Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

im trying to build crispy doom in ubuntu but i keep running into this issue...same thing is happening when trying to build eternity too

Screenshot_2019-03-25_21-13-19.png

edit: aaaand i find an answer right after posting this, turns i needed to install libsdl2-dev, libsdl2-mixer-dev, and libsdl2-net-dev, hope this helps out anyone else in the future lol

Edited by kaleb.

What version of Ubuntu are you running? You should make sure that the source code repositories are opened. If they weren't already, make sure you apt(-get/itude) update before you proceed further.

9 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

What version of Ubuntu are you running? You should make sure that the source code repositories are opened. If they weren't already, make sure you apt(-get/itude) update before you proceed further.

well as i said in my edit i found the answer legit 10 minutes after posting lol

@fabian could you add options to disable quick save\load confirmation and turn off libsamplerate in crispness menu please?

Edited by MAJ

Here's a question I never thought to ask. How does Crispy Doom handle overflows? Spechits, Reject, Intercepts, etc. Does it behave like when PrBoom-Plus has those features turned off? Does it behave like those features are turned on?

6 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

Here's a question I never thought to ask. How does Crispy Doom handle overflows? Spechits, Reject, Intercepts, etc. Does it behave like when PrBoom-Plus has those features turned off? Does it behave like those features are turned on?

To be precise, it handles them like Choco but without the crashes. In PrBoom+ there is an "Emulation" menu. If you enable all "Try to emulate it" features, this should be the best guess.

@fraggle did some changes to the music substitution code some time ago. These changes didn't make it into an official Chocolate Doom release, yet, but I already merged the code into Crispy. I am not sure what are the implication of these changes, but maybe fraggle could elaborate on this?

51 minutes ago, fabian said:

@fraggle did some changes to the music substitution code some time ago. These changes didn't make it into an official Chocolate Doom release, yet, but I already merged the code into Crispy. I am not sure what are the implication of these changes, but maybe fraggle could elaborate on this?

Hey that's cool, I didn't know you guys worked together on your source ports.

7 hours ago, fabian said:

That's correct and it looks like you're in the slightly confusing period where Crispy is using the new simplified setup process while the instructions on the website are for the older process.

To answer your questions:

16 hours ago, Dobermann said:

In the sound settings I made sure Music is set to Native MIDI and then I put the cfg files into the music pack directory. Same goes for the soundtracks and I renamed the folders so they match the cfg files names respectively (because every soundtrack folder was named MUSIC). So it is described here: Chocolate Doom WIKI

You shouldn't need any .cfg files any more. Just open the music pack folder and extract all the Doom and Doom II music pack files into that folder. Don't put them in any subfolders. That's it - you should be done. It picks up the files by filename.

Now comes the part where I don't understand anymore how Crispy Doom handles the music packs. When I switch the music settings back to Soundblaster, Crispy Doom still uses the MIDI music packs. Is it, that Crispy uses music from the music pack folder in the first place regardless of music settings?

That's correct. Music packs used to only work when using native playback, and someone complained that it was confusing so I changed it to work regardless of what music device you're using. I'm still not sure that was the right decision and your comment is making me reconsider it a bit.

One thing you can do is run the game with -nomusicpacks on startup to disable them temporarily. Or you can move the files into a subdirectory to temporarily disable them (not a great solution but it should work).

The next thing is, I wanted to have SC-55 music for Plutonia as well. There is a solution mentioned on the above said website how to create your own Plutonia music pack. The thing is, I'd miss a cfg file I need. I tested Plutonia regardless just to hear the difference in sound quality and was pleasantly surprised to hear that it uses the SC-55 music even without a dedicated music pack. Out of curiosity I tested the No Rest For The Living WAD (nerve.wad) as well and it used SC-55 music (even the correct tracks).

Now my question regarding this is: How is this possible?????

Plutonia's music just consists of "recycled" tracks from Doom and Doom II. The music replacement system works based on content, so it'll detect that it's the same track and that it has a replacement for it regardless of what WAD file it finds it in. This even works in PWAD files; for example, Alien Vendetta reuses certain tracks from Doom and Doom II, and you'll get the high quality versions when playing that, too.

6 hours ago, Beezle said:

Hey that's cool, I didn't know you guys worked together on your source ports.

Yep, you can think of it like a tree with Chocolate Doom at the base of the tree, Crispy and Doom Retro branch off from it and now others like Marshmallow Doom and Russian Doom branch off from Crispy. So any changes and improvements to Choco gradually propagate down the tree to the other source ports :)

And of course we contribute directly to each others' ports as well. Fabian has done a whole bunch of great work on Choco and I recently sent my first pull request to Crispy too. 

Now that I've found out it's that easy I've been experimenting with it, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it even works if a Doom PWAD borrows a Heretic track and you have a song titled "MUS_E#M#" in the corresponding folder... for the most part. Having one titled "MUS_E1M9" at least seems to work on Map02 of SlayeR, but it causes Alien Vendetta to crash when you reach the intermission screen or Map32.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:08 PM, Looper said:

The "Show player coords" is great in speedrunning BUT ONLY when you are in practice mode. It is NOT allowed in an actual attempt though, so people have to be careful about it... maybe add a warning message about it?

show player coords needs to be marked as TAS or a cheat to make this clear.

On 5/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, fraggle said:

That's correct and it looks like you're in the slightly confusing period where Crispy is using the new simplified setup process while the instructions on the website are for the older process.

To answer your questions:

You shouldn't need any .cfg files any more. Just open the music pack folder and extract all the Doom and Doom II music pack files into that folder. Don't put them in any subfolders. That's it - you should be done. It picks up the files by filename.

That's correct. Music packs used to only work when using native playback, and someone complained that it was confusing so I changed it to work regardless of what music device you're using. I'm still not sure that was the right decision and your comment is making me reconsider it a bit.

One thing you can do is run the game with -nomusicpacks on startup to disable them temporarily. Or you can move the files into a subdirectory to temporarily disable them (not a great solution but it should work).

Plutonia's music just consists of "recycled" tracks from Doom and Doom II. The music replacement system works based on content, so it'll detect that it's the same track and that it has a replacement for it regardless of what WAD file it finds it in. This even works in PWAD files; for example, Alien Vendetta reuses certain tracks from Doom and Doom II, and you'll get the high quality versions when playing that, too.

Yep, you can think of it like a tree with Chocolate Doom at the base of the tree, Crispy and Doom Retro branch off from it and now others like Marshmallow Doom and Russian Doom branch off from Crispy. So any changes and improvements to Choco gradually propagate down the tree to the other source ports :)

And of course we contribute directly to each others' ports as well. Fabian has done a whole bunch of great work on Choco and I recently sent my first pull request to Crispy too. 

*imagines the amount of work for someone to do Chinese Doom.*

is there no way to play at 1920x1080 resolution? all I can find is the option to disable or enable fullscreen and I can only change the resolution settings in the windowed mode? I'm probably missing something there, please help me out

So, you want fullscreen with a limited resolution, i.e black borders around the picture? I still remember the times when people filed bug reports because they wanted to *avoid* this at any cost. 

4 minutes ago, fabian said:

So, you want fullscreen with a limited resolution, i.e black borders around the picture? I still remember the times when people filed bug reports because they wanted to *avoid* this at any cost. 

I want my 1080p screen to be filled

I can stretch the aspect ratio to fit in the screen but the resolution just isn't right

Spoiler

RG9Axdn.png

Edited by ([zen3001])

If you want proper aspect ratio on a screen 1080 px high the picture would need to be (1080 * 640 / 480) = 1440 px wide. There is currently no way to extend the field-of-view in Crispy to keep proper aspect ratio with non-multiples of 640x480.

Would it be possible to make Spectres bleeding fuzzy blood a separate option from "Colored Blood and Corpses"? When they're especially hard to see, it's very useful when you can at least see their blood.

13 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

Would it be possible to make Spectres bleeding fuzzy blood a separate option from "Colored Blood and Corpses"? When they're especially hard to see, it's very useful when you can at least see their blood.

I'd like to avoid micro-management and keep the number of individual choices low.

Crispy Doom 5.5.2 has a tiny error with the sound:

Doom 2 Map04, when you go stand on the crate that lowers one of the crates for the red key, there's a light switch near it. If you spam it very fast, it doesn't play all of the sounds, even though it should. Older version (I think 5.0) did play it for every activation. You can spam it very fast in the original Doom.

Do you have the "Play sounds at full length" feature enabled? If so, playing sounds in rapid succession would mean they would have to interrupt each other. 

Okay, I got it. This was a fix I introduced a while back:

A single line can have up to three switch textures (upper, lower and mid texture). In Vanilla, if you hit "Use" on that line, only the switch on the upper texture would get changed. I fixed this, so that all three textures would get changed - but that would also mean that the same "switch flipping" sound would be played three times from the same source. In order to prevent a three-times-as-loud "dang!" in your headphones, I allowed a single line to emit the same sound only once. This has the side effect that the line cannot emit the same sound again if this would mean to interrupt an already playing sound. I'll see if I can fix this in a more conservative way.

I apologize if this is already documented, but how do I launch the BFG edition wads with the parameter if the wads have the same name as the original wads?

@fabian they are back. I tried to play SIGIL on latest devbuild and got cartoon sounds with distorted picture during fast camera turns if vsync is off. Sorry but I cant record it cuz there is no any distortion in the video. What happened? I have no problems with 5.5.2 version.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:15 AM, MAJ said:

@fabian could you add options to disable quick save\load confirmation and turn off libsamplerate in crispness menu please?

And what about this request? There will no such options?

8 minutes ago, MAJ said:

@fabian they are back. I tried to play SIGIL on latest devbuild and got cartoon sounds with distorted picture during fast camera turns if vsync is off. Sorry but I cant record it cuz there is no any distortion in the video. What happened? I have no problems with 5.5.2 version.

Might have something to do with SDL. Perhaps?

This got my attention from Choco's Github:

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/issues/1171

New SDL could be a mess.

26 minutes ago, MAJ said:

And what about this request? There will no such options?

I don't think so. I hate too fine-grained options for this and that and everything. 

19 minutes ago, seed said:

Might have something to do with SDL. Perhaps?

SDL bugs for sure. 5.5.2 was released with older SDL libs than what the daily builds provide. 

7 minutes ago, fabian said:

SDL bugs for sure. 5.5.2 was released with older SDL libs than what the daily builds provide. 

It's funny isn't it? A while ago it was the other way around if I'm not mistaken.

Newer SDL also has issues with vsync too, I think. Last time I checked an older Crispy (and Choco) daily build with older SDL I found that vsync was flawless and butter smooth, no such thing could be said about the newer versions that came with the stable releases until that point. No SDL-based source port is smooth with vsync enabled on my end, the only one that is, is GZDoom.