Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fellowzdoomer

AnDoomEdit (Android Doom Level Editor) [NEVER FINISHED, NO DOWNLOAD]

Mod note: This never went anywhere - sincere apologies.

U1GC4YT.jpg

This is a project on my free time I'm making via AIDE in Java. Whether its possible or not, does it hurt to try?

My goal is to create a Doom Level Editor for Android out of Java

Features to be implented:
*Working New WAD, Load WAD and Share WAD buttons.
*Editing - Menu to add linedefs\vertexes by touch control
*Editing - Menu to edit\making sectors, touch as well.
*Built-in Nodesbuilder, Java.

Progress As Of February 8, 2014:

Configuration button coded! New WAD started (Asks for compatibility - ZDoom or Vanilla?)

Actual editor may start up this month or next month.

I'd stick with the colorless background.

Also menus are nice and all, but have you started on the actual editor yet?

Mr. Chris said:

Never thought I'd see an Android based Doom level editor..

Well, there is a first for every thing.

Nomad said:

I'd stick with the colorless background.

Why though? The background makes the main UI look OK.

Nomad said

Also menus are nice and all, but have you started on the actual editor yet?

No. I need to code in the Configuration button. That's where you add your your iwad paths at. Plus, the actual editor is the big fish here and this is more or less my first app.

IMO, at least with the screenshot used, the background is far too distracting. Way too many things happening with the image, and from a design standpoint the focus should be on the buttons. Plus it looks awful all squeezed up in portrait mode.

If you're gonna go with a background, maybe just a tiled flat like in the intermission screens.

I'd probably go with something simple and iconic like the flat FLAT5_6, or if it's too busy maybe FLOOR4_8

IMO is "In My Opinion" :)

Also I'd suggest trying to get it to just tile, not fit to screen. That way it'll look good no matter what the screen orientation. :)

Nomad said:

IMO is "In My Opinion" :)

Also I'd suggest trying to get it to just tile, not fit to screen. That way it'll look good no matter what the screen orientation. :)

Wait the tiling doesn't matter. I have it on landscape mode only.

It does matter, though--Not every android device functions at the same resolution! An image fit to screen on a phone is guaranteed to look like ass on a tablet unless it's a scalable vector.

Hmm, are you programming this from your mobile device? Neat :P but why not just use your computer with the Android SDK and ADT bundle?

printz said:

Hmm, are you programming this from your mobile device? Neat :P but why not just use your computer with the Android SDK and ADT bundle?

Cuz I don't have one.

Fellowzdoomer said:

*Working New WAD, Load WAD and Share WAD buttons.

TBQH, I think a project of this magnitude is a bit more than you can chew on at the moment, given your development platform and level of expertise, but at least I could give you a pointer towards a ready-made WAD management library: Doom Struct. It is written in Java, so you should be able to use it -in theory- with the Android SDK (but that means you have to use a real development platform).

Now, I don't know exactly how and what you can code without using a proper PC set up with the SDK and related development tools (are you using some sort of "build your own apps easily" kind of app where you just draw on the screen?), but since what you're trying to do DOES involve a lot of "real" coding (that means using libraries, writing new functions, debugging tiny details, experimenting over and over etc.) you really need to go "full blown SDK" here. There's no other way.

BTW, you're not the first one who thought of making a WAD editor for a mobile device (leaving the level editor part for later...), but sooner or later all such projects ground to a halt as soon as it was realized that in order to be any good, they would either have to be more or less direct ports of existing desktop editors (which meant a lot of library-porting/wrapping work and/or code rewriting) or writing a lot of "foundation" tools and libraries from scratch.

If you are adamant about proceeding, I'd say try making a simple WAD/LUMP management utility using Doom Struct library, allowing you to view e.g. sprites, delete/add lumps etc. before going to something as complex as a level editor.

Maes said:

BFE!!

So I'm second to attempt this. In almost the exact order, to
I'll try out the doom struct.
I'm using an app called AIDE to make this.
This is more of a learn while I code.

EDIT: times like these I wish that Visual Basic would be ported to android...

I don't think that user will update this editor as he's being banned for quite long time. Word "banned" says a lot.

45 minutes ago, 9thGrimReaper said:

How to download?

Check the dates of the original posts!

Anyway, this was never developed into a working level editor.

It's a shame, all the (good) PC based editors would require some serious recoding and redesign to be remotely viable on a mobile form factor. And the only other option is Dosbox and old deprecated DOS wad editors from years ago :(

This is an old thread and no real work was done on this thing I believe. This thread should be locked.

^ I really doubt this is real, It looks like it's just a basic menu, no proof that any editing features have been implemented whatsoever.