a direct BFG hit etc. even though that is not very important aspect, it is still something.

Oh, and the exact coordinates of the player would be very nice too. It helps a lot with the guideless glides. So for example, if I hit a key, it will show something like: X = 256.00000016 and Y = 16.130000000 for the player's coordinates. (Need many digits for this one).

The advanced HUD that I asked for, could also count all "monster killed monster" kills to have better track on the magnitude of infights.

Huge thanks! Sorry for the many requests but those came to my mind.

Edited by Looper

11 hours ago, Looper said:

Could you add some kind of "back mirror" to the upper right corner (or possibly the position and sizecould be defined from the config), so that one can see behind him? A bit similar to zdaemon's 1on1, where you can check where the other player is without F12, but instead it would show 180 degrees behind you.

So, tangibly related (and this probably isn't a quick solution for what you're looking for here, you'll see why):

Thanks to Chocolate, Crispy has access to a three-screen mode. The left and right views are spectator drones, with the views for each window rotated 90 and 270 degrees - and they run as separate instances, meaning you can run a separate config file for additional views, so that they're sized/positioned exactly the way you want them. And thanks to how these modes are set up, adding a back view is trivial. (literally: in "d_net.c", duplicate the code for one of the left/right views, change the view angle offset to "ANG180", and change its command line parameter to "-back")

The downside to this is that the mode relies on multiplayer. All the multiplayer-only things are present, you have all the menu limitations that come with a multiplayer game, etc. If this mode could somehow be altered so that it runs in normal Doom (ie, a single instance of Doom that opens a second or third view window), you'd basically have what you need - though I suspect getting this to function would be far less trivial.

I rather play on crispy but I am more of a max guy, and if u do uv-max and want to check ur kill stats u have to press the auto-map, wich is not very convinient when u are recording( a advanced Hub ala prboom+ what looper suggested would be great  Also, would it even be possible to add more lights to crispy in stead of gamma correction which makes it a little to grey(ish) something that prboom does whith glboom sector lightning? 

Edited by doomaddict82

So it's time for wishes, right?

On 12/31/2018 at 3:18 PM, Looper said:

One of the main reasons why PrBoom+ is so popular in speedrunning is because of this Advanced HUD. No other source port gives this advantage.

@Looper and @doomaddict82 would it help to show the Automap stats in-game? I am really reluctant to redesign this widget another time.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:58 PM, Looper said:

This one is probably complicated, but @Lollie is right with the way this should get implemented. I'll have a look at it.

Also radar for the monsters in radius R. R = map units, defined in the configs too.

So, this would be another line in the HUD showing the number of monsters within radius R?

Third one is to have current health in number floating above the monsters.

Another tricky one. This time, I don't even have an idea how to achieve that. :/

Oh, and the exact coordinates of the player would be very nice too. It helps a lot with the guideless glides. So for example, if I hit a key, it will show something like: X = 256.00000016 and Y = 16.130000000 for the player's coordinates. (Need many digits for this one).

Again, would this be another line in the HUD or would it be sufficient to have this as a player message (updated each tic) for a given amount of time?

Huge thanks! Sorry for the many requests but those came to my mind.

No problem! I'll see what I can do but won't give promises here. ;)

Do you happen to have an account on Github? As you might imagine, topics are pretty much intersecting in this thread and there is high risk that I forget about such requests if they aren't properly tracked anywhere.

it will show something like: X = 256.00000016 and Y = 16.130000000 for the player's coordinates. (Need many digits for this one).

Does this only need X and Y coordinates? No Z? No Angle?

5 minutes ago, fabian said:

Does this only need X and Y coordinates? No Z? No Angle?

Just X and Y. Player's angle is interesting point. I would add it, especially if it's possible to have just 256 different numbers for it when using -shorttics / -record.

How about an option to choose which corner the stats are in? As it is now, I see you've left some room for the usual messages to still appear, but I quite like the idea of it sitting on top of the status bar.

Also, are automap/hud stats for Heretic any more likely than they were the last time I asked?

Since people are requesting features... I figured I might request a little something too :v. 

Something hit me while I was browsing the list of features and ran into the gamma corrections. More exactly, what about darker gamma corrections?

I think it would be a neat addition to the source port to keep the look more in line with how the game looked like back in the day, considering nowadays' monitors make the game look a bit brighter than how it was on CRTs. Doom Retro might be already already doing this but... I don't think it hurts to ask, and if there's no interest or desire to implement such a feature well, I can live without it.