Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

CHAT may be a better alternative sound since it's only used with certain menu commands and Multiplayer.

I think Doom should also have a backup secret sound to avoid crashes with IWADs up to 1.2. But looking through what's available (and still would be in a shareware IWAD), the best I can think of is DSSWTCHX. Maybe DSSAWFUL because the player's unlikely to mistake it for another event, or one of the PC speaker sounds?

18 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I think Doom should also have a backup secret sound to avoid crashes with IWADs up to 1.2. But looking through what's available (and still would be in a shareware IWAD), the best I can think of is DSSWTCHX. Maybe DSSAWFUL because the player's unlikely to mistake it for another event, or one of the PC speaker sounds?

I have avoided crashes with early IWADs in the current GIT, but don't want to introduce yet another fallback sound. If you insist on playing with such an early IWAD, you'll get no sound when revealing a secret, it's that easy.

I'm sorry, I should have checked the daily build. And I should have pointed out the issue when I first noticed it instead of waiting for the conversation to reach a point where I could dive in and say "speaking of..."

You'd think a guy so afraid of being seen as a nuisance would be more careful about these things.

@SiFi270 Never mind, all is fine, I hope I didn't sound rude to you! But please understand that I support v1.2 and earlier IWADs only to the point that they don't crash. I see no reason in trying to keep up every minor feature for each IWAD version.

31 minutes ago, unerxai said:

@fabian Sorry for being repetitive but do you have an opinion regarding the implementation of this?

You might want to create a pull request for Chocolate Doom. Extending input like this is generally considered okayish. 

Edit: However, IIRC we are currently limited to 5 mouse buttons, so this might not come out as you wush anyway. 

31 minutes ago, fabian said:

You might want to create a pull request for Chocolate Doom. Extending input like this is generally considered okayish. 

Edit: However, IIRC we are currently limited to 5 mouse buttons, so this might not come out as you wush anyway. 

Oh I apologize if it sounded like I wanted to program it myself, lol. I was just merely suggesting it as an end user. I understand if it's not of that much importance for you though.

I think 5 buttons are more than enough for games like these. In ports that don't have separate menus for mouse and keyboard controls (e.g. GZDoom, Doomsday) I'd have:

left click: fire

right click: jump (Hexen)

mousewheel: scan inventory

middle click: use artifact

Ah, for some reason I was thinking of "one mouse button per artifact". Now this makes a lot more sense! 

Whenever I play a netgame, deathmatch weapons stay. Is there any way I can make deathmatch weapons not appear in Netgames? Is there a command or something?

By "deathmatch weapons" i mean for example the rocket launcher, BFG and SSG in Map01.

14 hours ago, fabian said:

Regarding Heretic, if the intermission screen only shows full minutes if the number of seconds is zero, then it will stay like this - of course - in Chocolate Heretic and most likely also in Crispy Heretic. Because, what's wrong with it?

Now I know it's a thing in Dos, I don't mind it. It's just funny that the first time I used Crispy Heretic, I got a whole minute time, and I thought Crispy Heretic was broken, lol, but it is certainly a bit strange they designed it this way, or it's just an overlook.

For the sound choice, I am with Dwars using CHAT.

@GarrettChan Actually I've made a fix for the time display that should be in the next version of Crispy Heretic, and also gets rid of the leading 0. My reasoning was that normally when something displays a minute unit with no seconds unit, it means "this many minutes and some amount of seconds," rather than "this many minutes exactly."

From the looks of it, it was an intentional choice, which is indeed strange.

23 hours ago, plums said:

@GarrettChan Actually I've made a fix for the time display that should be in the next version of Crispy Heretic, and also gets rid of the leading 0. My reasoning was that normally when something displays a minute unit with no seconds unit, it means "this many minutes and some amount of seconds," rather than "this many minutes exactly."

Thanks. I guess they somehow made a "if (second == 0) don't display" kind of line there for some odd reason? That's why the first time I saw it, I thought something was broken. Anyway, I'm not opposing to keeping the original weirdness of these games. I love Crispy Heretic and Crispy Hexen because they offer mostly vanilla gameplay without using the clumsy DosBox.

Has anyone noticed any issues with g-sync in Crispy?  It seldom works for me in Crispy using default config.  It seems to work all the time with Choco.

I've followed the guide to compile and install crispy for mac (10.13.6 high sierra) on the github wiki. Whenever crispy needs to play .flac or .mp3 files, it displays "Error loading midi: Unrecognized audio format" and no music is played. However, .ogg files work fine.

`brew info sdl2_mixer` in the terminal shows that while libvorbis is a requirement for sdl2_mixer, but there is no mention of flac or mp3.

I have a feeling I need to install some more packages, but I'm new to all this. Any suggestions appreciated.

Edit: It turns out after some intense googling that the default homebrew formula for sdl2_mixer has flac, mp3 etc. disabled for some stupid reason. They also removed options like --with flac, --with mpg123, --with fluidsynth etc.

So I installed sdl2_mixer using an alternative formula instead:

brew install --with-mpg123 --with-flac --with-libmikmod --with-fluid-synth https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/a9114e/Formula/sdl2_mixer.rb

Edited by icecream : solved

On 4/18/2020 at 10:48 PM, Lila Feuer said:

Fuck happened to this source port? lol.

Nothing. It's a false positive caused by some shitty antivirus software.

If NERVE.WAD and/or MASTERLEVELS.WAD are auto-loaded for Doom 2 IWADS, Crispy crashes with a segmentation fault when switching between episodes during any level intermission screen. 

This does not happen outside of intermission screens.

In Crispy Heretic, when you shoot the floor or ceiling, and the wand/dragon claw "puff" hits the wall below the floor and "snaps," back up to floor level (as is vanilla behavior), that motion is interpolated when the uncapped framerate is on. You probably want to add a check to suppress that.

Edited by Wagi

On 4/27/2020 at 5:40 AM, icecream said:

If NERVE.WAD and/or MASTERLEVELS.WAD are auto-loaded for Doom 2 IWADS, Crispy crashes with a segmentation fault when switching between episodes during any level intermission screen. 

This does not happen outside of intermission screens.

Fixed, thanks!

20 hours ago, Wagi said:

In Crispy Heretic, when you shoot the floor or ceiling, and the wand/dragon claw "puff" hits the wall below the floor and "snaps," back up to floor level (as is vanilla behavior), that motion is interpolated when the uncapped framerate is on. You probably want to add a check to suppress that.

Fixed, thanks!

I'm currently having a lot of fun playing through the shareware episode with Crispy Heretic. I hadn't played Heretic since the nineties, so it almost feels like I'm playing it for the first time again. I like the level design, the music and the many secrets that are hidden everywhere. This source port works great as well.

One thing that bugged me a little bit was that at first I was unable to get to the secret exit on E1M6, despite following the instructions on doomwiki. Only after going through the level again and uncovering all the remaining secrets, I noticed that the hidden passage towards the secret exit had opened up. Does anyone know which specific secrets need to be found in order to gain access to the secret exit? Maybe all of them? It would be nice to add that information to the wiki.

I have some code ready that could load all of the 20 separate Master Levels PWADs and arrange the levels internally as if they were from the single masterlevels.wad file. Would you guys be interested in this? 

3 hours ago, fabian said:

I have some code ready that could load all of the 20 separate Master Levels PWADs and arrange the levels internally as if they were from the single masterlevels.wad file. Would you guys be interested in this? 

I like this idea. Useful for people who only have the individual level wads.

45 minutes ago, buvk said:

@fabian have you considered using any of the assets in extras.wad (included in 2019)?

Never heard of this. 

4 hours ago, fabian said:

This would be wonderful. So far, the only way to do that, that I know of, is through wadsmoosh.

2 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

This would be wonderful. So far, the only way to do that, that I know of, is through wadsmoosh.

Or you can use my source port DOOM BFA, which can do it automatically once you open DOOM 2 (and no, you no longer require to own DOOM 3 BFG Edition or DOOM 3 (2019)).

2 hours ago, fabian said:

Never heard of this. 

extras.wad is included in the 2019 release

MD5: 38e1bb6cdd1e4227eef13d22f6e35209

SHA-1: 0f2a7139b640e19a08f384562f907cb0734b0512

It includes some sprites which are displayed on the map.

map.png.ac4cda2cb49925f0c533c75bbc7dbd93.png

It also includes pictures of weapons which are displayed when you use weapon up or down.

weapons.png.7f04d4341065a849371c1c3da031bead.png

Lastly, it contains an audio file called DSSECRET.  I assume they were going to use this as the sound played when a secret is found, but it doesn't look like that was implemented.  They might be using it elsewhere, but I haven't played it enough to know where.