Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

Congrats on the release.

Rather than asking this on github, I figured I'd ask here first.  What are your thoughts on adding support for MASTERLEVELS.WAD so that if the wad exists in the same folder as DOOM2.WAD, it is auto-loaded, and is shown as an additional episode (similar to NRTFL)?

On 4/17/2020 at 1:44 PM, kaleb. said:

so happy to see finally see heretic getting some crispness

I concur. I'd also like to make the following small suggestion: Allow "use artifact" to be binded to a mouse button.

7 hours ago, versificator said:

Getting yet another virus hit, this time a completely different virus. This is from 5.8.0

image.png.c4da2cbc7c3ec199263c7a383eafea93.png

Fuck happened to this source port? lol.

4 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Fuck happened to this source port? lol.

some Very Expirienced Expert Analytic in some Very Professional AntiVirus Lab put MinGW-generated signatures into their base. because, you know, that trojan was compiled with MinGW, and VEEA knows for sure that there is only one compiler in the world -- msvc. so that trojan was definitely crafted with Virus Creation Tool. and then it spred, because such idiocity spreads in av industry faster than any real disease.

But now at least it's not a trojan but potentially unwanted software. BTW no threats here with the latest definitions.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:45 AM, buvk said:

Rather than asking this on github, I figured I'd ask here first.  What are your thoughts on adding support for MASTERLEVELS.WAD so that if the wad exists in the same folder as DOOM2.WAD, it is auto-loaded, and is shown as an additional episode (similar to NRTFL)?

Sure, that would be possible. But are The Master Levels even considered as a canonical episode for Doom 2? Is there any IWAD available with menu graphics lumps for the Master Levels as there is for NRFTL in the BFG Edition IWADs? Do they have specific skies, music or even par times?

Edited by fabian

6 hours ago, fabian said:

Sure, that would be possible. But are The Master Levels even considered as a canonical episode for Doom 2? Is there any IWAD available with menu graphics lumps for the Master Levels as there is for NRFTL in the BFG Edition IWADs? Do they have specific skies, music or even par times?

In DOOM II 2019, you are given the option of selecting The Master Levels when starting a new game.  I was not able to find the graphic lump in the IWAD, so I am not sure how this was accomplished.

epi.png

As for specific skies, music and par times, they are the same as the level they replace.

Here's some more info on level progression in the various versions:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Master_Levels_for_Doom_II#Level_progression

Downloaded the latest version the sounds are really high pitched almost kind of fake sounding any idea how I can fix? Win10. I messed with all the options.

Would like to inform of an issue while using the last release. Whenever I minimize the executable via windows button, the cursor shows up but crispy's screen is still there as well instead of minimizing. Then, after using ctrl+delete, I can see now crispy's icon in the bar, but when I click on it either with left or right button it doesn't maximize back, meaning I'll still see the folder in which crispy is in, so the only way then to close the executable is via ctrl+delete. 

For example in 5.4 this doesn't happen, and it's the version I've been using because I never remember to update. Thing is I can't tell if this was carried from a subsequent version to 5.4. or not...

EDIT: oh also, seems like "reset/skip level" keys don't work in crispy heretic?, I have them binded to home and page down respectively just like in doom.

Edited by galileo31dos01

On 4/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, buvk said:

In DOOM II 2019, you are given the option of selecting The Master Levels when starting a new game.

Pfft, Crispy Doom 5.9.0 can do the same... when it's released. ;)

Hey, first of all, love crispy doom and thanks for all the hard work :) Has anyone suggested supersampling rendering at all? The only enhancement in this port I prefer not to use is high res rendering, because it makes it feel less "Doom" like to me and fogs up the nostalgia goggles. I made a supersampling mock-up using the current high res feature and scaling back down to 320x200 for comparison, it looks a lot softer but I think some people may find that preferable, it preserves the "low res" look, and it might look great in motion.

doom_320_3_normal.png

doom_320_3_supersampling.png

So you mean rendering at 2x native and downscaling with some filtering?

Has anything changed in the latest Crispy DOOM (5.8.0) compared to the previous version (5.7.2) regarding the DOOM HUD display when in the AutoMap?

5.7.2: the HUD is not shown on the AutoMap screen (correct classic/vanilla DOOM behaviour).

5.8.0: the HUD is now always shown at the bottom, regardless of whatever "screen size" option you set.

(So even if you choose the "maximum" size, where no HUD is shown during gameplay, the HUD will show in the AutoMap screen).

I have tested FreeDOOM, Ultimate Doom and DOOM II WADs and all show the HUD in the AutoMap screen on 5.8.0; none do in 5.7.2.

It's likely a side-effect of the changes to the statusbar to allow the full bar to be used with widescreen rendering.

That said,

29 minutes ago, dftf said:

the HUD is not shown on the AutoMap screen (correct classic/vanilla DOOM behaviour).

this is not actually Vanilla Doom behaviour; Vanilla always displays the statusbar on the automap.

@plums: yes, you're right -- my bad!  It's amazing how fast you get used to something in a Source Port and remember it as normal!

Hopefully this can get fixed -- I'll use 5.7.2 for now instead as having the HUD on the AutoMap screen makes for awkward screenshots currently, as some maps cannot be sized small-enough for some of the map not to be hidden below the HUD.

I'll try seeing if turning wide-screen off or disabling the "correct aspect ratio" might affect this...

Okay, I've tried with "widescreen rendering" set to off and in the crispy-setup.exe turned "Force correct aspect ratio" to off but in any combination of those settings, the HUD now always shows in the AutoMap on 5.8.0, regardless of whether your "screen size" is set to one that would usually hide the HUD in normal gameplay.

It seems right now when Crispy Heretic displays "A Secret is Revealed", it probably plays a sound effect that doesn't exist. It just plays a very short weird sound.

Right now, if you exit the level in a whole minute time (eg: 8:00), it will only display the minute, like "time 8" instead of "time 8:00". Sorry for being lazy that I didn't verify whether this happens in the original Dos.

Thanks so much for the update of Crispy Heretic. The uncapped framerate looks really cool.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

It seems right now when Crispy Heretic displays "A Secret is Revealed", it probably plays a sound effect that doesn't exist. It just plays a very short weird sound.

The sound is a Chicken bawk, CHICPK3, that is in heretic.wad but not normally used in-game. I guess it was chosen because it's an otherwise-unused sound, but I agree it's a weird choice.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

Right now, if you exit the level in a whole minute time (eg: 8:00), it will only display the minute, like "time 8" instead of "time 8:00"

I can verify that this also happens in Chocolate Heretic. Don't have Dos Heretic around right now so I can't test there. This also happens in vanilla Heretic too. Not sure if that's the kind of bug that should get preserved in Chocolate or not.

Here's a Chocolate Heretic savegame saved at 1:00 on E1M1, load it and then immediately press use to test.

hticsav5_1.00timer.zip

Edited by plums

On 4/22/2020 at 3:40 PM, kyuwert said:

Hey, first of all, love crispy doom and thanks for all the hard work :) Has anyone suggested supersampling rendering at all?

I have implemented this in Chocolate Doom before. There are two ways to go about it.

1) Supersampling directly in R_DrawColumn() and R_DrawSpan() Upside to this is it's non-intrusive, easy to implement (you can even abuse the translucency LUT in Heretic to do this), and doesn't require any extra memory. Downside is that you have to add a check for anti-aliasing in a couple of places in the renderer, which may slow it down even when you don't have the flag enabled. Another downside is that you can't do anti-aliasing on the edges of sprites or the tops/bottoms of walls this way.

2) Simply render the screen at a higher resolution, downscale, then upscale using nearest neighbor. This will probably be the preferred method since Crispy already supports higher resolutions anyway. Only real downside is it would require more memory, and care would have to be taken to make sure the HUD weapon isn't at a "sub-pixel position", which would cause it to get blurred during downscaling. It would also cause the shimmering on the fuzz effect to become a lot less noticable, since you would be averaging pixels together that are pulling from both above and below, making the whole process a wash.

32 minutes ago, plums said:

The sound is a Chicken bawk, CHICPK3, that is in heretic.wad but not normally used in-game. I guess it was chosen because it's an otherwise-unused sound, but I agree it's a weird choice.

Thanks for the info. All of those CHICPK1~3 sound effects sound like being cut off or probably it's not actually packed into the WAD to me, but of course, this is just my feeling... Probably a better sound should be picked, or I can just replace this with something else just for my own use.

It seem this is originated from the dos version (I was too lazy to try, but I found out I somehow installed the steam version, but, again, I was too lazy to download your file and put it in, but, the third time, it wasted more time for not doing so, so please don't focus on this dumb thing from me... wait... I said it already :P)

heretic.jpg.281c7b192853507ea86ced42f8f2d30c.jpg

Regarding the status bar, it will remain on the automap. The previous implementation was just a hack because I didn't have the code to handle widescreen+statusbar yet. The current state is faithful to Vanilla Doom.

Regarding Heretic, if the intermission screen only shows full minutes if the number of seconds is zero, then it will stay like this - of course - in Chocolate Heretic and most likely also in Crispy Heretic. Because, what's wrong with it?

The "Secret Revealed" sound in Heretic may be an odd choice (it wasn't mine *duck*). Does anyone have a suggestion for a better sound? Is there a multiplayer-only sound available in Heretic, like the item respawn sound that I currently use in Doom as a fallback? How about "telept", "respawn" or "chat" otherwise?

Regarding supersampling, no thank you. You currently have the choice of smooth or crisp pixel scaling in the Crispness menu. Smooth scaling already does some up- and downsamling and I am not convinced that more options do any good here. Visual appearance is very subjective, what pleases one group of people is anoying to others.

Edited by fabian : suggest some specific Heretic sounds