Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

The Windows ZIP no longer contains any of the text files and _quite_ a number of DLLs, such as zlib; will this be a problem?

Also missing are the binaries for Heretic/Hexen/Strife, although I think I'm right in saying these don't change from version to version...

For those of you not reading the first two sentences of the release announcement: ;-)

Windows "releases" from 5.5 onward will be based on the daily builds and use their SDL libraries with the default audio backend.

This means that from now on I will not package new Crispy Doom releases for Windows myself anymore. Releases will be tagged commits in the GIT repository and the convenience binary releases for Windows users will be the daily builds from that very day. I have fought endless fights with sound related issues apparently caused by the SDL libraries that I compile my binaries against and got tired of users reporting back that everything works as expected once they replaced them with the DLLs from the daily builds or the Choco releases. Now, all these releases use the same set of libraries and, yes, their dependencies have also changed, but this won't be a problem.

Regarding documentation, it's all available online and tends to be out of date five minutes after the release, anyway. ;-)

Regarding Heretic / Hexen / Strife, they will not be part of any release (anymore) until someone volunteers to maintain them with the goal to bring them up on par with Crispy Doom, i.e. with an in-game Crispness menu and all that stuff. My own interest in these games is quite limited, to say the least. I have decided this in good faith, I just want to avoid raising false expectations regarding the development of these games. If required, I can upload the binaries from time to time independent of an actual release. Like, here they are. ;-)

crispy-nondoom-5.5-win32.zip

Great stuff there! Exact in-game timer, mouse strafe sensitivity 👌

The "Show player coords" is great in speedrunning BUT ONLY when you are in practice mode. It is NOT allowed in an actual attempt though, so people have to be careful about it... maybe add a warning message about it?

Anyways, those improvements help a lot with speedrunning. Thanks for making those requests true!

What I'm asking is Do I need to merge a daily build with a previous release (that includes the other files), or are the daily releases "complete"?

On 2/28/2019 at 2:42 AM, Kroc said:

The Windows ZIP no longer contains any of the text files and _quite_ a number of DLLs, such as zlib; will this be a problem?

I have to take responsibility for the text files. I changed Chocolate Doom to use pandoc to render files out as HTML, though the build server runs a version a bit too old for the "gfm" parameter (required for correct rendering of the files). It hasn't been updated to the proper version.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:12 PM, chungy said:

I have to take responsibility for the text files. I changed Chocolate Doom to use pandoc to render files out as HTML, though the build server runs a version a bit too old for the "gfm" parameter (required for correct rendering of the files). It hasn't been updated to the proper version.

So is updating the build server in your plans?

More Xbox IWAD shenanigans. I was recording a demo where I went straight for E1M1's secret exit, just so I could claim an easy world record, and it took me to E1M9 instead of 10. Here's the demo in question so you can see for yourself.

e1m1swr.rar

12 hours ago, Zodomaniac said:

So is updating the build server in your plans?

I have contacted fraggle, it is otherwise out of anyone else's control :P

One question, was the intercept overflow bug removed in previous versions than 5.4?. Thing is, I recently experienced this bug in two separate occasions while playing a wad called Struggle. I could provide a save file to show where the most recent one happened, if needed, plus explaining what I was doing when it happened.

BTW, I'm currently using 5.4 because I wasn't aware of the newest version until yesterday heh. 

12 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

More Xbox IWAD shenanigans. I was recording a demo where I went straight for E1M1's secret exit, just so I could claim an easy world record, and it took me to E1M9 instead of 10. Here's the demo in question so you can see for yourself.

When recording or playing a demo, Crispy behaves *exactly* like Vanilla (or Choco, that is) regarding level progression. There is no way you could record a demo in Vanilla Doom that leads you from E1M1 to E1M10, so this is impossible in Crispy as well.

8 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

One question, was the intercept overflow bug removed in previous versions than 5.4?. Thing is, I recently experienced this bug in two separate occasions while playing a wad called Struggle. I could provide a save file to show where the most recent one happened, if needed, plus explaining what I was doing when it happened.

Hm, no. The limit was removed in 5.1, it was merely raised before, but nothing else that I (or the changelog) could remember.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:52 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

BTW, I'm currently using 5.4 because I wasn't aware of the newest version until yesterday heh. 

Do the intercepts overflows happen in 5.5?

On 3/6/2019 at 6:41 AM, Zodomaniac said:

Do the intercepts overflows happen in 5.5?

Forgot to reply, I haven't used 5.5. yet. There's a map in JPCP that I can test, so if I experience one I'll post it here.

Hi, I know this is an old topic, but I have a question regarding crispy-doom-setup.exe. So I try to open it by both clicking on it and using Run but for some reason it closes after a few seconds. I have no idea why it does that. How can I get it to open properly?

9 hours ago, El Franko said:

Hi, I know this is an old topic,

Is it?

9 hours ago, El Franko said:

I have no idea why it does that.

Me neither. Do you have write access to the directory that you are running crispy-doom-setup from?

When using -record command, it is now possible to use save/load. That's great! Problem is that it automatically pauses if you load. Really annoying, hence I personally prefer -shorttics command (along with extra shortcut) over the unneccessary pause.

Tiny suggestion: when crispydoom tries to overwrite a demo, for example test000.lmp, it names it test001.lmp instead. This is a feature I really like, BUT it stopping to the number test999.lmp is actually not enough. Would be great if it was up to 99999. I know there are some demos that required at least 20 000 attempts, meaning 20 000 demo files.

13 hours ago, fabian said:

Me neither. Do you have write access to the directory that you are running crispy-doom-setup from?

No to be bothersome, but did you mean to say "write access" or "right access"? If it's write access, then can you explain what you mean by that?

6 hours ago, El Franko said:

No to be bothersome, but did you mean to say "write access" or "right access"? If it's write access, then can you explain what you mean by that?

Processes that you start must be allowed to write files to the directory, else it will be impossible to create the config files. Another question, do you happen to have Avast Antivir installed?

How is playing back a demo with a loadgame in progress supposed to work? Should the demo be continued from a loaded game after loading? Because it doesn't.

39 minutes ago, Zodomaniac said:

How is playing back a demo with a loadgame in progress supposed to work? Should the demo be continued from a loaded game after loading? Because it doesn't.

It's meant solely for practicing, so you don't have to restart recording over and over again. Of course, this will not result in a syncing demo. ;-)

The game will have to pause while the menu is open to avoid demo desyncing, but it should un-pause when leaving the menu again. If it doesn't after loading has finished, I willl have to debug this. Things sure were easier when loading was still forbidden during demo recording. ;-)

43 minutes ago, fabian said:

If it doesn't after loading has finished, I willl have to debug this.

Yes, this is the case. When you hit Enter lo load game, the game loads but the engine stays paused.

7 hours ago, fabian said:

Processes that you start must be allowed to write files to the directory, else it will be impossible to create the config files. Another question, do you happen to have Avast Antivir installed?

No, I don't have Avast Antivir installed.

I have a feature suggestion: Would it be possible to add "fake 3D" Y-shearing perspective correction like in DelphiDoom?

Seems to be a post-processing trick that adjusts the perspective of the player view to give a pseudo-3D look in freelook. I've read the rendering technique has been improved in the newer versions, so it might look better than this video which is from an older build. I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen this implemented in other software-rendered ports (that I know of) because I think this would be pretty cool and could give Crispy a less distorted, more 3D appearance in freelook!

On 3/19/2019 at 5:20 AM, Triple_sSs said:

I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen this implemented in other software-rendered ports (that I know of) because I think this would be pretty cool and could give Crispy a less distorted, more 3D appearance in freelook!

It seems that segs aren't vertical anymore with non-horizontal viewing angles in this video. I have no idea how this can be achieved, but I bet it will be quite a performance killer? Could someone please give me a hint where I can find the actual implementation?

in Delphi Doom source code. ;-)

no, segs are still vertical, "3D" look is done by postprocessing the screen. it basically renders the relevant parts as usual (omiting some small parts camera cannot see, and rendering some additional parts camera can see, but this is still the usual doom rendering with strictly vertical columns), and then distorts the picture so it looks "3D" (kinda like mode7 did back then).

On 3/20/2019 at 5:14 PM, ketmar said:

in Delphi Doom source code. ;-)

I am not fluent in Pascal/Delphi and there are way more files in this source tree than I am used to. :-/

Maybe you could discuss with @jval on how to implement the feature, or even backport the fake3D code to C? Idk if that's something he's done before though.